Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

ebay lowering springs... advice?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay lowering springs... advice?

I'm doing some suspension work on my em1 and would like to drop it an inch or two, nothing major. It's just a DD, and wondering what people's opinions were on how it rides or handles... Not plans on hard cornering, just for asthetic reasons... I've been thinking of getting tien s-techs for the oem feel and lowering capabilities, but dont want to spend alot on springs... My car needs alot more work!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: ebay lowering springs... advice?

S-tech's would do what you want.

If you are planning on lowering the car, I look into new shocks also.

The Koni STR-T, or sport would be great. For a budget, the STR-T would work well.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well my car used to be tucked by the previous owner, and the stock struts were put in storage... However, my front drivers strut it broke and ive already ordered 2 used oem struts with 75k miles on them.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eBay brand? You're wasting your money.
Quality product in good condition purchased used on eBay for a reasonably low price? Go for it!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Master Detailer

I would throw the shocks away.

OEM shocks really don't like to be lowerd, or have increased spring rates. People have used the S techs in the past on stock shocks will good results, but that doesn't mean you wil have the same.

Aftermarket springs, get shocks meant for that.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

save your money and get a full coilover set, some k-sport kontrol pro are decent for dd, you will regret the ebay sleeves i know i did, i said the same thing and driving was never a worse experience bumpy and bouncy with horrible understeer was also rolling with no camber kits and messed up my wheel bearings, 100 bucks seems like a good idea till it costs you a whole heap more in repairs
Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Master Detailer

^Why are full coilovers better?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by password:b16
save your money and get a full coilover set, some k-sport kontrol pro are decent for dd, you will regret the ebay sleeves i know i did, i said the same thing and driving was never a worse experience bumpy and bouncy with horrible understeer was also rolling with no camber kits and messed up my wheel bearings, 100 bucks seems like a good idea till it costs you a whole heap more in repairs
For what the OP wants, KSports are about the worst possible suggestion, aside from no-name sleeves.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ksport coilovers arent that terrible. As long as you install them 100% according to their directions and dont remove lock rings to "slam" them more. They've been on my beater 04 civic for 90k miles and are still going strong. Are there better options? Yes.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92civiceg9gsr
Ksport coilovers arent that terrible. As long as you install them 100% according to their directions and dont remove lock rings to "slam" them more. They've been on my beater 04 civic for 90k miles and are still going strong. Are there better options? Yes.
I actually wasn't referring to the quality of the KSport setup in my post above. The OP wants a somewhat mild drop, for aesthetic reasons only. KSport or most any coilover setup is not the best choice for this.

However I would recommend Koni/GC with the "normal" GC spring rates of about 380/250 f/r (around 6.75 kg/mm front and 4.5 kg/mm rear). That way you won't be jarring your teeth out, and you can dial the ride height in exactly where you want it. I would not recommend SLAMMING the car with those spring rates, but that would be fine for a mild drop.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I actually wasn't referring to the quality of the KSport setup in my post above. The OP wants a somewhat mild drop, for aesthetic reasons only. KSport or most any coilover setup is not the best choice for this.

However I would recommend Koni/GC with the "normal" GC spring rates of about 380/250 f/r (around 6.75 kg/mm front and 4.5 kg/mm rear). That way you won't be jarring your teeth out, and you can dial the ride height in exactly where you want it. I would not recommend SLAMMING the car with those spring rates, but that would be fine for a mild drop.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had $25 APC springs on my eg sedan for over a year with no probs. it rode bouncy when the roads where chewed up in the city. Out in the county where the roads were smooth, I couldnt really tell it wasnt stock anymore. And the car was using the original shocks, bushings, and hardware with 192000 miles on it. Had 245000 on it when I sold it. I just got a ej1 coupe end of march I will be going the same route again, cause I just want the car to sit low and not have reverse rake....EWW. I have had quite a few hondas all where lowered. The one thing that bothered me the most was spending over $1000 on coilovers, that didnt really ride or handle much better than the $25 crap I was to embarrased to even tell anybody I had. The setup I had that I liked most was GC coilovers over top of used stock GSR shocks on a eg hatch, I spent $400 on peicing together. If your not racing on weekends you prolly wont need coilovers. I like my GC over my S-techs cause I could adjust the height. They both ride a little bouncy if you ask me
Old 04-27-2011, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you put those GC's on real shocks (Koni Sports) they will not be bouncy.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For $450 shipped you can have the Tein S.Tech and Koni STR.T. That's probably the best and cheapest setup for you.

Save up another ~$100 and you can get Progress coilovers which are real nice. The ride will be a bit more harsh than the S.Tech/STR.T but you can adjust the height.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wondering if these are legit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260774521372

Price + free shipping seem too good to be true!
What do you think?
Old 05-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1&OnlyDB
Wondering if these are legit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260774521372

Price + free shipping seem too good to be true!
What do you think?
That's about what they run for. Though be cautious Tein has had problems with companies making knock-offs of their springs.

Might be worth the extra $10-20 to know you're buying a legitimate tein product from an authorized dealer.

What is an extra $20 ultimately?
Old 05-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
That's about what they run for. Though be cautious Tein has had problems with companies making knock-offs of their springs.

Might be worth the extra $10-20 to know you're buying a legitimate tein product from an authorized dealer.

What is an extra $20 ultimately?

Especially skunk2. The most fake skunk2 products on ebay are intake manifolds and shift *****.
And i say save up money to buy a more better quality lowering springs. H&R and Neuspeed lowering springs offer 1.5" drop and are the softest lowering springs out there.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:43 PM

Coilovers are ideal but obviously not everyone can afford em. I would be iffy with the eBay coils you come across. I've noticed that they ride like junk and can be defective right out of the box.

Save your pennies alittle longer. We offer forum discounts if your looking for a nice lowering coil.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Trial User

Do not get E-bay springs! They ride terrible. You have to pay to play.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

U don't want those ebay springs with stock struts. U will be bouncing everywhere. I had em for a while and they sucked so much I barely wanted to drive. I've since then bought tokico blues and trust me it worth the money. Just save and do it right the first time. But ultimately its your choice. That's just my advice
Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scia220
U don't want those ebay springs with stock struts. U will be bouncing everywhere. I had em for a while and they sucked so much I barely wanted to drive. I've since then bought tokico blues and trust me it worth the money. Just save and do it right the first time. But ultimately its your choice. That's just my advice
Tokico blues are OEM replacement shocks. The only reason they could be better than your oem shocks is that they're much newer and haven't lost any pressure. Those ebay lowering springs/coilovers will blow your tokico blues in a matter of time.

Cheaping out on any component is a bad idea, it's especially bad when it comes to tires/suspension on your car.

For mild drops I'd recommend at least KYB AGX or koni SRT. The SRT at least has a lifetime warranty.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ebay Springs? It's like punching yourself in the face... I saw a car that bounced all over the road with those. I parked next to the guy and asked about his suspension, he said I could check it out. I go and push on his hood and made it bounce like a low rider and it squeeked! I'm only 125 lbs!!!

Right now I've got tein s-tech's on my 97 EK. They're nice but it's not as low as I want it.
They're dropped on Koni Yellows and I LOVE my shocks. I keep it on medium because you never know when there's a pothole in SoCal and hitting one will actually hurt.

I want some ground control coils so I can get the extra inch or so out.
If you love your honda, take the time to not ebay itttt.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Trial User

Can anyone give more feedback using H&R Springs? I have an 01 Civic 4 door DX and looking to lower it. I think 1.5" would make it look great. Additionally, with drop that isn't that low, can I live with just the stock struts?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And with ebay coilovers u can end up with this here.

but it just messes up the cover. u can just take it off
Old 05-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for price and comfort, a Sporty-shock/Lowering springs will be your best bet.

Full coils are nice, I've got ProC's... but few people need the features that a $1000+ set up will offer you, + the ride will be harsh compared to anything you've tried (even on full soft)

for about $450 you can pick a NEW set of lowering springs + sport shocks.
Such as S2 sport shock + S2/BLOX lowering spring.

that combo matches up great, will look good, and will ride great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ebay lowering springs... advice?