Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

F22A4 Turbo Build (for anyone who cares lol)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: F22A4 Turbo Build (for anyone who cares lol)

make sure your block is not warped i had f22 block that looked odd. my car ran about 100 miles then spun all the bearings.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we checked the block itself it was good...so im pretty sure it's the crank is worn down. I did all std size bearings and it came in right at service limit. So when i did oversize it went to tight. Then half jacketed and came close but still felt too tight for me. i think if i were to mill it down to .005 on each main it would be perfect. But again i haven't contacted my machinist so im not sure what he'd charge but i could get a brand new crank reman from my boy who works for a parts store for like $200...so again i'm just curious. Thanks for the help though but the block seems to be okay according to the Accord Haynes book.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

quick and probably stupid question are the F22 main bearings the same as the H22? cause i can find oversize .020 in H22 but not in the F22 and if i were to get those...it'd put me right in spec instead of having to mess with milling the crank or buying a reman. Cause my Crank checks at all specs im just afraid if i mill it down it will put me close to service limit. thanks any help!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BergRacing21
quick and probably stupid question are the F22 main bearings the same as the H22? cause i can find oversize .020 in H22 but not in the F22 and if i were to get those...it'd put me right in spec instead of having to mess with milling the crank or buying a reman. Cause my Crank checks at all specs im just afraid if i mill it down it will put me close to service limit. thanks any help!
1st off nice pic of my car thanks lol. You should have came up and said hi( or you weren't they guy from Po talking to me were you )? 2nd if you mean an h22a1 not (98-01h22a4's) yes the bearings will work for you.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you talking main bearing clearance? .002 in a little loose but I would have no problem running it. You dont want to machine the crank. And good luck, I built a f22a6 for my buddies accord using the same cam. Great engine and lots of torque!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...=55superbeetle
Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by md23vtec
1st off nice pic of my car thanks lol. You should have came up and said hi( or you weren't they guy from Po talking to me were you )? 2nd if you mean an h22a1 not (98-01h22a4's) yes the bearings will work for you.
haha no prob man! i came over there twice but i guess it was just bad timing cause both times i came i didn't see anybody around lol. And thanks, i had heard that H22 bearings would work i just wasn't sure if it was motor specific, so appreciate the help! i wanted to have this motor done for WC Import vs Domestic but i've had so many stupid things happen whether its waiting for parts or finding more and more small things i have to replace...but i'll be there spectating and hopefully i can meet up with you that time!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 55superbeetle
Are you talking main bearing clearance? .002 in a little loose but I would have no problem running it. You dont want to machine the crank. And good luck, I built a f22a6 for my buddies accord using the same cam. Great engine and lots of torque!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...=55superbeetle
yeah, really didn't want to mess with the crank especially since after measuring it up it checks out fine. I just gotta figure out whats up with these bearings, and using plastigauge is a bitch...cause i probably could easily be in spec its hard to tell. but they def all look to be right around .0018-.0020 but if it does come down to it im not going to be that stressed if i run them at that limit id much rather be a "little" loose than being too tight. Appreciate the help!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BergRacing21
haha no prob man! i came over there twice but i guess it was just bad timing cause both times i came i didn't see anybody around lol. And thanks, i had heard that H22 bearings would work i just wasn't sure if it was motor specific, so appreciate the help! i wanted to have this motor done for WC Import vs Domestic but i've had so many stupid things happen whether its waiting for parts or finding more and more small things i have to replace...but i'll be there spectating and hopefully i can meet up with you that time!
Come on up. We may have the big trailor up there It's going ot be a mad house hopefully I can qualify and do some damage in the class. Lastyear there were 121 cars going for true street to qualify for 16 spots. So even qualifing is a accomplishment in itself dealing with the mustangs and so forth.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha will do man, that's a true story that event has been real good for last couple years. But really pulling for you, i hope you can take them mustangs out!
Old 08-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So eventually I'm going to figure this bearing thing but im scraping the king bearings i was trying to use and just go OEM Honda...my question is before i buy 100+ dollars worth of bearings I'm trying to figure if i got this correct.

Im at service limit on almost all journals .0018"-.0020" using Std (green)

Haynes says for my F22A4

Journals 1 and 2 .0009 to .0018
Journal 3 .0010 to .0019
Journal 4 .0005 to .0015
Journal 5 .0004 to .0013

so my question is what bearings (color wise) should i run...i was thinking black for 1,2,3 and blues for 4,5 would pull me in specs on all of them. Because in each bearing size it goes up .0001 diameter for each top and bottom would be .0002 correct? So going up 2 bearing says from green, by diameter would give me .0004 to play puts me at .0014-.0016 on 1,2,4. And going up 3 sizes from green on 4,5 would give me .0006 bringing them to .0012-.0014

****'s driving me nuts...and if I'm going this route i want to make sure they're right. Also question i got is would you recommend running two different type of bearings...not half jacketing OEM Honda with King but say i had to use the oversized King Bearings i got for 4 and 5 and running Honda for 1,2,3. If not...I'm not stressing being over .00001 on the 5th journal when service limit is still .0020 on all bearings.

Last edited by BergRacing21; 08-29-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bisimoto Level 1.2 F22A Cam

New OEM Honda timing belt, and all new Main bearings (black)

will post more pics tonight should be having the block put back together!

Last edited by BergRacing21; 09-08-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

crank and girdle installed mains all in spec using the Honda OEM 'black' bearings

Nippon Pistons installed!

other 2 cylinders....all rod bearings were in good spec using the King Std Bearings

Pressing the seals in the oil pump for my Kaizen Speed B/S Eliminator

Block off Plate (lol i love how fancy it is but no one gets to see it )

All seals pressed, the dowels were pressed in the girdle before it was installed. It's ready to go

Oil pump with B/S eliminator bolted on, also didn't take a pic but the rear main seal was installed too. Block is almost finished.

I'm missing a few things like a oil pick-up gasket and couple other small things, put the timinig side back together and the block is finished and it's onto the head.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Very nice build. Kudos for give the SOHC F some love.

Looking good so far, I'm in for the results!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Very nice build. Kudos for give the SOHC F some love.

Looking good so far, I'm in for the results!
thank ya sir, haha i seen how much you guys in the accord forums were having boosting them i thought why not? but it's definitely been a task so far. Just ordered my valves/springs/retainers and placing my order for those guides/seals you linked on the accord forum...so i can get rolling on putting the head back together and as always...i'll have plenty of pics.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

More goodies (valves, springs, retainers)

valve sizes

got these in yesterday, my KMS valve guides came in last weekend....took it up to the machine shop so they are going to resurface, do the valve job, install my guides said they should be done in about a week or two. So as always when the finished product gets back in my hands i will take more pics. Super amped cause everything seems to be falling in place for me to be able to be ready by race season. Also think i finally found the turbo i'm going to run took some debating but i think I'll be running the Garrett GTX3071....it was between this one and the GT3076 my main reasoning for going with the 3071 is it as way more boost top in....and with the F22's you make torque at least up to 4500 range and by that time boost will kick in. If i was going to leave it more a street car 3076 would of been my choice but be as it may my goal is to turn her into a track car only. Well hope that updates you guys who are following this.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice! Everything is coming along great. Bookmarking this page! Even though I have a H-series, I am always fond of F-series. I'll keep a close eye on this thread
Old 02-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So im still working on this but not much has been done since last time i posted besides a bunch of back and forth calls between Bisimoto and my Machinist. But did get some bad news yesterday that the proper exhaust seat they need to put my valves in our on backorder til March so won't be getting my head back for awhile. But in mean time i'll be ordering everything else i need so when it comes in she'll be ready to slap together....part include ARP headstuds, Bisi headgasket, Bisi F22 intake manifold gasket. Blacktrax spacer, and 70mm Blox TB. With my birthday right around the corner lol hoping to get helped out with the other random things i need. Still shooting for this race season...
Old 04-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ran my car at MIR Test and Tune yesterday before im swapping in the turbo motor just to get a before and after. I wasn't expecting much, and i dont have much to compare too except some vague Accord forums but i was getting the feeling i'd run anywhere from a low 16 to high 15. I am running a AEM SRI, Cheapo Ebay header, 2.5" Exhaust piping with HKS Hi-power muffler. So here's my time slip....

Car #715
R/T.... .148
60' .... 2.114
330.... 6.297
1/8.... 9.810
MPH... 70.23
1000... 12.841
1/4.... 15.492
MPH... 84.82

So i got it too mid 15's, i was running Falken drag radials on the stock 14" steelies but on this pass i also missed 4th right at the end of the track so i have a feeling i could of easily pulled a 15.29-15.3X. I was pretty impressed, but again i dont really have much to go off of. I got a video and the actual time slip i'll post in a little while.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:58 AM
Trial User

Im looking to turbo my f22a, what turbo should i get? For 8-10 psi
Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_konceited
Im looking to turbo my f22a, what turbo should i get? For 8-10 psi
What kind of RPM and power range are you looking to have?
What is your budget for the build?
Have you taken into account that you will have to have the car tuned on an aftermarket computer/chipped Honda ECU?
What is the health of your engine. Have you done a compression test on the cylinders?

8-10psi as a goal doesn't mean much at all really. Other than you are trying to do a cheep boost build on a stock tired old engine. Time to do some more research into forced induction and how it works.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good man
Old 11-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry guys been extremely lazy as of late. Unfortunately i did not make my deadline...lol what's new when dealing with cars. But i've been extremely busy with work haven't had much time to get some of the stuff i needed done here's a few pictures of what we got done in the past few months since last time i posted. The head with the valves,springs retainers, and guides installed, the block with new oil pump and KS b/s delete installed. the ARP head studs were put in. I got my LSD which is currently being put in at Charm City in Maryland really cool guys! So in the next few weeks i will be putting the timing side back on. I do have my Comp Clutch stage 4 and Bisimoto lightweight flywheel i'll get pics of them when i install them but yeah...in the next coming few weeks once i receive the trans back we will be installing the flywheel, clutch, and bolting the trans on it. And she will be ready for break in time. Then the rest is just ordering all my goodies so i can run boost as always appreciate anyone who checks this out and who's been following it, and sorry i haven't kept up on it as often as i'd like.

*last pic is when i threw some prelude Si's on it, i like them but i think i'll stick with the vigor wheels i have and i'll be running Welds with slicks once the cars done
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to see some updates man.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

great build
Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

motor looks good. thank god you didnt swap to a h22 haha

i also want to do a turbo setup with a f22 4g prelude when i sell my eg. im getting out of the econobox civic/integra scene. need a more comfy car haha

nice build! hope to see good numbers on the 1/4 mile

Quick Reply: F22A4 Turbo Build (for anyone who cares lol)