Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Homedepot sound deadening my civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homedepot sound deadening my civic

So, after reading up on a bunch of threads online. I decided to spend $45-50 of my money and just go to homedepot and get the quick roof (Asphalt based) and regular like 8'x6' carpet padding. I was all worried about spending the money to dampen sound and not have a good result....

HOWEVER!, I installed the quick roof (one roll for ~$16) in the hatch area and the floor boards only. Then installed the padding on the same areas. This seriously did kill ALOT of static noise and annoying road noise. As far as the "tar smell" it's like a few people have posted. When installing this stuff you do get some tar smell, but once installed I dont smell anything. My girlfriend even said that she thought it would smell but after it was all put back together, nada!
So, yeah I still plan on trying to kill the road noise even more by doing the door panels with the quick roof since i still have a full 25ft roll to use. I also want to add more deading material to the rest of the car, maybe behind the plastic panels in the rear and the door panels. I also started to think of a way to add more on the interior firewall area. all in all I bet i have added less than 10lbs to the car. The carpet padding weighed ~5ilbs and the roll of asphalt stuff was maybe another 5lbs. Sweet project for anyone wanting to quiet there civic a considerable amount for not that much $$$
Old 05-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Homedepot sound deadening my civic

Originally Posted by shanez
So, after reading up on a bunch of threads online. I decided to spend $45-50 of my money and just go to homedepot and get the quick roof (Asphalt based) and regular like 8'x6' carpet padding. I was all worried about spending the money to dampen sound and not have a good result....

HOWEVER!, I installed the quick roof (one roll for ~$16) in the hatch area and the floor boards only. Then installed the padding on the same areas. This seriously did kill ALOT of static noise and annoying road noise. As far as the "tar smell" it's like a few people have posted. When installing this stuff you do get some tar smell, but once installed I dont smell anything. My girlfriend even said that she thought it would smell but after it was all put back together, nada!
So, yeah I still plan on trying to kill the road noise even more by doing the door panels with the quick roof since i still have a full 25ft roll to use. I also want to add more deading material to the rest of the car, maybe behind the plastic panels in the rear and the door panels. I also started to think of a way to add more on the interior firewall area. all in all I bet i have added less than 10lbs to the car. The carpet padding weighed ~5ilbs and the roll of asphalt stuff was maybe another 5lbs. Sweet project for anyone wanting to quiet there civic a considerable amount for not that much $$$
Love the stuff, I will use it before fatmat or all the other expensive ones. They do the exact same thing.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same, I used "Peel and Seal" from Lowe's completely covered the entire inside of my car with 1 layer and 3 layers over the entire trunk. I probably spent less than buying 1 box of Dynamat and did the complete interior of my car. Live in south eastern texas, so alot of humidity and heat... stuff is stuck good and hasn't peeled yet. Been on almost a year now.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is the first ive heard about this stuff...im going to take a trip to lowe's soon
Old 05-30-2011, 04:56 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

I've seen a video on YouTube about this and it seems to work like it claims. I have used Dynamat Super in my first EG hatch and that stuff isn't cheap ($200+). And that was back in the mid '90s.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah see you guys have used this stuff. It's one of those things that a few guys go spreading rumors saying its junk and then no one wants to chance it and buy it. I am very happy with it. I am going to do the doors today and I wanna figure out a solution to the road noise. I can still hear it some but not nearly as much as before. Hopefully after the doors have been done it will almost completely eliminate the noise.

I've also read up on some people who have put sound dampener under the hood. Still up in the air on this idea.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shanez
Yeah see you guys have used this stuff. It's one of those things that a few guys go spreading rumors saying its junk and then no one wants to chance it and buy it. I am very happy with it. I am going to do the doors today and I wanna figure out a solution to the road noise. I can still hear it some but not nearly as much as before. Hopefully after the doors have been done it will almost completely eliminate the noise.

I've also read up on some people who have put sound dampener under the hood. Still up in the air on this idea.
You'll find that mostly on car audio forums like caraudio.com meades and few others you know where the real experts are? lol. There the same people who will argue brand names when it all comes from Korea or China now anyway.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:50 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

As long as it works...it doesn't matter what others think. If they want to argue about it, tell them to buy you several rolls of Dynamat then.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At $1/sqft, I'll buy the "Peel and Seal" from Lowe's over spending $10/sqft + on Dynamat anyday. I have my car completely covered in the stuff and like I said, south Texas where the humidity is 40% + and heat is 90+ in the summer. It is still stuck on like a champ with no signs of peeling after a year.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to note with this stuff or any sound deadening material. Your car will dent easier if you put it on outside panels.

This stuff pretty much eliminates the flexibility of the metal and small impacts will stick instead of bounce back out. Autobody repairs will also cost more as the shop will charge you extra to remove the stuff.

Just something to keep in mind. I've used this stuff in the past also.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah Im deffinately not going to put it on any of the outside panels. I read up for a while and a few others had mentioned the dent problem.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the roll of flashing? I was browsing Lowe's and couldn't find it except the flashing.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the product that Lowe's carries, not sure what "Home Depot" alternative is....

Yea, I did everything except outside rear/quarter panels and the outside of the door panels. You wouldn't cover anything that is really flimsy metal.. otherwise you'll get the dent problem. I did however do the entire floorboard all the way from the firewall back to the trunk and the overhead then replaced the headliner. Really helps cut down on any road noise and makes a great moisture barrier as well.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive used peel & seel before with no problems but the main reason why people dislike it is because its asphalt based...

the newer dynamat, raamat, second skin damplifier etc are all now butyl based.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im so glad i found this!!! My car was gutted by the previous owner and sounds like a god damn tin can inside its so annoying! And there is no way i am paying for Dynamat.

This is my project for tomorrow!!!
Old 11-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Would never use again. Had installed in previous car, it sagged and fell and stunk. I get real, butyl based stuff for 2.50$/sqfoot and I know it'll never fall off or stink.

And the outer panel is probably the most important thing to deaden. The large, flat panels have more resonance than any of the other panels. Deadening just the inner panel does help but you'll still have resonance.