Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car wont start!? Help me out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start!? Help me out!

Ok i was driving my car all day today. Friends house back home. School n back home. I leave my car home and take my moms car around cuz its pouring here n hate driving my car in the rain. I was going to change the Dizzy o ring so i just let the car cool down for like 6-7hrs. I come back home n change the dizzy o ring. Put everything back on n went to go start it nothing wont start just turns over. So i thought i put the dizzy on wrong n i turned the dizzy 180 degrees n put everything back. Still doesnt start. At this point im confused. All i did was take off my intake to have easy access to the dizzy bolts. Unbolted the dizzy with everything still plug n connected like the spark plug wires n all that all i did was just unbolt n bolted it right back on. Just to make sure the timing is right i put the engine to tdc and took off my cap to see where the rotor was pointing and it was pointing to cylinder 1 spark plug so i know timing is right. I check spark n got spark. I smell fuel n i hear the fuel pump coming on. I checked my fuel cut off switch n i turned it on where the fuel pump doesnt kick on n i start it and i let it crank over a couple times n i tries to start but i flip the switch back on n it just goes back to a normal car just turning over doesnt sound like its gonna start when the switch was on. My brother said i must of flooded the engine with fuel so i took out my spark plugs n they are a lil damp n it smells just like fuel i look in the cylinder n dont see a flood in there just looks a little wet but nothing like a flood. Same goes with all the other spark plugs n cylinders. Im just gonna let spark plugs out n just let the fuel evaporate if i did flood it over night but i dont think thats my problem. If anyone can help me out. Oh and sprayed brake cleaner all over the block n tranny to clean all the oil for the oil leak dunno if something got wet n messed up but i dont have a CEL. Just want to get my car back up n running. I have no idea whats wrong at this point. Thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Car wont start!? Help me out!

The car is a 98 civic ex with a jdm b16 swap
Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Is spark bright white or weak orange or deep blue at the plugs?

Did you reinstall the plug wires in the correct firing order on the distributor cap?

Any CEL codes thrown?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I dunno the spark color my friend was checking the spark. I didnt unplug the plugs or nothing. I just took out the dizzy with everything on it n put it back on. I dont have no CEL. I read up that when i put the dizzy on wrong where the dizzy shaft didnt go in the camshaft right cuz i probably must of forced it in to make it fit that way cuz the first time i put the dizzy on it didnt slide in like butter. When i 180 turned it did n i found out thats the way its suppose to go in. They said i could of skipped couple of teeth on the cam gear or something. I will have to check this in the morning.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Click the spark link in my signature. It's important to know the quality of the spark.