Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

A/C problem

Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 A/C problem

Hi Guys,

I have an Acura EL 2004, Issue was the radiator, condenser, and clutch motor wouldn't come on. It all started during winter where the A/C got engaged and wouldn't disengage. Basically causing the heating and cooling to be on at the same time even with A/C light off and temp control set to max heat. Mechanic took a quick look, disconnected a connector and left it like that. it was a connector near the pressure switch connector. I reconnected it during the summer but A/C wont work.

I did some troubleshooting looking at the repair manual

-I checked continuity between the terminals of the pressure switch and resistance was almost 0, so that means pressure is ok and so is the pressure switch.
-I checked for voltage on one side of the connector cable that connects to the pressure switch. Voltage was there.
-troubleshooting steps didnt tell me to, but with the car started, I connected that port to ground. Everything engaged and worked fine! This is basically bypassing the pressure switch and the A/C switch inside the car.

I'm trying to figure out if it a wiring issue or somethign with the A/C switch inside the car. Instructions tell me to Measure the voltage between the No. 4 terminal of heater control panel connector A (14P) and body ground. Can someone tell me where this is located?
I assumed i had to follow these instructions but it didnt seem tooo clear. I felt I was going to damage the interior by trying it. Is the the wrong place?
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/replace-climate-heater-control-bulbs-oddmut-2201110/

I'm open to any other suggestions too
Thanks a lot for any help!

-Ryan
Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: A/C problem

You remove the HVAC panel as shown in the DIY that you linked.

The 14-pin connector that you're looking for is on the back of the Heater Control Panel, which is the one that has the fan speed, air flow direction and air temperature control ***** on it. Terminal #4 is a blue wire.

Wire side of female terminals
Old 07-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply. I was able to remove the whole Heating/climate control panel but if someone else is going to try this, I suggest searching youtube for a video on how to do it. Its a lot more involved than the pics on that link above.

I'm not getting any voltage at pin 4 which indicates there is a wiring issue between the AC pressure switch and this pin.
What options do I have now in fixing this? it seems impossible to trace the whole wire as it is within the harness.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Plead da Fif

I'd check the connections and terminals before worrying about swapping the harness.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It was a damaged cable within the harness under the hood. The car was in an accident previously and a proper repair job hadn't been done.
I checked for continuity between different portions of the cable by exposing the wire using a razor blade but making sure i expose a portion the size of a grain of sand, just enough to touch it with my multimeter leads... its the best method i could think of.

Minor issue:
should the low pressure portion of the pipe be insulated from the condenser to the evaporator? because mine is insulated only near the engine.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Plead da Fif

Originally Posted by rdemel
Minor issue:
should the low pressure portion of the pipe be insulated from the condenser to the evaporator? because mine is insulated only near the engine.
Not that I'm aware of. I'd have to take another look, but I don't remember any insulation at all. Only areas where metal line turns into rubber hose.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's probably what I was seeing. I was comparing it with my home A/C where the line is insulated.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mine wasnt insulated at all