2001 Accord Coupe Driver Window 'Jumps' (Video) Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Accord Coupe Driver Window 'Jumps' (Video) Please Help

Video -

Hey everyone.

So, basically, as you'll be able to see in the video, the driver's side window doesn't want to go all the way up - It began with about a quarter inch gap between where it sits and all the way up, and then over the course of about another 4 to 8 weeks it's continuously dropped slightly... not sure what it could be, possibly warpage? Or the rubber seal within the window frame itself being somehow effected, causing it not to go all the way up? The motor seems to be fine, as you'll be able to see in the video, and really don't know much about regulators... just did some brief research a few hours ago, but I'm not sure if that type of mechanism could affect the window as it is?

Any suggestions would be great. Thank you all.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: 2001 Accord Coupe Driver Window 'Jumps' (Video) Please Help

I would suggest pulling the window regulator and motor out of a wreck and replacing it. Cheap and quick.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you. I guess that could be the only thing it could be, right? I'm not sure what else to attribute it with. Just spoke with a yard down here, said they had the motor/regulator for $50 but has a 'bad plug'... I said, if there's a bad plug, then it's essentially worthless, though, correct? He said it's just the plug not the wires, so, simple fix (again - I'm no mechanic) and a different yard had another for $85 for the motor/regulator without a faulty plug.

Honestly, thinking it might be better just to go with the one for $85 with the working plug... as opposed to trying to hunt down / connect / solder or whatever I have to do to get a working plug connected?

Explained to the guy at the first yard what was going on, and he mentioned something about possibly some teeth missing from the regulator which may be causing it to do this?
Old 11-13-2018, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah - **** that. Just found same part new from Amazon for $45

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the price is OEM vs aftermarket. Also, the trend is auto salvage places charging a ******* arm and a leg for parts "they pulled" off the car, nonsense. As for the problem, before pulling the motor / regulator check the window track inside the door. Make sure the window stays in the track all the way up and down, track might need adjusting.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I was like, what? Don't I just go in there and take the **** off myself and pay 10 or 20 bucks for it, or something? But, yeah. Thanks for the info. Will definitely look into that before I get into the door panel.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on this fix but I was thinking, if you don't have time to fix it, how about buying some of those "window vent shades" or whatever those are called? Those would shield your window from rain getting in. My Accord has those and they increase noise a bit but allow me to roll my windows down a bit and not get rain inside.

I'd look on Craigslist for wrecked Accords. There is a yard in FL that is very price reasonable and it ships parts. Just check on CL and you might come across something.

"Battleground U Pick It" in Greensboro/Raleigh, NC allowed to me pick my own parts for almost nothing. They even removed the rims for me from a car they advertised on CL and pulled the tires off. Perfect shape rims for $10.00 per rim. If I would have had the room in my garage, I would have gotten all four doors and the trunk lid! That place rocks.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:06 AM
Trial User

Hey Buddy , did you find a solution? Mine started doing the same thing when I had the windows down a little when it was raining, I then took out regulator , and did I noticed some of the teeth on the scissor gear were chewed up a little bit, So I went to the junkyard and got me another one for only $35, along with another black leather seat which was in way better condition and actually moved back and forward, a bunch of trim pieces for center consul and the shift gear link all for $130😎

unfortunately the window did the exact same thing, which led me to believe that perhaps it is the switch or somehow I have read and looked at other videos that suggests that it may have to the window switch reset Along with possibly the ECU. Tried resetting the switch but that didn’t work I hope you get to try resetting the ECU by removing the battery cables.

P.s. When I was installing the new regulator I did actually plug it in without the window and accidentally got it all the way off the scissor I don’t know if that might of messed something up but then I reversed back on track??? Thanks for any updates!