Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

95accord ongoing issue, please read.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 95accord ongoing issue, please read.

I have a 95' Honda Accord lx(approx 177k). I have been having this problem for around 6months now.
It started with my transmission acting up, I knew something wasnt right but my inspection was soon due so I just took it to get inspected and told them about the suspect tranny problem. They looked at it, drove it awhile, and gave me a passed inspection telling me that my transmission was fine. The next day my tranny took a crap.
I decided I wanted to have it rebuilt (yes its high mileage but IMO it worth it for the money I put in.)
I had it rebuilt and the tranny was fine but ther was a problem with the rpms. They would fluctuate about 3000rpm up and down. (dont know exact no. that it is between) I had the car looked at at the same shop that rebuilt the tranny and they checked in, replaced a wire for the alternator, replaced the battery, checked ignition module;coils. I have had the car in there at least 5 times and was told it didnt act up for them and basically it was fixed, and each time it continued to act up intermittently.
After multiple times taking it there I decided to take it somewhere else. This place looked at it alittle and told me I should have my g-wire for my engine block replaced. I had that replaced and drove it for over an hour that day and it drove perfectly fine(normally it would act up in ten min) since that I thought it was fixed and drove it about 2hrs untill it acted up again while i was idling. it was just a few seconds then stopped and i drove it for 30min and it drove great. it hasnt been acting up as much but still does the same thing when it does. the lasttime it acted up I noticed my battery light flickering on and off and it seemed as I accellerated more or went up and incline it brightened and stayed on more often. After that the rpms would jump up and down and it sounds like the car is going to shut off.
Yesterday I tried taking it out for a drive and when drove about ten yds to pull out lot it shut off. The battery light and oil light were on and car was off. The headlights, radio, neons, gauges all stayed on. I turned the key off and started it bac up. It started right away and when I went to back it in spot when I hit the brake it shut off again right away.

Please anyone that could help with any ideas that would be great this has been a long stressfull stuggle with this problem.
Any other information that could help just ask. thanks.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 95accord ongoing issue, please read.

Check the alt output, what does it read?
Might as well have the battery charged/tested or replaced as well.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:50 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The alternator was checked its fine and the battery is about 2 months old, I replaced it when I thought it could be related to the problem.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, when it shuts off does it start right back up. If not, can you verify spark and or fuel is present.

Do you have a volt meter? If so when the battery light starts to come on, measure the voltage at the battery
Old 04-21-2011, 04:56 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by hondaaccordsohc
Please anyone that could help with any ideas that would be great this has been a long stressfull stuggle with this problem.
Any other information that could help just ask. thanks.
Check to see if your two main ground cables are still attached to the car.
There should be one cable that leads from the negative terminal of the battery, down to the transmission, it may be hard to see as the fan and battery/battery tray may get in the way.
And there is a three point ground wire from the cam/valve cover to the engine mount, to the body on the engine mount that is attached to the front of the engine where the cam belt is.