Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

OEM Tires: trashed at 27k. Advice on replacements?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Oracle of GDD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM Tires: trashed at 27k. Advice on replacements?

As the title says...my car has 27,XXX miles and the OEM tires are almost completely bald.

I know Honda uses these Michelins to prevent excess wear...so I'm a bit discouraged at the idea of having to buy a new set of tires so soon.

Part of me wants to go get some Star Specs...but the sensible part of my brain says to wait until next year, when I can afford to buy a second set of wheels (put the Star Specs on those) and just get something for now that's long-wearing and performs well in bad weather.

I'd like to spend less than $150 per tire and keep the OEM size.

Any suggestions?

I used to buy Kumho ECSTA ASX exclusively but they are discontinued and I don't know anything about the new model.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: OEM Tires: trashed at 27k. Advice on replacements?

Ha, thats funny the tires on my ex GF's car also went out at 27k.

We slapped some Dunlop Direzza DZ101's on that bitch. If you dont want to get Star Specs now then get these tires, I highly recommend them. Ive had many friends get these tires with no regrets and they all love them. They have a great mix of "stickiness" and last long.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 AM
WestSPEC

Kumho Ecsta 4X seems to have pretty good reviews and ratings; it's rated at number 4 on Tire Rack's Ultra High Performance All Season list.

235/40/18s are priced at 149 a tire so 17s should be cheaper. There is also a $50 rebate offer on them if you buy a set of 4, IIRC.

I'm trying to decide whether I should spend an extra $50 per tire and grab the Pole Positions or just get the 4x myself, actually.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Oracle of GDD

Originally Posted by Arthas
Ha, thats funny the tires on my ex GF's car also went out at 27k.

We slapped some Dunlop Direzza DZ101's on that bitch. If you dont want to get Star Specs now then get these tires, I highly recommend them. Ive had many friends get these tires with no regrets and they all love them. They have a great mix of "stickiness" and last long.
Are the DZ101 an all-season tire?

The reason I liked my ECSTA ASX so much on my ITR, SHO, Accord is because it kicks *** in wet/snow as well (not that we got much of that this year in VA).

@BlazedD thanks dude, I think the 4X are the replacement for the ECSTA ASX, right?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:39 AM
WestSPEC

Yep, pretty sure they are the replacement; the survey has 4X listed much higher than the ASX also.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything "all-season" is going to be a sucky compromise, period. They will be fair-to-poor in summer and fair-to-poor in winter.

But if you have to get all season tires, I'd look on tirerack.com and look at the reviews on there. They are usually pretty good and tire rack has even tested most all-season tires against one another and rate them on how good/bad they are in different elements.

If you can, I'd seriously recommend getting a winter-tire package and then throwing a set of summer tires on your stock wheels (or vice-versa). You will be amazed how well a FWD Honda with a LSD + winter tires handles the snow.

And sorry, but the Dunlop DZ101 is crap. It is a summer-only tire that is vastly inferior to most everything in its category.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought the DZ101 is an all season tire, but I lived in CA and TX so its not like I could test its snow capabilities. I loved that tire, its over my favorite tire over 200 tread wear.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bridgestone G019
Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kuhmo xs
Old 05-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Oracle of GDD

Originally Posted by Todd00
Anything "all-season" is going to be a sucky compromise, period. They will be fair-to-poor in summer and fair-to-poor in winter.

But if you have to get all season tires, I'd look on tirerack.com and look at the reviews on there. They are usually pretty good and tire rack has even tested most all-season tires against one another and rate them on how good/bad they are in different elements.

If you can, I'd seriously recommend getting a winter-tire package and then throwing a set of summer tires on your stock wheels (or vice-versa). You will be amazed how well a FWD Honda with a LSD + winter tires handles the snow.

And sorry, but the Dunlop DZ101 is crap. It is a summer-only tire that is vastly inferior to most everything in its category.
Todd, I'd really like to do that, but $$ doesn't allow it right now.

And frankly, with the snow we had last winter (almost 0) I don't need dedicated winter tires. Just something that doesn't suck in bad weather.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ross
Todd, I'd really like to do that, but $$ doesn't allow it right now.

And frankly, with the snow we had last winter (almost 0) I don't need dedicated winter tires. Just something that doesn't suck in bad weather.
I'd go with the Khumo replacement tires then, sucks the asx's are discontinued, they had much better snow performance than my current nitto's (but the nitto's perform better in all other conditions much better). i went rippin around in several inches of snow back a year ago when i had a full set of asx's on and i gripped nooooo problem
Old 06-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always had great luck with Falken.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've come to love Hankook tires.
Excellent mileage, excellent 'roadability', excellent noise levels, competitive pricing.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd absolutely recommend Yokohama S.drive. They're quiet, you can get a decent amount of miles on them, and have good grip. Just don't expect it to grip like a star spec.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by edalsie
I've come to love Hankook tires.
Excellent mileage, excellent 'roadability', excellent noise levels, competitive pricing.
Very true. My Michelin's went out on my SI at around 25-27K too and I replaced them with the Hankook Ventus V12's. I love these tires and will most likely order another set when this set wears out. DiscountTireDirect usually has great deals on them too.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Kumho Ecsta SPT loved those tires... I have the DZ101 and I hate them horrible!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 PM
MiG-21 superfan

used to rock ASX with no issues on my wife's 04 Si then i forget why, maybe size restriction or something, but when she needed new tires on her sedan i went with AST and they were HORRIBLE. one was particularly bad and Kumho was such a PITA to work with re: warranty.

so, i switched my wife to Yoko Envigors over Continental EC DWS just to try something different for that category. the Tire Rack survey info was great for them for a lot of categories, slightly below the DWS in a category or two. to be completely honest i would be totally satisfied with these Envigors even if i wasn't driving in rain and slush/snow like she does. dry performance is really impressive imo. wear has been fantastic. she got them on at 72k and just eclipsed 100k last night and while i haven't measured tread depth, with semi-regular rotation they have lasted just fine. new tires aren't even on the radar for her car yet.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be replacing my tires quite soon as well. I had the OEM Michelin Pilot summer tires. They were great, but just wore down really fast. This is my 6th summer having them, I have Blizzaks for winter, and only have just under 35k miles on my car. So I'd say probably 15k-20k miles and they're done. Pretty sucky if you ask me. Never raced with them, always kept them properly inflated. I'm looking for some decent grip, good price, and most importantly tires that will last more than 20k miles.

With that being said, I want summer tires, and I've never liked Kumho. Would also like to keep under $600. Any input on Hankook tires? Specifically the Ventus V12 evo K110? Found them on tire rack for only $101 each.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Hankook Evo V12 K110 is a good budget summer tire. They hold up fine to my supercharged daily driving.

Cheapest place to get them is usually discounttiredirect.com.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:04 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by 07SIcpe
I'll be replacing my tires quite soon as well. I had the OEM Michelin Pilot summer tires. They were great, but just wore down really fast. This is my 6th summer having them, I have Blizzaks for winter, and only have just under 35k miles on my car. So I'd say probably 15k-20k miles and they're done. Pretty sucky if you ask me. Never raced with them, always kept them properly inflated. I'm looking for some decent grip, good price, and most importantly tires that will last more than 20k miles.

With that being said, I want summer tires, and I've never liked Kumho. Would also like to keep under $600. Any input on Hankook tires? Specifically the Ventus V12 evo K110? Found them on tire rack for only $101 each.
did you just jack Ross's thread? lol
Old 06-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

His question was on topic.

To OP, if you don't need all seasons, don't waste your time there. Most dedicated summer tires will be better than the best all-seasons (in regards to fun, grip, etc). I'd say just go with a reasonably priced Summer tire (V12's are a good deal and have a $80 rebate at the moment).
Old 06-06-2012, 05:22 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by HRsi-dan
To OP, if you don't need all seasons, don't waste your time there. Most dedicated summer tires will be better than the best all-seasons (in regards to fun, grip, etc). I'd say just go with a reasonably priced Summer tire (V12's are a good deal and have a $80 rebate at the moment).
he lives in the mid atlantic region which does indeed have plenty of cold surfaces, rain, slush and usually (except last winter), snow. i can sympathize: living in NJ unless you have dedicated snow tires it makes no sense to have summer tires on a fwd true daily driver all year long.

i guarantee that he would never reach the limits of the envigors or DWS in dry conditions to the point where he'd be upset at the purchase considering they do exactly what he needs all year long. he doesn't have a blown or worked engine - it's (essentially) stock, like my wife's car, the one with envigors.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha well if I created a NEW topic you would've said ' Well there's already a threat about this.' Maybe my question will help OP. Thanks I didn't know about the $80 rebate. They are $10 more each on discounttiredirect.com, but I just looked them up on tirerack.com again and they have the rebate as well. So they come out to $324 on tire rack vs. $364 on discount tire..Probably going to order soon. **But discount tire has Free Shipping, tire rack doesn't so they're basically exactly the same price haha..

Last edited by 07SIcpe; 06-06-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Looked at shipping costs
Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by 07SIcpe
haha well if I created a NEW topic you would've said ' Well there's already a threat about this.' Maybe my question will help OP. Thanks I didn't know about the $80 rebate. They are $10 more each on discounttiredirect.com, but I just looked them up on tirerack.com again and they have the rebate as well. So they come out to $324 on tire rack vs. $364 on discount tire..Probably going to order soon. **But discount tire has Free Shipping, tire rack doesn't so they're basically exactly the same price haha..
i probably would have asked if you searched, haha...but anyway;

OP is concerned about "long wearing and performs well in bad weather".

you are concerned about summer tires.

let the confusion commence!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
he lives in the mid atlantic region which does indeed have plenty of cold surfaces, rain, slush and usually (except last winter), snow. i can sympathize: living in NJ unless you have dedicated snow tires it makes no sense to have summer tires on a fwd true daily driver all year long.

i guarantee that he would never reach the limits of the envigors or DWS in dry conditions to the point where he'd be upset at the purchase considering they do exactly what he needs all year long. he doesn't have a blown or worked engine - it's (essentially) stock, like my wife's car, the one with envigors.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I live in the midwest, so snow at least a few times a year is almost a guarantee. I do have dedicated snow tires for when the time comes.

Here's my experience with the V12's:
- I daily drove them until October last year. Meaning, I've driven on them at temps down to ~ 20 degrees in the morning.
- We get a fair amount of rain; no hurricane type storms but we do have occasional strong thunder storms with lots of wind (I am in the tornado alley).
- We have a lot of rolling hills, but no mountains like some places.

I didn't ever feel like I was losing control, but I do tend to be more careful when the weather gets worse. And, that was with my crappy alignment as well. I lowered the car and didn't get an alignment afterwards (crappy toe and camber in the back) - all I can say is my first set of rear tires were toast after one season.

So, I'd say if you don't get snow and the temps don't dip too much below freezing, you should be fine with a tire like the V12's all year round.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM Tires: trashed at 27k. Advice on replacements?