Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

2005 Honda Accord - Key fob stopped working..Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 2005 Honda Accord - Key fob stopped working..Help!

2005 Honda Accord 2 door Coupe
2.4 liter ( 4 cylinder) ---in case this info is needed???

Hello everyone!I am looking for some suggestions/ideas or even answers to this predicament I am having.

In the last month whenever I would be going to my car and would hit unlock on the key fob or locking it when leaving somewhere, etc. it would sometimes work and sometimes not work. So it was basically intermittent. I thought the battery in the fob was going seeing as I have had the car for 4 years now and haven't replaced it yet. So I went and bought 2 batteries. I replaced the battery and went out to my car to find it working, so I thought problem solved. Wrong. It worked just that one time and hasn't since. So for the last week i was just using the key and actually opening it manually in the door, no big deal. Then I remembered when I bought the car that I received 3 remotes with it. So I went and got the other one that I have maybe used 5x in 4 years and it didn't work. I replaced the battery in that one also just in case it had gone dead throughout these years.

I did some research online and found many issues with this. This is what I did so far to try to correct this problem...

1. Cleaned the key fob battery terminals(I read that sometimes there is either grease or corrosion that can build up....both of the key fobs looked spic and span like new inside but I still cleaned them VERY well regardless)

2. Replaced the batteries in both remotes like I just mentioned

3. I got my battery in my car tested(I thought maybe if my battery was going dead for some reason the key fob function would not have power going to it..i don't know...but the battery was in great condition and all the levels were normal).

4. I got the re-programming instructions from the Internet and Honda, where you have to do the thing where you turn key to on position, press lock, off, etc. and all of that which when I did that the windows did make the noise when it was in programming mode like it said it was supposed to do, and the remotes worked for about 10-20 seconds and then would not work again. So it seemed like programming them again was what was wrong, but then it would become un-synced again.

5. Both red lights on the fobs are bright and working fine when being pressed.

Hmmmm....I think that is it. Now I read online about fuses in the cars and this key fob issue. I read that this backup fuse that controls many electrical functions including power windows could be blown and a couple others. I have not checked the fuses yet(it's too dark out now, am going to in the morning) but in my opinion, if one of the fuses were blown, would the key fobs be not working AT ALL when re-programming them/10 seconds after? I just don't think that if a fuse is blown, that it would work whatsoever but I am probably wrong. So this is the last step I am going to check. I am so lost with this and don't know why all of a sudden after 4 years it would stop working and why it is still not working after the steps I performed. I am really hoping it is not something serious. After all, the whole 4 years of owning this car I have never had any problems with it..just regular maintenance and it has ran so good. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions or anything else I can possibly try? I hate going to the dealership and like doing it on my own anyways so anything would be helpful. Maybe someone has had this issue before? I know I am not the only one! But thanks in advanced and just let me know...thanks everyone!

Allison
Old 04-14-2011, 06:04 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord - Key fob stopped working..Help!

The problem is most likely in the alarm brain itself, [RF section], all I can suggest is to find alarm brain and check it's ground connection, if good, it's back to a problem in the alarm brain. 94
Old 11-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Trial User

hi allison,

any luck with this?
I'm in a similar situation. But it's with a 2005 honda civic. Neither fob is working, replaced battery and it seemed to fix it for a period,but am locked out now!
Would love to know how you got past, if you did... !

thanks,
-O
Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Trial User

Yes! Wow I totally forgot about this post. It is sort of a difficult situation to explain and might take me a minute to write. Since I don't have much time right now, I will write back to this forum tomorrow to let you know what happened. So expect a post tomorrow by at least 9-10 P.M. central time.!!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:27 AM
Trial User

Hi Allison,

I am having the same issue and very interested to know how you solved your problem.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 08-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My son's 2005 Accord opened, but will not fire, even though the starter functions. Immobilizer issue? Changed battery, even got the spare FOB, but still will not fire. Suggestions?
Old 04-25-2019, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fxxkin hate this ****. OP finds an solution but never reports back.