Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to tighten Harmonic Balancer bolt with out special tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to tighten Harmonic Balancer bolt with out special tools

I do have that option, but that would involve driving the car there. Wouldn't get to far with the bolt missing lol
Old 03-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotcha. Try the electric gun and maybe hit it again with air at a buddies house.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay cool, Thanks a bunch man. Should hold me over until I buy a B swap
Old 03-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
the extensions twist and don't give you the true torque as to what the wrench is saying, sometimes you have to use an extension, but use the shortest one you possibly can and figure a couple of extra foot pounds in for the extension
Laws of physics say the torque at the torque wrench end will equal the torque at the bolt head. Extensions make no difference.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by honda.lioness
Extensions make no difference.
They do, especially with a long extension. Especially if it's something that's being torqued to a high spec, the extension will tend to flex slightly.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
They do, especially with a long extension. Especially if it's something that's being torqued to a high spec, the extension will tend to flex slightly.
The extension does "flex" (in engineering jargon "deflect" a certain number of degrees). When freeing the typical crank pulley bolt with 1/2-inch drive extensions, deflection will be on the order of 30-90 degrees. But this deflection has no effect on the torque applied at the bolt head. It is the same principle as applying force at one end of a spring with the spring's other end attached to a wall. Yes the spring deflects. But the force at each end is the same in magnitude. Fifty pounds of force applied at one end will cause 50 pounds of force to the wall.

Else you are saying that it is possible to apply the teeniest amount of force to such a spring; the spring will deflect the teeniest amount; but there will be no force on the wall? In fact the force on the wall is (spring constant) x (deflection) which will also be the same as the force applied at the non-wall end. The principle is the same in torsion.

Last edited by honda.lioness; 03-20-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:39 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Laws of physics say the torque at the torque wrench end will equal the torque at the bolt head. Extensions make no difference.
the force used to twist the extensions uses up some of the energy that would be transferred to the bolt, the torque wrench says one thing, but the bolt sees another, you don't get anything for free, the energy that twists the extensions comes from somewhere, in this case it's coming from the force applied to the torque wrench, you are doing two kinds of work, one is tightening the bolt, the other is twisting the extensions, the energy that is causing the twist is subtracted from the energy turning the bolt
Old 03-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the force used to twist the extensions uses up some of the energy that would be transferred to the bolt, the torque wrench says one thing, but the bolt sees another, you don't get anything for free
Set an old suspension spring on a home scale. Note the weight of the spring. Now set yourself down on the spring, so it compresses some. Note the scale reading. It will read exactly your weight plus the weight of the spring. The deflection of the spring is irrelevant. This is despite the fact that the spring has stored energy as you sit on it. This stored energy equals the force (of your weight) acting through (multiplied by) a distance (the deflection of the spring).

Conservation of energy (really not relevant here but whatever) and sum of the forces equal zero (in an overwhelmingly statics situation such as applying torque slowly) both apply.

If you have not had at least a course in first year physics and done well in this course, it is probably not worth discussing in this venue. Torque wrench readings are a very poor measure of how "tight" a bolt is holding anyway. That is, measured torque correlates poorly to "bolt clamping strength." So you folks who think you need to apply extra torque because of this myth, have at it. OTOH, maybe all the buying-into of this myth (and so incorrectly applying extra torque) might explain all the broken crankshaft pulley bolts that are reported here. ;-)
Old 03-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by itsnotfast
Your showing him how to take it off not put it on. I know the same basic concept of what your showing him applies to tightening, but you need to also specify that he cannot use 2 feet of extensins when torquing weather it be with a torque wrench or with an impact gun. There is nothing wrong with using an impact gun on it.
I said it works for loosening or tightening.

Explain to me how using extensions will throw your torque off with a torque wrench and yet the impact gun is more precise?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rylan
I didn't find the key, but I installed a brand new key. That method would work for loosening the bolt, but I guess for tightening you would just reverse the flat bar so it will drive into the ground on the other side huh?
Yeah reverse the angle iron setup for tightening.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rylan
Yeah those breaker bars are a must have, I gotta pick one up.

Would it be safe to put some lock tight on the threads of the bolt?
I wouldn't because its hard enough to get these loose when they are torqued to spec and you might have to use heat on the bolt to get it loose with loctite and heat is not good for crankshafts/seals/belts/oil pumps/things that were once heat treated etc.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by itsnotfast
You're right 100% but the crank pulley bolt can be put on with a decent impact gun just fine without any issues and this has been stated by others including Honda/Acura technitians. There isn't any worry of having the crank pulley tightened evenly in a certain pattern. It's one bolt that requires a certain torque setting but can be done with an impact gun and tightened close enough to that torque without a torque wrench. Even if you used the above suggested method with angle iron you wont get an acurate torque reading. In order to properly torque the bolt to spec you need the proper crank pulley tool to secure the crank in one place without having any play or give in the metal holding the crank in place. That being said, the OP stated he doesn't have this tool so any attempt of acurately torquing this bolt would be a failure. His best bet would be to use an impact gun.
I'd borrow a torque wrench from autozone and do it right...
Old 03-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There might be a slight variation depending on the speed/intertia of the twisting (as to when your wrench clicks), but this would probably be less important than other factors like contamination or temperature.

I'd think if anything your torque would be slightly higher after all is said and done with the extensions' stored-twist catching up.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know, I use a torque wrench on every nut and bolt that is critical as far as cost and safety. Imact guns might be ok for loosening, especially if the part concerned is being replaced or removed and can be easily repaired if necessary. A crankshaft does not meet this definition for me unless the engine is undergoing a rebuild.

I even torque my lug nuts to the proper spec. Haven't had a warped rotor in forever.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The bolt is like $5 or something from Honda. Expensive for a bolt, but it's an important part.

If your flywheel has the hex shape, you can make a tool by using a piece of iron pipe, a T fitting and a reducer. I think it was a 1 1/2" reducer that the hex head is almost as big as the hex shape on the pulley. It's close enough that it works and won't round.

Remember that when you torque a fastener, it takes like 3x as much torque to loosen it. So don't go on it too hard.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the force used to twist the extensions uses up some of the energy that would be transferred to the bolt, the torque wrench says one thing, but the bolt sees another, you don't get anything for free, the energy that twists the extensions comes from somewhere, in this case it's coming from the force applied to the torque wrench, you are doing two kinds of work, one is tightening the bolt, the other is twisting the extensions, the energy that is causing the twist is subtracted from the energy turning the bolt
Maybe people have issues keeping the wrench perfectly straight with the fastener and the wrench is getting tilted, using up some effort.

I've had issues with my junky impact wrench where with a long extension it wouldn't knock bolts loose, but with a shorter one it's able to.

I think it's more the wrench having to move the extension and the fastener and that extra mass just takes more to move. A massless, perfectly rigid extension wouldn't have this issue. But in the real world, a heavy impact extension has an effect on how an impact wrench performs just because of it's weight.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
I've had issues with my junky impact wrench where with a long extension it wouldn't knock bolts loose, but with a shorter one it's able to.
That's true of any impact wrench, a lot of vibration is lost both in the extension itself and between the gun and extension and the extension and socket.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's just with better tools it's not as much an issue, but when every foot pound of torque counts...you notice.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:37 AM
longest project ever

Set an old suspension spring on a home scale. Note the weight of the spring. Now set yourself down on the spring, so it compresses some. Note the scale reading. It will read exactly your weight plus the weight of the spring. The deflection of the spring is irrelevant. This is despite the fact that the spring has stored energy as you sit on it. This stored energy equals the force (of your weight) acting through (multiplied by) a distance (the deflection of the spring).

Conservation of energy (really not relevant here but whatever) and sum of the forces equal zero (in an overwhelmingly statics situation such as applying torque slowly) both apply.

If you have not had at least a course in first year physics and done well in this course, it is probably not worth discussing in this venue. Torque wrench readings are a very poor measure of how "tight" a bolt is holding anyway. That is, measured torque correlates poorly to "bolt clamping strength." So you folks who think you need to apply extra torque because of this myth, have at it. OTOH, maybe all the buying-into of this myth (and so incorrectly applying extra torque) might explain all the broken crankshaft pulley bolts that are reported here. ;-)
you are talking about two different measurements here, torque is twisting force, some of the force is going to be converted into motion by the extensions twisting, if you've invented a material that can transmit force perfectly, with no loss or conversion, you are on the way to getting the next Nobel prize in physics. in simple terms, some of the energy is absorbed by the material, the longer the extensions the more energy is absorbed, technically it's not absorbed it's converted into other forms of energy, but there is a loss from one end to the other
Old 03-21-2011, 02:47 AM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by strategy400
I wouldn't because its hard enough to get these loose when they are torqued to spec and you might have to use heat on the bolt to get it loose with loctite and heat is not good for crankshafts/seals/belts/oil pumps/things that were once heat treated etc.
you might be able to get away with blue locktite, it doesn't require heat to break it loose. stay away from the red, you may never get that bolt out again if you use it.

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
The bolt is like $5 or something from Honda. Expensive for a bolt, but it's an important part.

If your flywheel has the hex shape, you can make a tool by using a piece of iron pipe, a T fitting and a reducer. I think it was a 1 1/2" reducer that the hex head is almost as big as the hex shape on the pulley. It's close enough that it works and won't round.

Remember that when you torque a fastener, it takes like 3x as much torque to loosen it. So don't go on it too hard.
yep, I would hope his engine is worth a five dollar bolt, I can't believe the number of people who just use it over, most bolts I do, but when it's something important, i'm not risking my engine to save five bucks, if that pulley flies off at high rpm it could be a disaster for the engine, I've seen people put 10-15 grand into a built motor, then put the 100000 mile stock head bolts back on, or other critical fasteners. WTF? might as well set fire to your money. personally i'm replacing nearly every bolt on my car, other then specific suspension or special engine bolts, with aircraft grade stainless bolts, but thats just me. one or two bolts at a time. I just have a thing for high torque socket head fasteners
Old 03-21-2011, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you are talking about two different measurements here
No.

Originally Posted by strategy400
I'd think if anything your torque would be slightly higher after all is said and done with the extensions' stored-twist catching up.
If torquing using a calibrated torque wrench is done with a rapid motion, then it is less likely the clicked torque is the desired applied torque. But a rapid motion when torquing is bad practice in the first place. It is easy to overshoot the click point etc. No to your comment on how the stored twist 'catches up' and may throw off torque compared to the clicked value (assuming torquing is done slowly).

Last edited by honda.lioness; 03-21-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dam i feel like im in school again props to u guys
anyways i just used an impact gun on mine lol
Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 PM
longest project ever

No.

Strategy400, yes in theory if torquing using a calibrated torque wrench is done with a rapid motion, then it is less likely the clicked torque is the desired applied torque. But a rapid motion when torquing is bad practice in the first place. It is easy to overshoot the click point etc. No to your comment on how the stored twist 'catches up' and may throw off torque compared to the clicked value (assuming torquing is done slowly).
it wasn't my comment on the stored twist
Old 03-27-2011, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No.

If torquing using a calibrated torque wrench is done with a rapid motion, then it is less likely the clicked torque is the desired applied torque. But a rapid motion when torquing is bad practice in the first place. It is easy to overshoot the click point etc. No to your comment on how the stored twist 'catches up' and may throw off torque compared to the clicked value (assuming torquing is done slowly).
My understanding is that you should use a slow steady motion when torquing.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got er done the right way, shes torqued on there now.

I had my car in to the shop to get bushings replaced, I got the mechanic to torque it for me.

Quick Reply: How to tighten Harmonic Balancer bolt with out special tools