Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

i need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need some advice

i have a 91 prelude 2.1 si. first question is what generation is it? im a little illiterate on the generation thing. secondly im putting a jdm engine in it and was wondering if i should change the 5speed tranny also or maybe just go with a better clutch. if just a clutch, what kind? what other things could i do to help the performance. i saw a bunch of chips on ebay are they any good? which one? i want a little performance, im not going over board. i already have a short ram intake and full exhaust, hedder back. hedman hedder, hi flow cat , pacesetter cat back. im open for any advice.

Last edited by 91prelude23; 04-17-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i need some advice

88-91 is the third generation, 92-96 is fourth, and 97-01 is the fifth. As for the clutch, if you are pulling the motor you can save some time and hassle and just replace the clutch. As for eBay chips...I do not think I would buy something like that without a whole bunch of research. Suggestions, one of the most rewarding power to dollar modifications would be to lighten your harmonic balancer. It's something like 2.8 Hp is freed for every pound of weight removed from the crank.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those ebay chips are a ripoff. Do not buy them. They do nothing. You can gain a little top end power by swapping the intake cam with either one from an 88 b20a5 (direct fit) or one from a b18b (minor machining needed but nets more power) and a set of adjustable cam gears. IIRC the b20a5 cylinder head will raise compression and add power. The throttlebody from an acura vigor is a direct bolt on and it's a larger diameter. Since you have a b21 your car is obd1 so you can get a chipped ecu and a dyno tune. While the engine is out if you are changing the clutch you could always get a lightweight flywheel. One from a 94-01 b18 should work with minor modification (drill a hole for the locating pin on the crank and add timing marks), you just need to use the corresponding clutch kit. The 3rd gen scene is kinda dead here, you'll get more responces at www.p r e l u d e p o w e r.com (no spaces).
Old 04-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know why you would change the tranny. And a stock clutch will do you good, should never slip below 200hp. There is not a whole lot you can do to these engines, especially since the prelude b series is not a true b series.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 91prelude23
i have a 91 prelude 2.1 si. first question is what generation is it? im a little illiterate on the generation thing. secondly im putting a jdm engine in it and was wondering if i should change the 5speed tranny also or maybe just go with a better clutch. if just a clutch, what kind? what other things could i do to help the performance. i saw a bunch of chips on ebay are they any good? which one? i want a little performance, im not going over board. i already have a short ram intake and full exhaust, hedder back. hedman hedder, hi flow cat , pacesetter cat back. im open for any advice.
Like what has been said above, not much on this site for 3rd gens, and the advice given as well is good info.

The only real way to pull power out of these motors is to turbo charge, but that probably goes over your low power goals.

You can port and polish, get more agressive cams, and upgrade your internals to forged piston and rings and rods, and then get tuned.

The only problem is by the time you do all that to the B20a5 motor you will have spent more than boosting and the H22/23 swap.

Other than what you already have with getting a tune and the advice above, the most power in NA form you can pull out of this motor will be about 155-160ish before it gets way more expensive.

So look at what you really want as a goal for this lude and then head over to pp.com(www.p r e l u d e p o w e r.com - no spaces) and learn more over there and see what is supported.