Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY map & trunk light intall for EKs

Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY map & trunk light intall for EKs

this is a write up for how to install the OEM trunk and map lights into those civics that don't come with them from the factory. (CX/DX hatch & coupe)

items you will need:
Map light from 96-00EX or 99-00Si Civic or any Integra
94-01 Integra part # (tan color) 34256-ST7-003ZB
" "(grey color) 34256-ST7-003ZA
96-00 Civic part # (dark grey) 34256-SR3-901ZB
" "(light grey) 34256-SR3-901ZB
i "borrowed" these images from someone on Team Integra. If the owner objects, let me know and i will remove the picture
Civic map light

Integra map light

It may be better to get the Integra version of the map light. The reason being is that it is a push button design and is thus less likely to come out of the headliner when turning it on or off. Also, it allows you to turn on one side or the other individually, unlike the Civic version which turns on both at once.

trunk light from any 89-01 Integra. (Civic hatch only) part # 34260-SA0-013
trunk light from any 96-00 Civic (Civic coupe only) part # 34260-SV1-A01
trunk light

You can order these new with the part numbers above or got to your junkyard and get them. I got mine from the local junkyard for $1 each with pigtails.

To install the map light you need to remove the headliner. Once the headliner is out you want to locate your center line of the headliner. The next step is to take an outline of your map light. This will become our negative image.

After you make the outline cut inside the outline to make a positive image of the light. It is better to make the positive smaller than negative. You can always make a hole larger, it's easy to make a small hole larger. Its much harder to make a large hole smaller.
Once you have your positive mark its center line and line it up with the center line of the head liner

Trace the positive out on the back of the headliner and then cut it out, remember to cut inside the lines. Once you get it to the right size insert the map light.

The map light has "tabs" on the far left and right sides that will hold it against the head liner when fully inserted. Sorry they don't show up in the picture very well.
This is what it should look like when its properly inserted

Now that you have the map light installed you have to do the wiring. The EX/Si that normally house these light have 2 bolts to hold them in as well as provide the ground for the wiring. We CD/DX owners don't have these so you will have to find 2 bolts that fit in the hole and use them to provide the ground wires like so

You now have 2 choices. You can ground these to the chassis somewhere. Which will only allow the light to come on when you flip the switch. Or you can ground them to the light green/red wire that runs to your dome light. This will cause the map light to come on like your dome light. I chose to run the ground to the chassis. Just find a place to ground it to. There are plenty of places in the roof support to put a nut & bolt to do this. If you want to tap the light green/white wire you can do so at the A pillar (like its done at the factory) or at the dome light. That takes care of the map light.

Now for the hatch or trunk light.
These wire up the same for both coupe and hatch. The hatch is easier as there is a lot less wire to run. The hatch light can also be turned off manually via its built in switch.
First you need to remove the rear panels starting at the back seat. Once you have everything out you need to look for the connector that connects the trunk/hatch wiring to the floor wiring. This is found in the drivers side quarter panel. you will notice the floor harness has a red/white wire the trunk/hatch harness does not.

Its not very clear in the picture but that is the wiring which provides 12v to the trunk light. CX/DX uses don't have this wire. The best thing to do is to get this wire and the trunk light from a donor car at the junkyard. Just de-pin it from the connector and add it to your trunk connector in your car. This wire will run to the larger connector on you trunk light. The smaller connector is for the ground wire. The ground wire in this case is the blue/black wire. this is normally open and is grounded when you open your trunk or hatch. Meaning the light will only com on when the hatch/trunk is open. Tap into this wire and run the white/red wire to your light. On the hatch the ground wire is easily found right by the rear strut mount.

This is also true for the coupe. the difference is the mounting point of the light. One the hatch there is a plastic "knock out" on the rear trim. take this out and put the light there. On the coupe you need yo find the hole in the middle of the rear trunk shelf for the light. I have a hatch so the rest of this is aimed for the hatch owners. Its exactly the same for coupe owner, you just need more wire.
From the point just above the rear strut to the light you need about 17cm (6 inches) of wire. This is the easiest place to have the wire come out as it is the point where 2 pieces of split loom join.

Just unwrap the tape, run your wires out and replace the tape. I used the OEM spade connectors for that OEM look. If you don't have these connectors you can use any spade connector that fits the 2 tabs. Remember the smaller one is the ground (blue/black wire) the larger is the power (white/red wire)

test the light then mount it in its respective place. That's all there is to it

Last edited by confidence; 09-03-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: DIY map & trunk light intall for EKs

Good work. So lame that even the DX didn't come with a trunk light. Thanks for cutting all possible corners, Honda.

Shouldn't you be tapping in to the hatch-open wire to power the trunk light with the open hatch? That's how it's supposed to work. On a 92-95 Civic this is a green wire, but it is probably different on a 96+.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

PS. You need to fix your image links.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Been Looking For These For Years. Thank You Very Much For Helping Me Out On This. As Soon As I Do It I Will Post Up On Here Again. Thanks Again Bro
Old 07-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Thread added to FAQs sticky. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ack. Thanks for pointing out that the pics were broken Deschlong. I was thoroughly medicated when i typed this up lols. I'm surprised that was the only problem. They are fixed now.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u have the same part numbers for the civic light?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaNooby24
u have the same part numbers for the civic light?
I went to clarify this and it seems they're the same in both interior colors.
I even went to Google Em1 headliners (because all EM1's/Si's came in type k interiors) and the results are the same. There's no dark grey map light.