Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

NO2 or Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO2 or Turbo

Since I haven't found any topics discussing the 2 bolt-ons, I wanna ask the experts on which would be an easier, better path to go. Since Ive been researching boosting my f22a1,( and want to in a bad way) I hear a voice from my past.
... tell me if on wrong. My "experienced" homie that builds muscle cars told me long ago that forced induction and no2 were one and the same concepts - gettin more oxygen & fuel into the chamber - he broke it down:
Basically in the atmosphere u have oxygen, carbon monoxide, and nitrogen. Nitrous-oxide (NO2) is sprayed into the intake, blah blah blah. Just as forced induction + increased fuel, a wet set is going to be the same performance results.
My argument then was "nos is extremely damaging to the motor" . He said "nope, a tuned wet set is no more harmful than a tuned set of boost". Its an easier set up, with 2 cylinoides, wires ran, etc. Tho, I'll miss the ruff purr of that turbine, blow off valve etc.
Im asking myself why would I go through all the steps ( of replacing injectors, messing with the ecu, all the tubing, the inter cooler, oil lines, turbo, valves ) when I could just get a wet set and get the same performance out of my daily driver, and keep my good fuel economy when im not mobbing the ish outta my daily driver.
Just to add, my performance goals is to, (well since off a tuned turbo my stock f22a1, in good condition should give me a realistic 250whp) throw a 125 wet shot. Bad idea? (I guess it might be a bad idea cuz turbo would build pressure progressively, where that 125 shot just might blow the sh*t out of the bottom end)

What am I missing? Where am I wrong?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NO2 or Turbo

you can do both turbo & nos. what some people are doing these days is water meth instead of nos. with all honda motors you can only do so much with stock internals. if you add turbo or nos, compression plays a big role. my opinion is with stock internals your just asking for trouble adding any 3 of those upgrades. depending on goals & money i would build the block & head if you add any of those
Old 04-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Nitrous Oxide is limited by the size of the bottle you have and how frequently you want to fill it. A turbo is always there if you want it. Also they both require ECU tuning. You don't just throw a nitrous kit onto a stock engine with a stock ECU and think that it will run well or be reliable.

If you want this on a daily driver. I would think a turbo would be better. I have tuned a few Daily driven boosted B18's that actually get better MPG than with a stock ECU. If you have a good tuner you can keep the engines stock MPG when cruising around out of boost. Then when you step on it the boost will be right there.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turbo all day this isnt a purpose built engine. nitrous would eat your motor. besides a turbo has much more potential.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Part a me was hopin to much more good about squeeze, but now that ive heard a couple points against nos, I feel like im back to my senses. I know I'll like boost way better.
is there any reputable complete boost kits around for my stock 93, 5spd accord?
Anybody know if I'll still be able to keep my a/c with this f22a1?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use the DSM turbo setup off an eclipse. All you have to do is slot the manifold a little bit and you're good to go.

Check this out: http://www.drummersteve.com/TurboInstall.pdf
Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this really a question? Boost all the way.

btw: Dominic Torreto called, he wants his NOS back.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arthas
Is this really a question? Boost all the way.

btw: Dominic Torreto called, he wants his NOS back.
Got enough nos in that thing to blow himself up..
Old 07-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Trial User

boost and nitrous if ur not in a budget but if it came down to either or boost will get you what you want better and reliable
Old 07-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boost first, then a small 35-50 shot later, or better yet get a water meth kit so you can RUN MORE BOOST SAFELY.....

you will LOOOOVEEEEE boost.. you will love nitrous too... but as they have already pointed out boost is all the time plain and simple...

i have had turbo, nos, water meth w/turbo, and supercharged..... turbo ownz.. check my build thread.. car has had 3 setups in 6 years.. i just put a simple engine in to pass NJ emissions, now im getting a F20b for the hell of it while i save AGAIN for my 500+hp k24 turbo water meth injected caged coupe haha!!!!

BOOST homie... dsm kit for 500 bucks, chipped p28, tune enjoy.. ive said enuff lol
Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 PM
The Science Guy

I am not a chemist but shouldn't it be N2O?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xentropa
I am not a chemist but shouldn't it be N2O?
shhhhh...you're gonna give the noobs headaches
Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

an f22 can take 10 pounds if TUNED properly on stock internals.So a word to the wise would be buy a quality kit or source it yourself with QUALITY parts and 10 pounds is more then enough. a quality kit tuning and install will be at least 3500 5000
Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say NOS is easier to install, turbo is more fun and complex, superchargers are more expensive, if your talking about low down base base kits, obviously you can get a 3k turbo and wreck my model.
any and all of them work in conjunction as long as you have $$$ and time and patience to tune your motor.
spay is fun for quick HP but if you use it to help spool the turbo just use the new S300 hondata and save the money from the spray and get a ball bearing turbo
Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondaman1212
an f22 can take 10 pounds if TUNED properly on stock internals.So a word to the wise would be buy a quality kit or source it yourself with QUALITY parts and 10 pounds is more then enough. a quality kit tuning and install will be at least 3500 5000

12 is usually the upper limit for stock F22Ax engines, but with tuning getting better and better you can go alittle higher, also it depends on how long you think a turbo motor should last, if you want 3k miles before a rebuild run 30psi :p
you can make more power if your system has no leaks/restrictions, which doesnt mean bigger pipe, it means a nice FMIC and properly sized turbo pipe and a nice intake manifold and exhaust manifold, this also lowers when your boost comes in.
i re did my turbo pipe and took out almost 2 feel of pipe that was 2.5 and i lowered my full boost rpm by 1k rpm from 4.2k to 3.2k
Old 07-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What your engine will take all depends on the health of it too begin with. It really doesn't matter how many PSI you put too it. If your rings are worn and the pistons are shot it isn't going to be very reliable under any boost or N2O.

Start with crap, add cheap crap and you get crap!

A healthy engine and good tuning is the key to reliability with any build.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
What your engine will take all depends on the health of it too begin with. It really doesn't matter how many PSI you put too it. If your rings are worn and the pistons are shot it isn't going to be very reliable under any boost or N2O.

Start with crap, add cheap crap and you get crap!

A healthy engine and good tuning is the key to reliability with any build.
ya for sure, its nice to see people starting to understand that building a motor is not just for race cars, you need to strengthen and check the health of any motor thats above stock to a certain degree
Old 07-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the way I have been building them for 20 years!... Healthy and reliable is the only way to go! That's for race or a daily driver!

Build it right the first time!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bigginsUT
Part a me was hopin to much more good about squeeze, but now that ive heard a couple points against nos, I feel like im back to my senses. I know I'll like boost way better.
is there any reputable complete boost kits around for my stock 93, 5spd accord?
Anybody know if I'll still be able to keep my a/c with this f22a1?
yes you can keep your A/C along with your power steering and cruise control.. it gets a lil tricky but im using a log manifold on mine and no front motor mount. your other 3 better be beefed up though if your gonna put out any power.
my new build thread to come real soon for my f22 a6 93 accord so ill have pics up for you
Old 07-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hYbrid_snIper
12 is usually the upper limit for stock F22Ax engines, but with tuning getting better and better you can go alittle higher, also it depends on how long you think a turbo motor should last, if you want 3k miles before a rebuild run 30psi :p
you can make more power if your system has no leaks/restrictions, which doesnt mean bigger pipe, it means a nice FMIC and properly sized turbo pipe and a nice intake manifold and exhaust manifold, this also lowers when your boost comes in.
i re did my turbo pipe and took out almost 2 feel of pipe that was 2.5 and i lowered my full boost rpm by 1k rpm from 4.2k to 3.2k
idk mine fell apart with 19 lbs but no timing was pulled either. ha ha haaa guess i got a lil greedy. i was on a .030 over rebuild with less than 500 miles on it. block help up just fine but the ringlands in one piston went to hell.. and ummm.. 12 lbs felt ok but my turbo was small also "turbonetics" 53 mm wheel.. my new build thread soon to come!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and i would definitely have to say boost not NOS.. pulled my 75 shot off mine and its just sitting around now.. trying to get rid of it....