Old 05-08-2011, 06:07 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: NOFX's Newest Daily - CRX

Originally Posted by DxHatchback
^ What lens was that shot with?

I'm looking at the bulge in the wheels.
Originally Posted by NOFX
Please excuse shitty photo. None of us brought a real camera. Only camera phones.
Samsung Epic.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice~good thing u didnt get a celica.. those cars suck!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice crx you ever get the taillights for it
Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 PM
H-T White Ops

Nope. I'll keep the thread pretty updated with parts I get for it.

Someone did offer me a set for $70 shipped, but haven't heard back yet.

I made a WTB thread too. Might as well repost here in case anyone reading this happens to have anything as well.

Requesting the following OEM parts for a 1988 CRX HF (blue interior). Thanks!

- passenger dash vent
- passenger sun visor
- front seat (stock 88 blue)
- cargo cover (blue)
- floormats (OEM, blue)
- taillights (88-89 preferred, if 90-91 I'll need middle section as well. Must be clean!)
- passenger headlight
- passenger fender (white?)
- three way air intake elbow
- front license plate bracket (V-shaped)
- manual driver mirror
- full set of mudguards
- front lip
- tilt column
- rear window louver

I'm in the Seattle, WA area.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's the first time I've actually seen the stock engine bay of a CR-X HF, thanks for posting that picture, I'm amazed by how small the intake arm actually is! It's no wonder these were so good on fuel.

Did you manage to find out any info on the wheels? When I first saw the thread I had a feeling I've seen some of those before a long time ago.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:37 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by J_Marc
It's the first time I've actually seen the stock engine bay of a CR-X HF, thanks for posting that picture, I'm amazed by how small the intake arm actually is! It's no wonder these were so good on fuel.

Did you manage to find out any info on the wheels? When I first saw the thread I had a feeling I've seen some of those before a long time ago.
I know! Everything on the car seems almost in miniature. Well, besides that giant steering wheel!

The suspension parts are all cute and the intake manifold is adorable!

I kind of wonder if it will be any quieter if I replace that missing intake elbow from behind the passenger headlight.

I might have found some info out about the wheels. No paperwork or anything to back it up yet though.

OE Honda 7-spoke 4x100 13" white wheels, ID?

I should weigh one with a tire on it sometime. Maybe next time I get tires (tires all seem good now) I'll check the weight of one bare.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know! Everything on the car seems almost in miniature. Well, besides that giant steering wheel!

The suspension parts are all cute and the intake manifold is adorable!

I kind of wonder if it will be any quieter if I replace that missing intake elbow from behind the passenger headlight.

I might have found some info out about the wheels. No paperwork or anything to back it up yet though.

OE Honda 7-spoke 4x100 13" white wheels, ID?

I should weigh one with a tire on it sometime. Maybe next time I get tires (tires all seem good now) I'll check the weight of one bare.
Awesome! I do agree it all looks miniature, even the suspension you say? Makes sense, probably not just because it didn't need to be bigger but because Honda needed it to be lighter!

You mention the intake elbow, would that be a hard piece to find or is that front part of the intake system same as an Si or smaller as well?

That seems to make sense about the wheels, It really bugs me though since I know in the back of my head I remember seeing some on an older Honda way back, the harder I think the more it seems I saw some on a white EE wagon and/or a red CR-X.

I'm really diggin' the car, I saw an HF for sale around here a while back. I had seen it last year and emailed about it, couldn't have fit in my budget at the time though. It came back up for sale this year but by the time I went to reply the ad was gone. Sounded real nice too, solid, not winter driven, elderly owner. I hope it pops up again, I wouldn't mind picking one up for a daily.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by J_Marc
Awesome! I do agree it all looks miniature, even the suspension you say? Makes sense, probably not just because it didn't need to be bigger but because Honda needed it to be lighter!

You mention the intake elbow, would that be a hard piece to find or is that front part of the intake system same as an Si or smaller as well?

That seems to make sense about the wheels, It really bugs me though since I know in the back of my head I remember seeing some on an older Honda way back, the harder I think the more it seems I saw some on a white EE wagon and/or a red CR-X.

I'm really diggin' the car, I saw an HF for sale around here a while back. I had seen it last year and emailed about it, couldn't have fit in my budget at the time though. It came back up for sale this year but by the time I went to reply the ad was gone. Sounded real nice too, solid, not winter driven, elderly owner. I hope it pops up again, I wouldn't mind picking one up for a daily.
I've got to be honest with you... I'm liking this car more than I expected I would. I wouldn't mind a Phoenix Red or Barbados Yellow Si later on down the road.

I'd really recommend you set a little aside and keep your eyes open for one (or three...).

This one is too nice to swap or anything. The engine gets decent gas mileage (bad gas mileage is 35mpg, but I've gotten 43.5mpg). Still need to swap in a new fuel filter.

I think the intake elbow is the same for most or all '88-'91 Civics and CRXes.

My best friend and I, with his swapped 240SX next to my CRX, were talking about holding up a tape measure over the intake manifolds of each car to compare... lol Pretty sure it'd be a neat difference between the HF engine and the '98 EX engine I have sitting in the garage too though. Oh, and for the record, my friend loves the HF. It's not like he was hating on it.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:41 AM
WestSPEC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be nice!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice pick up. Looks like you found a gem.

Is that your GPS that tracks your mileage?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got to be honest with you... I'm liking this car more than I expected I would. I wouldn't mind a Phoenix Red or Barbados Yellow Si later on down the road.

I'd really recommend you set a little aside and keep your eyes open for one (or three...).

This one is too nice to swap or anything. The engine gets decent gas mileage (bad gas mileage is 35mpg, but I've gotten 43.5mpg). Still need to swap in a new fuel filter.

I think the intake elbow is the same for most or all '88-'91 Civics and CRXes.

My best friend and I, with his swapped 240SX next to my CRX, were talking about holding up a tape measure over the intake manifolds of each car to compare... lol Pretty sure it'd be a neat difference between the HF engine and the '98 EX engine I have sitting in the garage too though. Oh, and for the record, my friend loves the HF. It's not like he was hating on it.
I'd say go with a yellow Y-49 Si if you can, much nicer CR-X than the usual red ones.

I'd like picking up an HF or even a Civic VX both of which are pretty rare where I am, so I might have to settle for whatever I can get, I currently daily a Nissan Frontier so anything would be better on fuel than that. I've already got an EF8 as a project so one more car would be enough!

That's really good mileage though, I wouldn't swap it either, that car is very original.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 AM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by BlazedD
Must be nice!!!
lol Jason says I have too many cars. I am confused by the idea of "too many" cars.
Originally Posted by creed86
nice pick up. Looks like you found a gem.

Is that your GPS that tracks your mileage?
I have to type in the values when I gas up to get that info shown in the pic I posted, but when I drive it gives me an idea of how much gas I've used. I have to enter in the city/highway fuel economy rating, but it keeps track of my driving habits (you can even look back at how you've been driving) and gives me an estimate based on that.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome thread!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:54 PM
H-T White Ops

Thanks!

Picked up a brand new from Honda muffler today (b-pipe is discontinued and gone!). Also found one of those discontinued intake elbow at the wrecking yard. They let me have it for free. "Take it. I don't feel like writing up an invoice." LOL Sweet.

I might go back and get the airbox/elbow assembly from another car. They're supposed to be sort of glued together I guess, but my elbow was missing and the car I got the part from, they two sections were separated already.

Tomorrow I might see about going to an exhaust shop and have them fab up a new b-pipe for me. The resonator on the one I have sounds like it has something loose jumping around in there. Driving me nuts!

Muffler isn't bad, sounds sort of nice even, but I prefer stock a lot more.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice car, good work!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks!

Picked up a brand new from Honda muffler today (b-pipe is discontinued and gone!). Also found one of those discontinued intake elbow at the wrecking yard. They let me have it for free. "Take it. I don't feel like writing up an invoice." LOL Sweet.

I might go back and get the airbox/elbow assembly from another car. They're supposed to be sort of glued together I guess, but my elbow was missing and the car I got the part from, they two sections were separated already.

Tomorrow I might see about going to an exhaust shop and have them fab up a new b-pipe for me. The resonator on the one I have sounds like it has something loose jumping around in there. Driving me nuts!

Muffler isn't bad, sounds sort of nice even, but I prefer stock a lot more.

I am going to Honda today to get my Si a factory exhaust too. I had the same thing going on....something loose jumping around. When I pulled on one of the tips last night, it broke off lol. I am enjoying seeing you bring your rex back. Keep it up. Factory exhaust FTW!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:09 AM
H-T Administrator

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I must have missed it the first time around, but I might have a set of 89 tail lights in the parts bin. I can't help with any of the HF stuff, as the cars I've parted or still own were all Si's.

Including the formerly Y49 Si that I have no damn time to work on.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:28 AM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by delsoldreams
I am going to Honda today to get my Si a factory exhaust too. I had the same thing going on....something loose jumping around. When I pulled on one of the tips last night, it broke off lol. I am enjoying seeing you bring your rex back. Keep it up. Factory exhaust FTW!
The thing I like about the OE mufflers and exhaust parts is they're usually priced very similarly to the same part from Autozone, but the Honda parts have a lifetime warranty while the Autozone parts have something like 30 days, maybe a year. I don't think it's even a year though.

Btw, muffler is adorable as well.
Originally Posted by Clayton
I must have missed it the first time around, but I might have a set of 89 tail lights in the parts bin. I can't help with any of the HF stuff, as the cars I've parted or still own were all Si's.

Including the formerly Y49 Si that I have no damn time to work on.
I've been offered a set for $70 shipped (no pics yet) and then someone local offered me some for $50. I haven't seen that set yet either.

Sucks because I want the damn lights already! lol The taillights on mine have crud in them and it sort of embarrasses me. Not to mention one of the bulbs is acting really weird and I want to see if the problem is that these sockets are corroded or if I have a wiring issue within the chassis. I replaced most of the bulbs (store only had one pack of 168s, I needed two) and it's been doing it at least since then. The bulb ends were pretty corroded looking on the old bulbs as well.

Eager to get more parts though. Having a lot of trouble finding that seat (found some vinyl ones... but don't want them).
Old 05-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice gas saver
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 AM
H-T White Ops

Thanks.

Looks like the local set is missing one of the harnesses.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:54 PM
H-T White Ops

Tore all of this out of the car today. There were a mess of wires going to behind the radio area (nothing plugged in, just tied together) and some went to a 6 pin switch to the right of the steering column. There was a yellow wire that went from the personal trunk area to the driver side under dash to the passenger side under dash, through a firewall plug and into the engine bay where it was capped off near the fuse box (another tiny piece of black wire was capped off coming from the fuse box). Then a mess of wires ran from the dash area to the driver side of the personal trunk. I saw them when I replaced the personal trunk before the meet last weekend.

Name:  jq7IB.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  232.3 KB

Here's what I mean about the taillights being dirty. When it's light out you can't really tell so much. Maybe when I turn the lights on or brake.

Name:  xkaAn.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  67.6 KB

And the inner light on the passenger side didn't light until the brakes were hit. Then when you'd hit the brakes the far driver brake light would turn off. Turns out the wiring is just loose in the harness. It'd be easier to just get new lights with new harnesses included.

Name:  EbuqP.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  100.4 KB
Old 05-22-2011, 03:43 PM
H-T White Ops

Man, I've been forgetting to update this thread!

So I picked up some taillights from a friend of a friend. I ended up paying more than I wanted to since they were missing a harness from one side and as I later found out had some grime in the tail lights (I guess that's almost to be expected though). But I did get a cleared center piece included with it, which I wasn't expecting or looking for, so I guess it makes it a little better.

I had talked to the guy about the lights before, and wasn't 100% since it was missing the harness for the one side. Then I walked out to the car after having not driven it for two days and found an inch of water in the passenger light. That's just about enough for it to crest over the bulb hole and into the spare tire storage area, which it appeared to have done at least a little bit.

The lights also had no gaskets included, but that was okay since I picked up a nice roll of foam from Joann Fabric the other day. I traced my old gaskets four times and doubled up since the foam was thinner than the OE stuff (but about $50 cheaper!). So far it seems to be working well.

Oh, and brushes were impossible to use to clean all of the interior of the light lenses so I found using an empty ball-point pen body with an cotton swab taped to it worked perfectly.

Oh, and funny story about picking up the lights. The first words out of his mouth when he pulled up in his black CRX were:

"We should trade cars."

lol He said it in an almost disappointed tone, without removing his eyes from my car. I gave a quick laugh and declined his offer.

Replacement tail lights and I wiggled the wiring around to get it to all work (one replacement harness as well).

Name:  mb1Dt.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  57.2 KB

And in the day time.

Name:  tL05W.jpg
Size:  162.3 KB

I also talked to a couple shops about getting my b-pipe repaired since the resonator sounded like it had a big marble shaking around in there. I already knew not to go to Jimmy's. My bestfriend brought his 5G Civic hatch in to get a Spoon muffler put on. They cut the flange off the muffler and welded it to the b-pipe.

So I went to Quality Muffler at the suggestion of another friend. Once I got there I remembered having been there before and for whatever reason leaving unhappy. I don't remember if any work had been done though or if they just gave us the run around.

Anyway, so I ask the guy there about getting a b-pipe made or repaired and mention I need this OE muffler put on at the same time as well (hey, if it's in the air I might as well do it all at once. It's a muffler, it's easy). I tell him I DO NOT want the flange cut. He looks at the muffler even. And still tells me the only way he knows how to do it is to cut the muffler flange off and weld it to the damn b-pipe!

I left, understandably. Eran got tired of it and was getting antsy I think and one day when I walked out into the garage I found him installing the OE muffler anyway. lol

Then I went to Midas since I remember Eran getting helped out there. They put the car up in the air, checked it out and basically told me they just needed to order the correct size resonator. Because of a bend in the pipe and the hanger in the center the resonator is pretty much stuck at being stock length or shorter.

A few days later they called back with a quote and said they'd gotten the resonator in. $184. Wow. More than I wanted to pay, but the stock b-pipe is disco'd so I'm out of luck there. Most OE b-pipes are about $150 though, and this would involve welding, so I guess it's not too bad.

I set up the appointment and guess what? They were so much cooler than I expected. They built me an entire OE-type b-pipe.

he guy at Midas making my new b-pipe. The pic on the ground doesn't show the middle hanger on yet, but that did go on once he mounted it to the car.

Name:  QWinu.jpg
Size:  195.8 KB

Name:  TN9ov.jpg
Size:  104.0 KB

While the car was up in the air I got a chance to take some pics of the 1988 rear suspension, with the ITR-like parts: rear shocks with eyes instead of forks and stamped steel LCAs. Turns out I have some bushings on the way out as well...

Name:  hMv46.jpg
Size:  170.5 KB

Name:  KF6zv.jpg
Size:  185.3 KB

Name:  0bfoK.jpg
Size:  157.4 KB

Name:  jISke.jpg
Size:  147.4 KB

Also, someone had hacked the aftermarket radio harness into the stock harness and we didn't really want to pull the dash to replace the entire harness. When we did it we didn't have the supplies to make it pretty (probably go back in later on), but here's the fix anyway.

Name:  jJPXt.jpg
Size:  176.7 KB

Then I caved and picked up a Sony 360 Color CD player so I have an iPod interface now instead of just a tape deck with a radio. So the long antenna is no longer extended. lol

And a photo Jason editted after the Pacific raceways meet. lol

Name:  78u90.png
Size:  195.2 KB
Old 05-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rock chips are the worst....well door dings after getting them fixed suck too
Old 05-22-2011, 09:27 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by caeavesRSX-S
rock chips are the worst....well door dings after getting them fixed suck too
I think if I got door dings fixed only to have someone rape my door right after I'd be out for blood. Rock chips you really can't help a whole lot besides protectant shields and such.

Quick Reply: NOFX's Newest Daily - CRX