Go Back   Honda-Tech > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
crxaddikt
Honda-Tech Member
1990 Honda CRX

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default brainstorming ideas for places to be able to work on my car . . .

i was trying to brainstorm places i can go out in public to work on my car freely with no problems and nobody distracting me, and not any nosey people staring at me wondering what i'm doing and stuff...

its been 100 degrees here in dallas, seems better to work on stuff in the evening or just late at night, but unfortunately i don't have a garage to work on it in, i live in an apartment thats built into a 2 story house and two units are below me, i park along the curb on the side of the house.

so its like i don't have somewhere to work on my car, like to get tools out and open the doors and get into it, theres a carport here for 2 cars but the other 2 units are assigned to them since they both are on the bottom and have gates that go out to it.

my parents used to live here and i just used to go there and work in the garage, and i had couple friends with garages i was able to use but they moved,

i can use the carport to work on my car if its empty, but usually its occuppied in daytime and at night when it usually has one space empty i could mess with car but everything makes so much noise and feel like i'm bothering the neighbors and this dog keeps barking at every little sound i make, plus the vehicle usually filling one side of the carport is a Denali SUV, and it makes where my car is so close to his, so don't have much room to do stuff and have to worry about scratching his vehicle etc...

i was thinking maybe a car wash, the ones with the seperate stalls, but only if its not the busy time of the day where people are waiting to use one of them, or a parking garage, like i am a member of 24 hour fitness, and it has a parking garage at the building its in and has a couple levels and no security patrolling, or if they have really really cheap storage units (like $20 a month), then that would be cool to go there and put car in and use to work on it, or i wonder if theres a type of place thats like a storage unit, but without the monthly continous contract thing, just like where you can pay a one time fee to use it, paying per day ??, so pay like $10 or $15 for one whole day and its the size of a single car garage about that you can pull into and has light and a door to close or leave open.

or i was just thinking to find like an open field or dirt road that goes into a foresty area where you can park on dirt ground but under shady trees and not around people or anything so nobody could say anything or kick me out.

sorry i ranted on so long, i know it sounds pretty stupid to some, but i was just thinking of some ideas, if you have any ideas on places then let me know
Old 06-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
slomofo
GDD Member
1991 Geo Metro Type-R

iTrader Rating: (1)
solbrothers xtrac1 George Knighton ILcrxsi1 uncle_ben markspan6243
Send a message via ICQ to slomofo Send a message via AIM to slomofo Send a message via MSN to slomofo Send a message via Yahoo to slomofo Send a message via Skype™ to slomofo
Default Re: brainstorming ideas for places to be able to work on my car . . .

Go to a random parking garage on a Sunday when when nobody is working. Be sure to find a parking garage that has no cameras and no security guards. I know a guy who lives in an apartment and only has street parking; he always works on his car in the parking garage of the Social Security Administration building because they don't have security and nobody is there on sundays. There's cameras there, but he's never had a problem.
slomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Gant
Honda-Tech Member
2006 Honda Prelude

Send a message via AIM to Gant

what exactly are u going to be doing? engine swaps at parking lots?

edit: seen you drive gods chariot, since thats the case you can work on it anywhere, even in front of the white house
H.G.H. Member #01
Haters gonna hate baby!

www.707photography.org
Gant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Tmac06
Honda-Tech Member
2005 Dodge Ram SRT-10

Send a message via AIM to Tmac06

Getting a cheap storage unit seems like the best idea. Shop around, and then you have a place to store extra parts as well as work. Just put something down to protect the floor from fluids and what not so they don't try to charge you a "cleaning fee".

In my experience most places just have you sign a rental agreements laying out the terms and conditions, and you pay month to month. I've never been locked into any kind of long term agreement with a self storage place.

Good luck!
Tmac06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
solbrothers
y u rusty doe?
1970 Honda CB450
My Garage

solbrothers
Send a message via AIM to solbrothers

buy a house with a garage. thats the cheapest method
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
I actually laughed. Well done sol.
solbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
kidcool1977
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!
Garage is empty, add now

rent a garage, hit up craigslist for listings. Price in my area are 75 to 100.00 a month including electricity.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
xtrac1
rookn00b
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcool1977 View Post
rent a garage, hit up craigslist for listings. Price in my area are 75 to 100.00 a month including electricity.
That's a decent price. Get a business license as a "race team" and now it's a tax write off.

<--not a cpa
xtrac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
lulz
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

if it's only an oil change I'd hard park it in the middle of a busy intersection and gitrdun.
lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
TEGGSRB18C1
Honda-Tech Member
1997 Honda Accord

Back when I owned my Integra, I used to rent out a storage unit because I didnt have a garage and I wanted to keep it out of sight. I worked on it from time to time in there but the manager used to bitch at me about it.

Whatever, I paid my damn rent and my car wasnt some pos that leaked fluids all over :dealwithit:
Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Fook_me_honda
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Fook_me_honda

Find a forclosed house with some kind of open parking structure, pull out any signs and get to work. I've done this once when my oil light flashed. I about an hour from my house, an my friend was joking around about changing oil right now in a house we had just driven by.

So we did. I know a couple of people who have thrown parties in forclosed houses, in the backyards.
Fook_me_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Fnix
Honda-Tech Member
1999 Honda Civic

If it's something simple you're fixing and someone questions you just tell them your car broke down or some **** and you're fixing it.
Fnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
ScareyH22A
Honda-Tech Gold Member
2008 Toyota Sequoia

Send a message via AIM to ScareyH22A

I see people working on their cars in front of Autozone all the time. You could probably pull it off in a Walmart parking lot too. Don't you have any friends with a garage or at least a driveway?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
crxaddikt
Honda-Tech Member
1990 Honda CRX

yeah i have thought of the foreclosed house idea before but just have'nt done it,

my parents used to live here and i used to go there to do work on my car in their garage, but they moved to austin when they retired, so not here anymore, and also couple friends of mine moved or whatever..., couple years ago i did have couple different friends to go work on stuff, but you know things happen, and time changes things.

currently 2 of my good friends are in apartments/townhomes, with no garage but they have a secure gated complex type of thing but just exposed parking with no carport shelters, and some people i know are just too far away now since i moved downtown, but i have one friend that has a garage and tons of tools and i have gone over there to work in his driveway a few different times, and he is about 20 mins away, but i can't go there like 2 or 3 days in a row if i'm in the middle of some project or repair thing, i need to give him his space, cause he has lots of friends coming in and out all the time and theres only so much space in his driveway for people to park, including his girlfriend.

so thats why i was just thinking of place where i can work on it whenever i want and for as long as i want and do it whether its night time or daytime hours,

my car is getting pretty old and lately i've been trying to get some stuff done that i have on my "to do list", some for preventative maintainence, and to car running as long as i can, or for making improvements, etc...

it has a bent steering knuckle/hub which i need to replace, i need to put new master cylinder, need to fix pass. window which is off track, and i need to install new window on drivers side, and garnish trim piece on side, and many more things to mention.

plus right now i am unemployed so i am trying to make use of the time i have now before i don't have it anymore, so i am just trying to get bunch of car stuff done so i can cross them off the list, cause i tend to leave stuff on a list for a while and procrastinate a bit, so a lot of the things i have been looking at on a list for couple years or more and so i just got to do them!

(btw, i do have attention defecit disorder which does'nt help anything lol), i kind of have a hard time getting to things and following through to get them completed more than most people, and theres no answer to why that is, its just the way my brain is wired.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #14
rattlecannedEF
Honda-Tech Member
1992 Nissan Skyline
My Garage

find a girl who has a garage
smash said girl
use her garage.
Haters be hatin, errbodi know its easier 2 holla @ bitches on the curb from the right side.
rattlecannedEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
SkoundrelUSA
cute little bastard
Garage is empty, add now

Rent a U-Haul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_t8lVDt2RM
Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #16
Uncle Ben's
Honda-Tech Member
2003 Honda Accord

Location: Willingly Wrangling with Betas, Bastards and Degenerates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac06 View Post
Getting a cheap storage unit seems like the best idea. Shop around, and then you have a place to store extra parts as well as work. Just put something down to protect the floor from fluids and what not so they don't try to charge you a "cleaning fee".

In my experience most places just have you sign a rental agreements laying out the terms and conditions, and you pay month to month. I've never been locked into any kind of long term agreement with a self storage place.

Good luck!
This is what I did, and what my stepbrother did for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinkli View Post
Yes, yes I think he is. UB is getting a little old and Don Cheeto I never found interesting enough to troll.
Uncle Ben's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #17
ThatRicerDaniel
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

If you are anywhere near a military base they usually have a station for working on cars. Lifts, tools to borrow, spray booths and even storage. You usually pay a 2 or 3 bucks an hour. You just have to be able to get on base to use it. When I lived in a apartment I knew the chick that worked at the one in our town and she would let us go in. I would try cragislist for a garage to rent for a few hours. Times are tuff and I am sure you could get one for 30-40 bucks for a day.
ThatRicerDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #18
yc_dc4mar
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
yc_dc4mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #19
crxaddikt
Honda-Tech Member
1990 Honda CRX

i did think of another way, my older brother lives in Austin, but his wife's parents live in Dallas where i'm located, and they are both 80 yrs old, one has alzheimers and the other might be getting symptoms of alzheimers too, and they live in a house in suburbs with 2 car garage, and its about 15 mins for me to get there.

and i know them good and they like me, so i can ask my brother's wife or her parents if its ok for me to use their garage or driveway to do some occasional work on my car and promise to not make a mess of any sort. i don't think they even drive anymore.

my mom gave her mint condition 1990 accord lx sedan to my brother's wife's mom (whos 80), and not long after having it, i found out she wrecked it, just hitting a car in some parking lot, it sucked when i saw the pics cause it was pretty bad, but to me still fixable.

but before i even got a chance to take a look at it, they had it taken away to a junkyard, just totalling it. what a waste that was, cause the engine still ran and the damage was just body stuff like hood, bumper, fenders, (sorry getting off on a different tangent....)
Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #20
integra15
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Try a parking garage, great way to stay out of the heat.
integra15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #21
big pete
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Sine you're unemployed, go visit your parents for a couple days and work on it at their house.
big pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #22
Cereal One
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Texas! Your state is nothing but flat...and your telling me you can't find a place to work on your car!?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #23
crxaddikt
Honda-Tech Member
1990 Honda CRX

the whole state is'nt entirely flat, lol a big percentage of it is though,

i'm not originally from Texas, i was born in New Jersey, so i'm not a country guy at all, and i would probably go crazy living out in the middle of a flat desolate area in the middle of nowhere, i tend to gravitate towards busy city areas.

i'm in downtown Dallas area, which is more of an urban, crowded environment, and yeah if i was out in the middle of nowhere in those flat areas then i would have no problem finding place to work on car and would'nt make this post.

another reason i was trying to think of place to work on my car, was also since being in a downtown area i needed to think of a place that is also a safe place to work on it, without worrying about a crackhead jumping around the corner and jumping me, also a place without a bunch of nosey people all looking at what your doing , wondering if your suspicious or not, and just an isolated place so i can just be able to concentrate on what i'm doing, instead of keeping looking around my back to see if someone is going to creep up on me.

i know some people will flame me, saying stuff like "your stupid, you can't think of a place to work on your car?", etc.., but thats not why i made the post, i can think of some places, but i just wanted to see what random ideas other people would throw out, cause thats what a discussion forum is for, ............. discussing stuff and getting several other people's ideas or opinions, and should'nt matter how simple the question or post you make is about, its not like you can only make a post if it is a major, serious repair question, but don't get me wrong, sometimes i have caught myself making a post with a simple question that i realise i could of just answered myself, or found the answer by researching google or whatever, but theres nothing wrong with just throwing up a post to get an answer from someone else, (the easy and lazy way)
Old 06-20-2011, 04:44 AM   #24
stackz
at the jetties fishin'
Garage is empty, add now

I put a turbo kit on in a parking garage back in the day. thats about all I got for you.
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a VETERAN.
stackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #25
HondaPartsHero
Technical Hero
Garage is empty, add now

side of road, /thread

Click the image to open in full size.
Hondapartshero.net
HondaPartsHero is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
2010, base, car, county, find, garage, honda, mini, orange, place, places, rent, swaps, vtec, work