Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

97 accord window problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 97 accord window problem

I have a 97 accord sedan lx. The driver side window rolls down about 1/4 and it is stuck. When rolling down and up, I can hear a cracking noise (similar to rocks being crushed). I open the door panels and checked it out. The two black lines shown in this picture (http://www.automotix.net/bodyparts/1...r-h462912.html) seems to be the thing that causes the cracking noise.

Also when I hold on these two lines, I can feel the tension (cracking) while rolling up and down.

What is wrong?

a.wax
Old 02-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: 97 accord window problem

Originally Posted by a.wax
I have a 97 accord sedan lx. The driver side window rolls down about 1/4 and it is stuck. When rolling down and up, I can hear a cracking noise (similar to rocks being crushed). I open the door panels and checked it out. The two black lines shown in this picture (http://www.automotix.net/bodyparts/1...r-h462912.html) seems to be the thing that causes the cracking noise.

Also when I hold on these two lines, I can feel the tension (cracking) while rolling up and down.

What is wrong?

a.wax
The 'cracking' you're refering to is the effect of what's going on. There is too much resistance for the regulation to successfully move the window; so now the drive gears in the regulator have decided on a vacation.

Your REAL problem lies with the window itself and it's relationship with both it's guides and may also involve the guide run as well. It has most likely popped out of it's track and is binding in place.

Once you get the window sorted out, the regulator will require replacement itself. Consider it colateral damage.

P
Old 02-15-2009, 10:10 AM

So what you are saying is, the problem is the window not aligned correctly? Also after aligning the window with the two rails, I will have to replace the regulator? Is the link posted above what I need to purchase and replace? Also what kind of grease will I need to spray on the guides? Is it possible for a diy, trying to save $.

a.wax

Last edited by a.wax; 02-15-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by a.wax
So what you are saying is, the problem is the window not aligned correctly? Also after aligning the window with the two rails, I will have to replace the regulator? Is the link posted above what I need to purchase and replace?

a.wax
Once you have the window sorted out, the regulator may still work out but the noises it's making are indicating that it does have issues.

This link illustrates what you'll be dealing with inside the door.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgr y2=1997&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=FR ONT+DOOR+WINDOW

#6 and #7 usually bend, allowing the window to jump out of it's guide track.

P
Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 AM

I opened my door panels yesterday, and checked to see if it is popped out of place and it isn't. It just sounds like there is a piece of rock or something stuck on one of the guides which stops the window from going down. (sounds like it, but there is nothing stuck on the guides).
Old 02-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Disassemble the motor and the regulator and see what is going on there.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:12 PM

I found the problem to my window. It is the window regulator. Thanks for your help.

Should I buy a window regulator from a junk yard? Or elsewhere. At autozone, its ~$100 and amazon is ~$40, does it matter where I get it from?

a.wax
Old 02-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest going to Honda dealer and pay extra for the unit. Window Motor regulator. It's around 200, but damn worth it. I bought one from eBay for around $80, and it failed multiple times and started smoking. Plus the auto-down feature didn't work for some reason.

If not get something name brand. or something with quality.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Trial User

Icon2 Re: 97 accord window problem

I have a similar issue in my 97 accord my window was working fine then one day it got stuck can't roll it up or down The switches on the drivers side worked to roll up/down the other 3 windows but not the drivers side I removed the door panel and looked at the rails they looked okay but it's hard to tell when I was putting the panels back on the switch unit started smoking and nearly caught on fire. What do I need to do to fix this issue will a new master window switch replacement fix the problem with my window not moving at all or could it be something else as well
Old 07-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try using another regulator. The switch could also be going bad. I have yet to experience the regulator, but from my work experience, before you remove the part, see if you can test it independently. Try to get your hands on a window connector an expose the copper and use a battery. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in my case it was a bad switch; i went the easy route 1st instead of taking everything apart & got lucky

good luck to you