Notices

Civic EK Turbo D16 problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic EK Turbo D16 problem

So i just got my car back today after getting a Godspeed turbo kit installed, t3/t4.

Its currently running a basemap until i get it tuned this weekend. currently running on integra gsr/type r injectors.

Was doing a few mild pulls today to get the feel of it (FIRST TURBO CAR), b4 i got my downpipe welded and everything seemed fine. Got the downpipe welded to a stock exhaust piping for now (will be upgrading to 2.5in).

I did a 3rd and 4th gear pull, but didnt seem like it wanted to go over 5000 rpm, kinda wierd... when i got off the free way, i did a 1st , 2nd, gear pull, and it ran normally, then i did a 3rd gear, surprisingly it ran normally,

Was it not going over 5000rpm on the freeway because im untuned and running a basemap or is it some other problem?

I will be using 440cc injectors, 2.5inch piping, catless when i get it tuned on crome this weekend. gonna baby it for now

Mods:
new Godspeed t3/t4 kit
new walbro 255 fuel pump
new stage 3 6puck clutch
Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Civic EK Turbo D16 problem

There are several problems with your setup and if you dont change them, you WILL blow that D series apart in short order.

You need:
1. To get tuned first and foremost
2. Get different injectors because GSR/ITR injectors are still 240cc injectors which are TOO SMALL for a turbo setup.
3. You need to get a set of proper spark plugs for your car. I'm not sure what the part number is now, but the NGK BKR7e plug used to be the cheap, reliable plug of choice for most setups. You need something a step colder and gap them in the 0.32-0.35 range.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quit driving it in boost and you get what you pay for with crome. do yourself a favor and look on the stickys for a neptune tuner near you. your tune is only as good as your tuner. This isnt a project for just anyone with a laptop.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
There are several problems with your setup and if you dont change them, you WILL blow that D series apart in short order.

You need:
1. To get tuned first and foremost
2. Get different injectors because GSR/ITR injectors are still 240cc injectors which are TOO SMALL for a turbo setup.
3. You need to get a set of proper spark plugs for your car. I'm not sure what the part number is now, but the NGK BKR7e plug used to be the cheap, reliable plug of choice for most setups. You need something a step colder and gap them in the 0.32-0.35 range.
1. yes getting tuned tomorrow or saturday after my 2.5inch piping is done
2. i have 440cc waiting to be installed, they were running too rich on basemap, so the gsr/itr injectors were used for Temporary, *OKAY **** NO MORE BOOSTING UNTIL TUNED.*
3. im just put in new copper ones, the regular v-power ones(ZFR5F-11 think, the ones designed for a d16y8 1996 civic ex), i will look into the ngk bkr7e, would it matter if i changed em after the tune?

i was worried that something was installed incorrectly and causing the engine not to rev over 5k randomly. but ive been keeping it under 3k until i get it tuned. don't wanna blow anything just got the car back today.

THANKs for the advice, will TUNE ASAP :O
Old 07-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage

Quit driving it in boost and you get what you pay for with crome. do yourself a favor and look on the stickys for a neptune tuner near you. your tune is only as good as your tuner. This isnt a project for just anyone with a laptop.
so crome isnt very good? getting it dynod tuned soon on crome . im not looking for anything crazy, just like 200whp, and maybe some forged internals soon b4 i turn up the boost.