Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Leaking Oil Pan Gasket: Opinions on this Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Leaking Oil Pan Gasket: Opinions on this Kit?

Thanks for all the great information here! I have a leaking oil pan gasket and am looking for a good repair. I've used the OEM gasket over and over. Has anyone here got experience with the myhondahabit oil pan gasket and/or stud kit? It is not made of nitrile, so I'm hoping that it may fix my oil pan gasket leak once and for all. Let me know if anyone has experience with this gasket kit. www.myhondahabit.com
Old 05-30-2011, 04:14 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Leaking Oil Pan Gasket: Opinions on this Kit?

I made this its own thread. I do not have experience with the kit.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, just an update. I went ahead and used the myhondahabit.com kit. It comes neatly packaged in sealed heavy duty plastic. The gasket is shipped in a very creative package using reclaimed cardboard. I am really impressed with the quality of the packaging and apparent care that goes into it. The gasket is firm but under torque seals nicely. The stud kit is a breeze to install, especially if you use an allen tool to turn the studs into the aluminum block. The same goes for their intake stud kit. In short, I'd recommend it to anyone! It's a far cry from the constantly leaking OEM oil pan gasket.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oem gaskets don't leak if you

1. have a straight pan seal
2. use a 1/4" torque wrench and torque in 2 steps and in sequence
Old 05-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the reason the oem gaskets leak is because most people torque them improperly.

I might try this one next round though. I am always up for better things that keep the oil in!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racebum
oem gaskets don't leak if you

1. have a straight pan seal
2. use a 1/4" torque wrench and torque in 2 steps and in sequence
--------------
I have installed 5 OEM gaskets using the steps outlined in the Honda OEM manual. I have used the proper torque sequence and a calibrated digital Snap On torque wrench with a newly machined block and a brand new OEM oil pan (to be sure my flange was flat). The OEM gaskets still leak. I purchased all of my gaskets at the local Acura dealer over the parts counter. I'm very familiar with the facility and have over 6 years experience in the dealership setting as a Service Advisor or in Service Management to some degree. I'm technically oriented, have built and installed 3 of my own Honda/Acura motors and am by no means a newb to this stuff. The Acura dealer frankly admits that they are doing oil pan gaskets on OEM stock vehicles all the time. It is a money maker that gets cars in the door. If your gaskets is not leaking I have two suspicions: You are the 1% and/or you haven't looked under your car lately. It doesn't have to drip to leak. I sincerely hope yours is fine and not leaking. If it isn't now, I'm certain it will be.

The major complication with the OEM gasket is when engines are modified for higher performance. The impulse of crankcase pressure generation change can cause the gasket to lose its seal easier when this is the case. In my case, I'm running a 2.1L stroked b18c and it cannot handle an OEM gasket at all. Yes, I have a great breather system. It is still too much for it. It simply leaks. With the myHondaHabit kit, I've been enjoying some serious relief in this area.

If your gasket is not leaking, then great! If it is, consider this kit. It worked out for me.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TKERacer619
Yeah the reason the oem gaskets leak is because most people torque them improperly.

I might try this one next round though. I am always up for better things that keep the oil in!
I think you'll like it. It is rigid laterally and seals really nicely against the block. It will not blow out in my opinion. It is not flimsy at all laterally but seals nicely under torquing.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by typerwhat
--------------
I have installed 5 OEM gaskets using the steps outlined in the Honda OEM manual. I have used the proper torque sequence and a calibrated digital Snap On torque wrench with a newly machined block and a brand new OEM oil pan (to be sure my flange was flat). The OEM gaskets still leak. I purchased all of my gaskets at the local Acura dealer over the parts counter. I'm very familiar with the facility and have over 6 years experience in the dealership setting as a Service Advisor or in Service Management to some degree. I'm technically oriented, have built and installed 3 of my own Honda/Acura motors and am by no means a newb to this stuff. The Acura dealer frankly admits that they are doing oil pan gaskets on OEM stock vehicles all the time. It is a money maker that gets cars in the door. If your gaskets is not leaking I have two suspicions: You are the 1% and/or you haven't looked under your car lately. It doesn't have to drip to leak. I sincerely hope yours is fine and not leaking. If it isn't now, I'm certain it will be.

The major complication with the OEM gasket is when engines are modified for higher performance. The impulse of crankcase pressure generation change can cause the gasket to lose its seal easier when this is the case. In my case, I'm running a 2.1L stroked b18c and it cannot handle an OEM gasket at all. Yes, I have a great breather system. It is still too much for it. It simply leaks. With the myHondaHabit kit, I've been enjoying some serious relief in this area.

If your gasket is not leaking, then great! If it is, consider this kit. It worked out for me.
makes sense. i remember back when my car was turbo'd seepage around the gasket was higher than usual. now, on a stock engine it's bone dry
Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought one from http://js-products.webs.com and will let you know how it works. my problem is a brand new moroso pan leaking with 3 gaskets now. stock pan never leaked once. turbo kit is plumbed to moroso pan now so aint that easy to switch back.

Last edited by boosted91crx; 06-26-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to make sure the block is perfectly clean. sand the moroso lip with 400 grit before using brake clean or even better still acetone. there is a really slick surface on those moroso pans and they seep if you don't scuff them first. you also should use liquid teflon on the bungs.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got my gasket installed today and problem solved finally. im so stoked im not dripping oil all over the garage any more lol the guys at http://js-products.webs.com have a top notch product for sure.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the one from myHondaHabit.com and it is working great. When I got mine, it was the only one available of its kind. It looks like there may be some copycatting going on as the image appears to have been taken from the myHondaHabit.com website. The image has been modified to omit whatever was previously in the center (see the seams in the texture) and the contrast/brightness have been adjusted to darken the gasket and make it appear as though it were taken in different lighting. Even the angle of the bolt holes in the shot is the same.

All I gotta say is props to those who take the time to develop, produce, market, and sell a product that works.

*edit* It turns out the image is a direct copy of one on myhondahabit.com website store. After looking through the store, the image has been copied directly from the store image for the single gasket purchase. I thought it had been taken from the front page and edited. Nope, it IS the myHondaHabit.com image. WOW.... uber baddie.

Last edited by criticallistenp; 07-16-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was just looking at the new video that myhondahabit.com has posted on their website. I remembered this posting and thought I might add that for anyone who has questions on how to install an OEM gasket or theirs, the "how to" video they made makes it really easy to understand how it is done. Additionally, when googling them, I discovered that a website by the name of steamspeed.com looks to be carrying their products now too. They have a ton of turbo stuff too that looks like it is good for a variety of cars.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oil pan gasket leaks

I need to invest in this, maybe a new oil pan too, pretty sure my first time I warped it over torquing it with a 1/2 drive torque wrench LOL
Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bending the oil pan flange easy to do. I think it is more common than not. I know I've done it. The first inclination when spotting a leak is to tighten down the gasket by torqueing the bolts down. Since the pan is stamped steel, and very thin around the flange, and weaker where the bolt holes are, it just pulls the bolt hole through creating an uneven surface where the gasket seals. When I installed the myHondaHabit gasket and stud kit, it came with instructions that specifically asked the user to look for this issue first prior to installing the new gasket. It's obvious that a bent gasket sealing surface is going to be a problem with any gasket. When I saw my pan was bent, I just sucked it up and got a new one. It sucked then, but I'm glad I did it now.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow how about breathing new life into an old thread, however ive noticed some seepage from the pan, and now im interested. thanks for bringing this one back.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really hope these gaskets are the answer, ive been through 3 OEM gaskets two oil pans and three different sealants and i just cannot stop the leak on the gasket.

Just waiting for them to come back in stock at myhondahabit before i can try it out and see whats what.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm about to go turbo on my b-series, which means I need to pull the oil pan and weld on some bungs for the oil return system. I'm definitely going to use the myhondahabit gasket again, but I wanted to see how some others are feeling about it given it's been a while since my first use. I found this thread where it's being discussed too:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...67720277,d.aWw

Hope that helps someone!
Old 09-11-2014, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Free stuff right now if you preorder...

Just FYI -

If you are looking to buy the myHondaHabit gasket anytime soon, you should take a look at their current sale on their website. They are offering free stud kits or even intake manifold gaskets for preordering their oil pan gasket. The sale apparently ends when gaskets are back in stock, which looks to be about October 15, 2014. This is a first since I've been following them. They don't normally offer this good of a deal.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

worth the extra $ imho, a non-rigid gasket just doesnt cut it.
the guys at fel-pro should be making something similar,
their gasket is just a squishy mess like the rest of em.
double check the torque on the nuts after a month or so.