Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Performance & Power for Daily Driver 97 Civix Ex

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance & Power for Daily Driver 97 Civix Ex

I have been driving my 97 Civic EX 4 Door with 140,000 miles, lately. It is my main daily driver. My car is dead stock no mods have been done to it as of yet. The tranny was replaced already and is suppose to have around 20k miles on it.

I don't know a whole lot about cars but am learning and willing to learn. Just purchased a Chliton manual for my car. I am looking to do most of the upgrading, fixing, etc on my own and maybe with some help with someone who I find on craigslist.

Budget - I'm looking to spend a nice penny on fixing it up. Nothing, overly expensive for racing but enough to do the job. I'm pretty sure, there would be no point racing it unless I did a swap. I'm guessing in the range of $500-$2000. Auto tracking, I guess it's called. I wouldn't mind doing.

I'd like a faster car and better performance/handling.

What would be my first mod and ones there after. Focusing on performance/handling before exterior mods, interior mods. I don't care as much for the exterior/interior more just performance.

I drive this car daily about 50-100 miles per day and would enjoy driving a better built car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Performance & Power for Daily Driver 97 Civix Ex

When breaking, I get a shaking feeling on the steering wheel. I did a quick search on google and it looked like this was due to the rotors.

So I'm guessing, for my specific case. Fixing the rotors would be one of the first mods to accomplish. Any help in regards to which high performance rotors would be best and how to install them would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There isn't too much you can to make the car faster, without a turbo kit or a engine swap. Those engines really don't make a ton of power with out a good bit of money.

Personaly I would start in the supsension area. Coilovers/shocks,springs, bushings, rear sway bar.etc.

SI/DC rear sway bar.
Progress,koni/gc.
Bushings. Pic/hardrace, or you could go ES.

For the rotors, normally when breaking and the wheel shakes it's the rotors. They aren't terribly expensive either. Quite easy to swap aswell.

Brembo blanks are great for the money! They are awsome rotors, and can be had for a great price.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response 98civdx So to start off.

1. ROTORS - Fix the rotors? Brembo Blanks for the rotors. I read somewhere they have some with lifetime warranty?
2. COILOVERS/SHOCKS - What would go first Coilovers or shocks or they go together? I'm guessing, Ground Control coilovers and and Koni Yellow Shocks? Where would the best place to buy it be?
3. SPRINGS - What type of springs would I need to get?
4. SWAY/STRUT BAR - What combination of sway/strut bars should I get and where should I get them at?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can first start off with strut bars. Something one piece like the Password:JDM bars. Really solid but pretty pricey. Then coilovers, Koni Yellows/Ground Controls is really nice, lifetime warranty on the shocks and many people would vouch for their reliability and performance. Also, you should check all your bushings and if they are worn out you should replace them because they make a big difference.

Basically I just repeated with 98civdx said. Haha. I would also personally do suspension first. And it depends on your goals. For me, when doing spirited driving by the coast, I see Civics with suspension and single cams outrunning G35s, turbo'd 240sx, and keeping up with the Miatas.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Master Detailer

Check the market place for the rotors.

For the coilovers I would first look at progress. They are great for the money at around $500. Koni/gc in the market place can be had for $799. Thmotorsports I belive is who it was.

For the rear sway your LCA's will work fine. All you need is the sway bar, and all of the hardware/endlinks for a 99-00 si. You will need to either buy 4 10mm bolts/lock nuts, or the ASR backing plates to work correctly with your subframe.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, Rotors first.
1. Strut bar - Password: JDM. I've checked they site they got a bunch of different ones. How do you know which one is best?
2. Sway bar - one for a 99-00SI? is best? or ASR Backing plates?
3. Coilovers/Shocks? Koni Yellow/Ground Control

I'm a true newb. Is there a website that basically explains all the inner workings of a Honda Civic so I can learn exactly, what is what and how everything is used?

D3vin - I'm also in the bay area. Maybe, if your not too busy. You could help me install a thing or two. I'd pay you for your time. Of course.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Master Detailer

Strut bars are typically are a low bang for your buck mod. I would first go with sway bars, coilvers. You will see much more of an improvment with that.

But, If I were to buy them, I would go 3 point front and 4 rear.

A SI sway bar will bolt right on, the DC sway bar is 1mm bigger and may be easier to find.

The backing plates go inside in the subframe. On the SI they already have them, basicly just thread holes. Thats really all they are. On the regualr civic, we don't have threaded holes ( I found this the hard way lol) What I did was went and bought 4 bolts, and nuts, it worked like a charm. But this was before I new of the ASR backing plates.

The plates go for $14 or so shipped, my bolts/nuts cost about that.

As we don't have threaded holes we can't run the OEM si hardware going into the subframe from the bracket. ( I simply oversized them a little and slipped the bolt threw) With the backing plates you don't need to do this.

There is another bracket ( D bracket) that holds the sway bar/bushing to the bracket that holds it to the car.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i was driving today amd i believe my rotors are now really warped or damaged. When i break the car and steering wheel start to shake rapidly and it sorta losses control of the car whem drivng too fast.

Are these the rotors and brakr pads that are mesed up? I plan on researching what ones i should get and buy them online. I will them check craigslist for some help on installing them.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bluemc
So i was driving today amd i believe my rotors are now really warped or damaged. When i break the car and steering wheel start to shake rapidly and it sorta losses control of the car whem drivng too fast.

Are these the rotors and brakr pads that are mesed up? I plan on researching what ones i should get and buy them online. I will them check craigslist for some help on installing them.
If your stepping on your brakes and your steering starts shaking then your rotors are warped for sure. Also, if it's really bad you should change them out asap. It's pretty simple changing pads and rotors. Here's a DIY.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/diy-brake-rotor-repalcement-1938057/
Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ASR brace & bar will be 2/3 the price of an entry coilover system (Progress CS2 @ $600 shipped). You'll get more bang out of your buck w/ coilovers as your first suspension mod than the rear sway bars. If $$$ isn't a problem, get them both at the same time :D Do keep in mind that higher spring rates -> harsher ride.

Since my Itr brake upgrade, I've been running re-drilled brembos blank rotors, and they've held up fine. I've personally used Autozone duralast rotors, been to the track, autox, road trips, & daily commute for well over 4 years, and they've held up fine also (too bad they no longer have lifetime warranty). The only pita part in changing out the rotors is removing the retaining screws. Head to your local harbor freight and get an impact screwdriver.

finally, go buy a copy of the factory service manual (helms), or you can find pdf versions online.