Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Non-Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Non-Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid???

OK and a quick search showed me things similar to this
Wix 58964 In-Line Transmission Filter, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive Wix 58964 In-Line Transmission Filter, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive
With the GOOP I have,would this be to small or useless???
Old 08-04-2013, 06:31 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Add the Trans Tune whenever, just don't overfill the trans.
To see if the trans is actually full, let the engine and transmission warm up fully, check the level, clean the dipstick and then shift into every gear for 5-10seconds after you feel the gear engage. D4 to D3 you will not feel any difference. After selecting D1 and placing back into Park, pull the dipstick, clean it off, reinsert and pull it out to check again. This will charge all the circuits and show how high or low it really is.

Originally Posted by thecyclops
AWESOME!!! Ok,a general estimate of how much this would cost me??? And Im assuming that once the filter is installed that the filters are readily available at wallyworld,etc???
Usually the kits vary in pricing depends on where you get it. A kit like the one pictured is usually in the ~$130 range due to the gauge. But you could probably assemble a kit like that yourself from SummitRacing or any of the online aftermarket performance parts shops for same or cheaper.
Yes the filter used would be an oil filter that you can purchase autoparts from. Usually these kits use a very common oil filter, such as those used on Chevy or Ford V8s.

Originally Posted by thecyclops
OK and a quick search showed me things similar to this
Wix 58964 In-Line Transmission Filter, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive Wix 58964 In-Line Transmission Filter, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive
With the GOOP I have,would this be to small or useless???
This will do fine as well. ANYTHING will be better than what what came from the factory.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Add the Trans Tune whenever, just don't overfill the trans.
To see if the trans is actually full, let the engine and transmission warm up fully, check the level, clean the dipstick and then shift into every gear for 5-10seconds after you feel the gear engage. D4 to D3 you will not feel any difference. After selecting D1 and placing back into Park, pull the dipstick, clean it off, reinsert and pull it out to check again. This will charge all the circuits and show how high or low it really is.

Usually the kits vary in pricing depends on where you get it. A kit like the one pictured is usually in the ~$130 range due to the gauge. But you could probably assemble a kit like that yourself from SummitRacing or any of the online aftermarket performance parts shops for same or cheaper.
Yes the filter used would be an oil filter that you can purchase autoparts from. Usually these kits use a very common oil filter, such as those used on Chevy or Ford V8s.

This will do fine as well. ANYTHING will be better than what what came from the factory.
Sweet,man I REALLY APPRECIATE all this info.Ill give you the short story on my accord.I had a 93 Manual that I recently put over a grand just in maintenance stuff (Timing belt,waterpump,all belts,valve cover gaskets,tires,brakes,and much more) the car when I got it was well maintained with all records and I kept it the same way,would drive it anywhere.2 months ago a driver hit me head on,totaled my incredible little honda,and I was left with $$$ from the insurance to buy another, which pretty much paid me "KBB"which wasnt much.I got this car,a 97 SE,and Ive had the valves adjusted,the valve cover gasket/tube seals replaced,the tranny stuff I just did and still doesnt run like the other.
Now I have the sludge in my engine and oil leak to deal with.....I wish I just had my little coupe back Anywho Im just a family guy,trying to do all the right things to get and keep my honda running correctly. Apparently the previous owner,other than the engine /belts looking new,didnt take very good care of the engine.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I put a temp gauge on my transmission and I was really surprised at how hot the trans fluid got. But when you are using hot radiator water to try and cool hot trans fluid, not much is going to happen. You said it's a 97 SE, so I am guessing it's not a VTEC. I had a major oil leak there some years ago. You might look at the distributor seals too.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for all the advice,I put some miles on it today and its not like new,but WAY better than it was.It seems to like the transmax and the lubegard...
And just so happens that my mothers 92 accord has started having tranny problems today!!! She also has a 2013 CRV,so its not an emergency,but she says the RPM going way up upon acceleration (3100 rpm at 40mph) and its sluggish,like shes pushing the gas pedal,the RPM go up,but the car slowly gets going.Also she said shen she put it in park,that the park light was on as well as the D4 light,like it was in park and drive at same time,but it was in park.Any ideas...Oh and its 190,000 and NEVER had tranny fluid changed.Would the tranny"flush" help this?or just take to mechanic?THANKS AGAIN!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd start by putting new genuine Honda fluid in the transmission. 190,000 miles is way too long for ATF. If that doesn't work you can do pressure tests on the transmission to see where the problem is.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thefew
I'd start by putting new genuine Honda fluid in the transmission. 190,000 miles is way too long for ATF. If that doesn't work you can do pressure tests on the transmission to see where the problem is.
Thanks,gonna do it tomorrow evening.I suppose if it doesnt work then off to the mechanic.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id check the transmission computer first, they are notorious for failure, its under the passenger carpet , pull it back, it will be the small one . ive had several go bad in my 90-92-93 accords, often over looked by mechanics. and get the lube guard and all that other stuff out of the transmission and put Honda fluid in it.
Frank allen
Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My mothers Tranny was just low,but doing the 8 quart+lubegard red on Saturday

My accord is running AMAZING and seems to be getting better everyday.Not like new,but I am VERY happy with the results.Im down with the Castrol Transmax HM and the lubegard I got turned onto also.Shifts like butta....
Old 08-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

smooth shifts = more wear

this topic has been covered 4 million damn times - tired of seeing it everyday. Honda fluid only. If not, enjoy buying/rebuilding a new tranny. Not my money thankfully.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a Honda Integra, 2002, 2.0L (Note: NOT a Type R - just standard 2.0L), automatic with approx 210,000 klms on the clock. I am going to do the next service myself and I just wanted to verify that I am using a safe and quality auto transmission oil that will cause me no problems

SuperCheap Auto was having a 20% off sale so I purchased the following oil:

Auto Transmission oil: Nulon 100% Synthetic, Multi-Vehicle
Suitable for "Dextron II, Dextron III, Dextron VI"
"Compatible with Honda ATF Z1"

As far as the automatic transmission oil goes I rang Honda spares and was advised I should use Honda ATF DW1 which is the upgrade of Honda ATF Z1. I asked the Honda spares guy if the Nulon 100% Synthetic Multi Vehicle oil would be OK. He said he wasn't sure but said a local auto transmission repairer uses the Honda DW1 as well

I then rang two reputable professional automatic transmission repairer's/service businesses (asked to speak to a knowledgeable mechanic) and advised them of the above Honda and Nulon ATF oils. Both said that the above Nulon ATF oil should be OK for the Honda 2002 Integra. One said that Honda put in certain additives in their ATF oil for gear changes. Another said that Honda DW1 is a mix of synthetic oil and normal ATF oil, not 100% synthetic. So I said the Nulon 100% synthetic is overspec isn't it, so it should be OK if not better. He said it should be OK for the 2002 Integra.

I actually rang Nulon HQ in Sydney and explained the above in detail for the Integra 2002 series VTI 2Ltr, auto trans. Nulon said that the 100% Synthetic, Multi Vehicle oil would be OK to use. I said that on the Nulon oil bottle specs it said that it is compatible (equivalent) with Honda ATF Z1 and Honda says that they have upgraded their oil to ATF DW1 - why then isn't that spec on the Nulon bottle specs (only ATF Z1). Nulon said that "we can't update specs on bottles for every car, but that 100% synthetic will be fine for your car"

With the above checks I feel reasonably confident that the Nulon Multi Vehicle 100% synthetic ATF will cause no problem and perhaps work even better as it is over specifications being 100% Synthetic ATF

If I've made a mistake or been mis-advised please let me know?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tech123
I have a Honda Integra, 2002, 2.0L (Note: NOT a Type R - just standard 2.0L), automatic with approx 210,000 klms on the clock. I am going to do the next service myself and I just wanted to verify that I am using a safe and quality auto transmission oil that will cause me no problems

SuperCheap Auto was having a 20% off sale so I purchased the following oil:

Auto Transmission oil: Nulon 100% Synthetic, Multi-Vehicle
Suitable for "Dextron II, Dextron III, Dextron VI"
"Compatible with Honda ATF Z1"

As far as the automatic transmission oil goes I rang Honda spares and was advised I should use Honda ATF DW1 which is the upgrade of Honda ATF Z1. I asked the Honda spares guy if the Nulon 100% Synthetic Multi Vehicle oil would be OK. He said he wasn't sure but said a local auto transmission repairer uses the Honda DW1 as well

I then rang two reputable professional automatic transmission repairer's/service businesses (asked to speak to a knowledgeable mechanic) and advised them of the above Honda and Nulon ATF oils. Both said that the above Nulon ATF oil should be OK for the Honda 2002 Integra. One said that Honda put in certain additives in their ATF oil for gear changes. Another said that Honda DW1 is a mix of synthetic oil and normal ATF oil, not 100% synthetic. So I said the Nulon 100% synthetic is overspec isn't it, so it should be OK if not better. He said it should be OK for the 2002 Integra.

I actually rang Nulon HQ in Sydney and explained the above in detail for the Integra 2002 series VTI 2Ltr, auto trans. Nulon said that the 100% Synthetic, Multi Vehicle oil would be OK to use. I said that on the Nulon oil bottle specs it said that it is compatible (equivalent) with Honda ATF Z1 and Honda says that they have upgraded their oil to ATF DW1 - why then isn't that spec on the Nulon bottle specs (only ATF Z1). Nulon said that "we can't update specs on bottles for every car, but that 100% synthetic will be fine for your car"

With the above checks I feel reasonably confident that the Nulon Multi Vehicle 100% synthetic ATF will cause no problem and perhaps work even better as it is over specifications being 100% Synthetic ATF

If I've made a mistake or been mis-advised please let me know?
1. Welcome to H-T.
2. This is an Accord Tech forum, try posting in the Integra Forum.
3. Just use Honda ATF, it has been covered millions of times and the only people that disagree with it are either cheap or just want to be right no matter what they read or think. Not insulting, just clarifying.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I need to use oils that are handy to buy for my Integra and the Nulon 100% Synthetic oil I purchased was recommended as over specification so "you can't go wrong". It is not a cheap oil. All I want to have verified on this site is > Will this Nulon oil work OK, if not better, than the Honda ATF DW1 ?

When reading this thread basically problems seem to come up on Honda transmissions with people using cheap oils like Dextron II and Dextron III

Unless there is something specifically wrong with top grade 100% synthetic ATF oil please tell me as this specific point does not seem to have been addressed on this thread?

Note: I have started a thread in the Integra section

Thanks for your help so far
Old 09-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech123
I need to use oils that are handy to buy for my Integra and the Nulon 100% Synthetic oil I purchased was recommended as over specification so "you can't go wrong". It is not a cheap oil. All I want to have verified on this site is > Will this Nulon oil work OK, if not better, than the Honda ATF DW1 ?

When reading this thread basically problems seem to come up on Honda transmissions with people using cheap oils like Dextron II and Dextron III

Unless there is something specifically wrong with top grade 100% synthetic ATF oil please tell me as this specific point does not seem to have been addressed on this thread?

Note: I have started a thread in the Integra section

Thanks for your help so far
A simple question to ask Nulon. Will they cover any parts and labor work should any damage occur from using their fluid in your transmission. A simple yes or no on their part should tell you what you need to know

<<<<<<17 years experience ASE Master Auto Technician

FWIW it does not matter whether an oil is synthetic or not,what matters is the additive package. Once upon a time there were very few types of trans fluid used by auto manufactures. Today there are several dozen. How can a "universal" trans fluid hope to meet the specifications of all of them? OEMs dont sell specific types of fluid just to make money off of the public. They engineer specific fluids for specific applications. And it costs millions to engineer this fluid. Best believe a one type fits all fluid would be a dream come true for them.

You do not have to buy only dealer fluids. There are alternatives that meet specific requirements like Idemitsu and BeckArnley,although you may find they cost just as much if not more than dealer fluids....

Last edited by DCFIVER; 09-23-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 02' Accord V6 with 100k on it. Went to walmart and bought 5 gallons of maxlife 100% ATF for $17 per jug. Ran it all through the tranny with 5 D&R's I now have 102K on the car and it shifts nice and firm. So don't fall for the "Only use Honda fluids"
Old 09-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Fitzgr8
Well that's a point of note: When I had the previous model Honda Integra 1997 I went to the Honda dealer to get engine oil and auto trans oil, but what did the Honda dealer sell me for ATF > Maxlife oil ?? (that's right) > after a while a local store was selling the same Maxlife (I think Valvoline Maxlife - correct me if not Valvoline?)

So what gives

Anyway I put the Nulon Multi Vehicle in the 2002 Integra Trans today - it drained about 3.2 ltrs and I put in about 3.2 ltrs of Nulon. Shifts all seem to work fine - no engine revs between gear changes, no clunking or anything noticeable wrong. I am not concerned about those things anyway as if that happens its a sign that one needs the Honda oil and I could do that. My concern is any long term clutch or AT internal damage.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
A simple question to ask Nulon. Will they cover any parts and labor work should any damage occur from using their fluid in your transmission. A simple yes or no on their part should tell you what you need to know

<<<<<<17 years experience ASE Master Auto Technician

FWIW it does not matter whether an oil is synthetic or not,what matters is the additive package. Once upon a time there were very few types of trans fluid used by auto manufactures. Today there are several dozen. How can a "universal" trans fluid hope to meet the specifications of all of them? OEMs dont sell specific types of fluid just to make money off of the public. They engineer specific fluids for specific applications. And it costs millions to engineer this fluid. Best believe a one type fits all fluid would be a dream come true for them.

You do not have to buy only dealer fluids. There are alternatives that meet specific requirements like Idemitsu and BeckArnley,although you may find they cost just as much if not more than dealer fluids....
Thanks for your comments DCFiver

I will actually email Nulon Sydney Aust. and ask the question - not sure if they would give me anything in writing but worth a try. I guess that question works both ways > Would Honda give me any guarantees on parts and labour for their DW1 oil ? If Nulon says ATF Z1 compatible and an employee says its OK to use on the 2002 Integra, they would have to back it up in writing - but won't know till I ask.

I did one fluid change with the Nulon MV (about 3.2ltrs) based on advice of two reputable AutoTransmission service dealers in town and the recommendation of Nulon HQ Sydney.

Maybe the main point, at least in my circumstance, is simply to make sure I actually change to ATF regularily with a quality oil of some compatibility. Perhaps the worst damage one can do is not change the oil on time??
Old 10-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
We all have our ideas......mine, ONLY use Honda fluid....the only "success" I have with my opinion is that the 95 Auto (orig trans) has over 367K...at 65MPH turns just shy of 2,250 RPM's. if you are having to "do the 3 drain and fill routine"....then it sounds like someone has not done the regular maint. So you may not get the same results.

The choice is yours....if you have cold shifting issues in the future...humm. If you don't, good.
please, someone used the wrong fluid in my 2001 accord, now the car is slipping when cold but runs smoothly when hot. My question is, will this be corrected by replacing the wrong fluid with the correct one or do I have to work/replace the transmission?
Old 10-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Fluid is cheaper than a transmission. Try that first.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mate! I went through this same long drawn out Honda Trans Oil vs other top quality oils

Result was, that (from local auto-trans techs advice) you should not use Dextron II or Dextron III as they are inferior. Then after experimenting with another non Honda top quality brand, I thought - its almost the same cost as the Honda stuff (for which they claim specific additives/formulae for their gearboxes). So then I just rang my local Honda dealer, told him my concerns and asked what was the best price he could do for three 4ltr bottles of the stuff and I was pleasantly surprised that they came down significantly to the point it was actually a little cheaper than my other non Honda product.

This way every time you think you hear a strange noise out of the box or something actually does go wrong with the box, you don't have to get nervous about it and blame yourself or the oil !
Old 11-03-2014, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by macmilla
please, someone used the wrong fluid in my 2001 accord, now the car is slipping when cold but runs smoothly when hot. My question is, will this be corrected by replacing the wrong fluid with the correct one or do I have to work/replace the transmission?
I really do not know if new oil will fix it. I do know that I recently had a slipping trans box problem in my Ford because it leaked trans oil into my radiator (from the trans oil cooling section of my radiator) and the loss of pressure caused it to slip.

I am not a mechanic but in my case I did three flushes of the trans box with the correct top quality oil recommended for the box. After each flush I took it for a drive put it gently through all the gears (including reverse) so the correct new clean oil blends through the old oil in every gear. If your Honda model actually has oil filters (find out first), I suggest you purchase two trans oil filters and after the first flush actually take the trans oil pan (sump) off and replace the filter. Put pan back on fill with first new oil, take for drive then flush, take for drive. Then flush out, take pan off, new second filter and then fill with third correct clean oil fill and take for drive and hopefully then its fixed. If not get professional advice.

If for some reason your trans box does not have an oil filter, just do the three flushes and drive it through all gears after each flush. If the slipping does not get better get professional advice.

However, first find out if the slipping is not due to loss of trans oil pressure because of a trans oil leak or simply not enough trans oil was put in at the incorrect oil brand change (check your trans oil dip stick?)

Also, as in my case, make sure your radiator (auto trans cooling section ) did not crack and mix coolant with auto trans fluid. That's easy to see as you radiator fluid will look like a milkshake. I managed to save my auto trans but only because I did not drive but a short distance with the milkshake cross contamination and the mix did not get into my trans box
Old 11-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
smooth shifts = more wear

this topic has been covered 4 million damn times - tired of seeing it everyday. Honda fluid only. If not, enjoy buying/rebuilding a new tranny. Not my money thankfully.
Blah blah. I've put 18K on my V6 accord with valvoline ATF with no problems what so ever!
Old 11-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honda atf. 300k before I swapped my transmission for a manual and sold it to another guy who is using it still. Is the cost really different when you go from honda atf to some other brand that hasn't spent a few billion on engineering their products for THEIR vehicles? Then again the japs have been building engines that outlast the american products in mileage so maybe they know a thing or two about oil as well? Like I said, who has more R&D money...
Old 11-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fitzgr8
Blah blah. I've put 18K on my V6 accord with valvoline ATF with no problems what so ever!
18k miles? Wow that really shows and proves that a fluid is working well. I forgot that if damage is occuring it will be obvious in the first 18k and if not then it is perfectly fine.

But lets totally ignore the thousands of other threads where someone uses non oem honda tranny fluid and starts having problems.

Saving $8 total on cheapo universal fluid vs oem in a $2k transmission makes so much sense. Not. Of course I've said all this before.

If fluid is fluid and there is no difference then why are there so many versions of fluids for other brands? How does a fluid work for both mercon ii and mercon 5 and honda? That is a generalization to point out how stupid universal fluids are and if you can't understand that then you are unable to comprehend anything.

Bye bye - no more caring about auto fluid.

OEM Honda ATF only
Old 11-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
18k miles? Wow that really shows and proves that a fluid is working well. I forgot that if damage is occuring it will be obvious in the first 18k and if not then it is perfectly fine.

But lets totally ignore the thousands of other threads where someone uses non oem honda tranny fluid and starts having problems.

Saving $8 total on cheapo universal fluid vs oem in a $2k transmission makes so much sense. Not. Of course I've said all this before.

If fluid is fluid and there is no difference then why are there so many versions of fluids for other brands? How does a fluid work for both mercon ii and mercon 5 and honda? That is a generalization to point out how stupid universal fluids are and if you can't understand that then you are unable to comprehend anything.

Bye bye - no more caring about auto fluid.

OEM Honda ATF only
whats even more funny is that honda atf doesnt really cost anything more but yet here we are in a whole thread about saving a dollar

Quick Reply: Non-Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid???