Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Fully Slammed 1st Gen

Old 12-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fully Slammed 1st Gen

Hi everyone i am an owner of a 98 v. i got her about a year and a half ago and this is what she looked like when i first got her.

Then i got some money and some ideas and i got some tints and i decided to drop the v 2 inches. I did the ghetto cut spring thing for a little bit to accomplish this drop. I got some 18in rims too and i put a cold air intake in and stereo mods. I started to paint it flat black starting from the front and doing the rear hatch. DIdnt have enough time to finish but in the spring it will get fresh paint. Here is a picture of that

After rollin around on cut springs for a bit i decided that i needed some real suspension. I did research upon research on lowering a 1st gen crv. There are alot of strut and spring combinations that can be used along with coilover sleeves. I wanted a one piece coilover set up and the two most common brands that sell coilovers for the v is Ksport and D2 which are both around $800.

People have used civic suspension but that set up is valved too soft which in turn bottoms out alot on small bumps. I did some more research on similar hondas of my year crv and found the 98 to 02 accords to have a similar suspension set up

I purchases a full coilover set up from Function and Form for a 98-02 accord planning to put it in my crv. This is not a direct out of the box bolt on. U have to take the mounts off the coilover and put ur stock mounts on the coilover for them to work. And the rear lower bushing on the coilovers are too big for the crvs rear lca so u just have to shave it a little bit.

After a couple hours of work i dropped my crv to the floor. The fronts are as low as they go and the rear can probably be dropped another inch or so.

From ground to front trim= 25.5in
From ground to rear trim= 26in

I ran .5 in rake for aerodynamics and for the purpose of being to load the v up with ladies and not have to much sag There are some minor rubbing issues when i turn and hit kinda big bumps but its nothing big

************ A couple things to kno about lowering a crv************

1. You will need an alignment after u drop your vehicle, i recommend getting atleast a rear camber kit, a civic of this year would work for the rear but NOT the front. U will need a crv specific camber kit for the front

2. There have been some cases that the front upper control arm will make contact with the ridge inside the wheel well. there is a forum where a user on this site lowered his crv and had contact. I didnt have this problem being that i have new upper control arms with new bushings, idk if that solved the contact problem.

3. It would be a good idea to start with fresh ball joints when u lower your crv, having a stiffer lower ride height will wear out suspension componnents faster so if your down there installing struts matters well add some other things too.

Alright enough with my talking here are some pictures of the set up, i will post up more when the weather isnt as bad.
ENJOY!

Post comments and questions!!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fully Slammed 1st Gen

are you from worcester? ive seen this before lol
Old 12-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no im not from worcester but im from MA, 20 min from worcester. Its cool finding people from your area on forums. I have some friends that go to school there and i ride bmx in worcester all the time
Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drop looks good!
good job!!

all you need now is a good set of rims.....!!!
keep us updated, good luck!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I still have those 18s but I just need tires though. Thanks for the comments guys
Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wowzers! How is the ride now?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EL Vap133
Wowzers! How is the ride now?
Honestly the ride is great its stiffer than stock. Thesse coilovers dont have any adjsutable dampening but they are valved good. It rides similar to my sisters 2010 civic. There is limited body roll and its not so stiff that u cringe when u hit bumps but its nice. The handling is superior though
Old 12-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually this looks pretty good. honestly. heh. I would take my time and finish the paint and make sure it looks good, no tiger stripes. and be done for a lil while. pretty nice. I like it. good work.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i plan on finishing the paint in the spring. No need to toss fresh paint on it to get salted down in the winter. My friend has a gun and compressor so it will be official when its all said and done. Its a work in progress and thanks for all the comments guys. Ive worked hard for what i have
Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the ride so far? No snow?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That stance looks awesome. Always wanted a lowered CRV
Old 12-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Power
How's the ride so far? No snow?
The ride is good. There is no snow yet, we got a little flurries today but im ok with being low for the winter, its awd and all the lowered subarus handle snow well so im up for it.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i've heard that ek upper control arms are the same as the 1st gen cr-vs...any pics to prove/disprove this? i've got a rear camber kit for mine already and am in the market for a front kit so i can do all of this at once.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NAxSOLDIER
i've heard that ek upper control arms are the same as the 1st gen cr-vs...any pics to prove/disprove this? i've got a rear camber kit for mine already and am in the market for a front kit so i can do all of this at once.
ive tried my sk2 adj. control arm before.. it didnt work, the bushing for crv is
too wide so as the mounting... i have ingalls adj. camber kit on my other V, i havent
tried using another kit on my track/toy V since on the stock upper control arm,
i had to grind the edges so it could clear the ridge under the wheel well, then later
i just decided to cut of the ridge..LOL!! i have more play on the control arm now..
although this would mean that the bushings will wear out faster....
Old 12-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by qwrty
ive tried my sk2 adj. control arm before.. it didnt work, the bushing for crv is
too wide so as the mounting... i have ingalls adj. camber kit on my other V, i havent
i had to grind the edges so it could clear the ridge under the wheel well, then later
i just decided to cut of the ridge..LOL!! i have more play on the control arm now..
U did cut the ridge out of inside of the wheel well? What did you use to do this? And when u say that u have play in the upper control arm that it would hit that ridge?
Old 12-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BoosterB16
U did cut the ridge out of inside of the wheel well? What did you use to do this? And when u say that u have play in the upper control arm that it would hit that ridge?
i used torch and grinder... i removed it since ive been hitting that ridge when i started
lowering my V, then later on the upper control arm got stuck several times thats why
i need to grind some part of the uca and fully remove the ridge.. if you see my V is an
aggressively low V, its really my toy car.. im now prone to replace the uca more frequently
since ive been going over the normal play of the uca... im using coilovers if you're
gonna lower your V same as mine, youll experience it..
Old 12-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the shock tower looks to be the same between a cr-v and a 96-00 civic...what about using the mount bracket/bushings from a civic? then the skunk2 arm would fit on the bushings and be able to bolt into the cr-v shock tower. did you look at the length of the skunk2 piece compared to the stock cr-v arm? was it shaped correctly to clear the ridge in the wheel well?
Old 12-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mhmm well i was thinking of geting the ingalls control arms that have the camber adjustment on it. But i was wondering if there is any possible way to push out the bushings in the arm that get worn and get replacement ones? That is what u mean buy the arms getting play in them or is it the balljoint too? Why is it that its lowered they wear out quicker? I understand the concept of balljoints getting worn because of their angle and they take a beating.
My arms clear the ridge now and my uca's arent really that new. I replaced them 6 months ago. But i guess i will have to keep an eye on them as they wear.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good
Old 12-20-2010, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is ur v 2wd or 4wd?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good! it sits almost exactly the same as mine does, just different spring/strut combo. and yea i would shave the "ridge" for sure. i just cut mine out (but about a 2 inch gap out of it for clearance) getting those control arms stuck is a BITCH. it renders the car un driveable and unless you like fixing your car on the side of the road, its no fun lol. its not IF they will get stuck, its WHEN they get stuck. its physically impossible for them to NOT get stuck....if one of the front wheels gets pushed up far enough, they will get stuck (going up an incline at an angle did it to me 2 times....the sway bar forces the wheel higher on the incline, farther up into the wheel well)
Old 12-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spoolin94ls
is ur v 2wd or 4wd?
4wd
Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fast2camciv
looks good! it sits almost exactly the same as mine does, just different spring/strut combo. and yea i would shave the "ridge" for sure. i just cut mine out (but about a 2 inch gap out of it for clearance) getting those control arms stuck is a BITCH. it renders the car un driveable and unless you like fixing your car on the side of the road, its no fun lol. its not IF they will get stuck, its WHEN they get stuck. its physically impossible for them to NOT get stuck....if one of the front wheels gets pushed up far enough, they will get stuck (going up an incline at an angle did it to me 2 times....the sway bar forces the wheel higher on the incline, farther up into the wheel well)
Could u possibly send me pictures of ur ridge cut out. i just want to see how much of it u took out and how hit looks
Old 12-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you lift your V... youll see it right away under the wheel well...
its looks like a plane or a flat surface underneath, you wouldnt miss it,
it also looks like its apiece under the well that was misplaced,LOL!
idk if it acts as a stopper or something but its really PITA when you get
your UCA stuck there, i remember when we picked up some jdm stuff in
philly, while on our way back to NJ/NY we hit a deep pot hole and my
UCA got stuck while in the middle of turnpike..we crawled our way back home......
the next day, we just ripped that ridge off! LOL...

g/l!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BoosterB16
Could u possibly send me pictures of ur ridge cut out. i just want to see how much of it u took out and how hit looks
i dont have any pics, but like qwrty said, just jack up the front end and look up there....chances are its all shiny from where your control arm is already hitting. its plain as day. \= <- thats kinda what it looks like if the \ is your control arm and the = is the strip of metal....it acts like a stopper, but when the \ goes up above the =.....it gets stuck cause it cant come down. that compresses your suspension all the way down and it doesnt move. only way to fix it is un bolt the upper control arm from inside the engine bay.

but yea, look inside the wheel well all the way at the top of the fender, you will see what we are talking about.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fully Slammed 1st Gen