Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

radiator fan doesn't work, diagnosis left me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator fan doesn't work, diagnosis left me stumped

The victim: 95 civic hatch with a b20b swap

I kept overheating so while I was putting some more coolant in I figured I should go ahead and check to see if my fan was working properly, AND GUESS WHAT?!??!? So naturally I put on my Sherlock Holmes hat and started investigating, the two fuses are good, I couldn't find anything on how to test the relay so I'm assuming it's good. Next I tried to jump the fan motor with a 15 amp jumper cable on the blue wire and it blew the fuse in the jumper cable. I'm not exactly sure why, so that's why I turn to you HT, any ideas?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: radiator fan doesn't work, diagnosis left me stumped

if you jump the connector on the thermostat and turn the key to on the fan should come, if does its the fan switch

if it doesn't come on jump the fan straight to the battery if the fan now works, it is either the relay, wiring, or fuse, if the fan does not come on straight to the battery, the fan is bad
Old 04-27-2011, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

N00b alert, when you say jump the connector on the thermostat do you mean connect a jumper cable to the two wires or just the signal wire to the battery? Cause I jumped the signal wire for the fan motor to the battery and it blew the fuse in my jumper cable.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

connect the 2 pins in the plug with a paper clip
Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by egsleepercivic
connect the 2 pins in the plug with a paper clip
WORD

I've been using T-pins, hahahaha
Old 04-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do I need the key on to do this? I suck at electrical stuff
Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mine didnt work with my ls so my friend wired it for me to turn on when i turn the key if u want pics on how to do it let me know
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Josueneta
mine didnt work with my ls so my friend wired it for me to turn on when i turn the key if u want pics on how to do it let me know
You'd be my knight in shining armor!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know how to solve this or what to check for?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anybody?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did the fan come one when you jumped the connector. (put each end of a paperclip into connector slots, then go turn the key.)

If the fan doesn't come on, its probably the fan motor (search this forum for that)

If the fan did come on...

I had the same problem with my 00 si, all of a sudden car wanted to overheat while stopped. While moving it wasn't a problem. (this was after finding a crack in the top of the radiator and having it replaced)

So I came here and searched. Found a thread about jumping the fan switch/coolant temp sensor. Did that and the fan worked.

So I replaced the coolant temp sensor/thermo. Then I filled the radiator back up, put the front tires on car ramps and ran the motor with the radiator cap off, so that it would get all the air out of the system. After about 20 mins the fan cycled on/off 3 times and I've been good to go. (don't know if your car has an actual bleeder valve for the coolant system or not.)

I probably could have just put the car on ramps first and bled the coolant system, but I didn't read that far, so after I tried without the front of the car up in the air, I figured I'd spend the 100 bucks at the honda dealer and buy the parts.

I found all of this info by searching this sub-section and reading the FAQs stickies at the top of the section, though I probably spend a good 2 hours reading here.

Moral of the story is you HAVE TO GET THE AIR OUT OF THE COOLANT SYSTEM FOR IT TO WORK CORRECTLY.

This worked for me, might not for you.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you bled the coolant system? the fan will not work with there is air in the system. i bet thats what your problem is.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by egsleepercivic
if you jump the connector on the thermostat and turn the key to on the fan should come, if does its the fan switch

if it doesn't come on jump the fan straight to the battery if the fan now works, it is either the relay, wiring, or fuse, if the fan does not come on straight to the battery, the fan is bad
hit the nail on the head let us know what happened
Old 04-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bled air out last night and it overheated on me this morning. I'm guessing I didn't get all the air out or it's just the fan. Either way I gotta bled the air out AGAIN, so I'll do that and try jumping the connectors. Nice to see people who can actually help a kid out!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jumped the connector for the fan motor and it didn't work. I checked the FAQ section but couldn't find anything on it about that. So I'm guessing that's what I need to replace next? Do I have to bled the coolant before I test the fan circuit?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by j4s0n1337
Jumped the connector for the fan motor and it didn't work. I checked the FAQ section but couldn't find anything on it about that. So I'm guessing that's what I need to replace next? Do I have to bled the coolant before I test the fan circuit?
Ok, I read your posts but I'm a bit confused. AFAIK you can't jump the fan motor connector, the FSM says run the fan connector to a battery to test it, if it comes on its good, if not its bad. What you should be jumping is the fan switch connector thats plugged into the fan switch on the thermostat housing. If you jump that connector, and the fan spins your fan switch is bad.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by s13hero
Ok, I read your posts but I'm a bit confused. AFAIK you can't jump the fan motor connector, the FSM says run the fan connector to a battery to test it, if it comes on its good, if not its bad. What you should be jumping is the fan switch connector thats plugged into the fan switch on the thermostat housing. If you jump that connector, and the fan spins your fan switch is bad.
Sooooooo, I jump the signal wire for the fan connecter to the battery and test it like that? I'm a n00b when it comes to electrical work so please bear with me. I can do a b series swap no prob but I'm clueless about my cooling fan, lol
Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the sensor on the thermostat unplug it from the sensor. take a piece of wire or paper clip and bridge the 2 together in the plug. then turn ur key in the ON position. if u don't hear the fan come on u have a wiring problem or the fan is bad. to test if the fan is bad or not. directly wire it to a battery one wire to the positive and one to the negative it doesn't matter which way u wire it.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so I jumped the connector at the thermostat and the fan cam on for 2 seconds, then stopped, came on again, then stopped. Now it won't come on at all but when I jump it I can hear the relay click, but the fan doesn't spin. So I'm guessing the fan motor AND the switch is bad?
Old 05-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
the sensor on the thermostat unplug it from the sensor. take a piece of wire or paper clip and bridge the 2 together in the plug. then turn ur key in the ON position. if u don't hear the fan come on u have a wiring problem or the fan is bad. to test if the fan is bad or not. directly wire it to a battery one wire to the positive and one to the negative it doesn't matter which way u wire it.
Yes this is correct. If fan does come on though, replace your fan switch.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so I jumped the connector at the thermostat and the fan cam on for 2 seconds, then stopped, came on again, then stopped. Now it won't come on at all but when I jump it I can hear the relay click, but the fan doesn't spin. So I'm guessing the fan motor AND the switch is bad?
Oops you replied as I was posting. Thats weird I've never seen it go and then stop. It could be the fan motor but you have to run it to battery to be sure.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just ran the fan motor to the battery with the key on, I was using a fused jumped cable with a 15 amp fuse and it blew the fuse, so I just used a non fused jumper cable and it melted it. I'm no electrical expert OBVIOUSLY, but I'm guessing it's the motor?
Old 05-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just ran the fan motor to the battery with the key on, I was using a fused jumped cable with a 15 amp fuse and it blew the fuse, so I just used a non fused jumper cable and it melted it. I'm no electrical expert OBVIOUSLY, but I'm guessing it's the motor?
I'm surprised it melted the cable, what gauge did you use? I used 18 gauge wire and just touched it to the battery and it never melted it.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was 18 gauge.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so just to clarify, you unplugged the fan, then took two pieces of wire, added female connectors since the fan connectors are male (right?) then touched one wire to positive on the battery and the other to negative? and then what happened? did you leave the wire on there? you should just have it there for a second, and if the fan spins the motor is good.

Quick Reply: radiator fan doesn't work, diagnosis left me stumped