Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
dlhtox
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default HELP! Car suddenly overheating.

Thanks in advance for the kind souls that help me out!

I have a 1995 Honda Accord that suddenly started overheating today badly.

The air conditioning belt has been slipping for quite a while and getting worse.

While I was driving I noticed that my AC was not working, or working only slightly and then not at all, it started blowing hot air.

So, I thought.. well that belt must have given out, or is slipping so bad it's not working.

Then after driving about 6 more miles I started hearing some noises from the engine, nothing major, but enough to make me wonder. Then I noticed a lot of steam coming out from under the hood. I then noticed that the temperature gauge was pinned in the red.

I immediately pulled over and opened it, and it appeared a lot of the steam was coming from the reservoir near the radiator.

A few things.

Why would the air conditioning be related to the car overheating?

I did completely replace the radiator about 6 months ago due to a crack in the original one. Is it perhaps just too low on coolant? I thought I filled it completely, but I'm not necessarily well versed in these matters.

Can trouble with the AC belt cause the car to overheat, or is the AC stopping working all of a sudden indicative of something else?

What should I look for? What can I start doing? This is a BAD time to start having some car troubles, for many reasons.

Thanks so much for reading this.
dlhtox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Nicefeet
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: HELP! Car suddenly overheating.

Cooling fans died
Nicefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
nus_dogg
Honda-Tech Member
1994 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhtox View Post
A few things.

Why would the air conditioning be related to the car overheating?

I did completely replace the radiator about 6 months ago due to a crack in the original one. Is it perhaps just too low on coolant? I thought I filled it completely, but I'm not necessarily well versed in these matters.

Can trouble with the AC belt cause the car to overheat, or is the AC stopping working all of a sudden indicative of something else?

What should I look for? What can I start doing? This is a BAD time to start having some car troubles, for many reasons.

Thanks so much for reading this.
The A/C compressor is driven by the engine, so if you turn the A/C system on, the engine will have to work harder just by driving the A/C compressor; as a results, overheats. This will only happen if the A/C belt is still on the car. Both fans will need to be in working condition because as the engine works harder, more heat as its being work harder.
Originally Posted by toycar View Post
Breaking the bank, maybe. Feeling like a boss, likely.
nus_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
poorman212
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Was this in stop and go traffic or while moving at speed > 20 mph?
poorman212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
ricebike
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

in hindsight

i hoped you burped the air out of the system after you replaced the radiator...

and hoped you confirmed that BOTH fans turn on when you hit your AC button...

now, after you have seen the temp gauge in the RED and saw steam coming out of the reservoir, you have to worry about a blown head gasket, warped cylinder head, etc.
Wife's'95 Accord LX 4dr F22b2 she gave this away to a friend since it's still mechanically sound; now has a 2005 MDX... worse mpg & takes premium to boot (she's ignoring the last part & using regular octane)
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
1995, 2003, accord, acoor, acoord, air, belt, car, coming, conditioning, honda, overheating, ridgeline, slipping, steam