Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

VTC Actuator Rattle - 2008 Accord L4

Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTC Actuator Rattle - 2008 Accord L4

I have the VTC Actuator Rattle - 2008 Accord L4 (Service Bulletin 09-010) problem. What damage can be caused if the problem is not fixed? I don't really want to take apart and reassemble a good engine to fix a problem that only occurs on cold start and for a split second. I might turn a minor problem into something worse. Would you replace the VCT actuator?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTC Actuator Rattle - 2008 Accord L4

so its covered under warranty but you dont want to fix it and at the same time your curious as to what all could go bad if left alone.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also have a 2008 Accord EX I4 with a bit of an actuator rattle. So what can happen if I do not replace the VTC actuator? My car isn't under warranty so I would either have to do it myself (yuk) or pay the local dealer (really yuk).
Old 03-27-2011, 06:21 AM
Trial User

This is covered by Honda as there is a Technical Service Bulletin on this. I just had this fixed on my 08 Accord. But it is still making the noise just not as loud.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a tsb only is telling you what the problem is honda knows theres a problem on a large amount of vehicles (or in some cases small) its not a recall, so normal warranty applies there is no extension on this so the normal warranty applies.

if its still making the noise after replacement it is the same noise? take it back to the dealer, also what oil are you using?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread from the OP.
43K miles and was using Mobil 1. Switched to Castrol Syntec at the last change and that seemed to help. It's not that bad but was wondering if the VTC actuator will beat itself to death or just continue to rattle now and then with no damage.
No warranty coverage for me. I brought the car with me when I moved from the U.S. to Germany. My choices are to live with the noise, replace the actuator myself or let the local Honda dealer have a go. Based on my experience with the Dealer and a TPMS issue, I'm not sure I'd want to go that route.
If I were to change the actuator myself, does the engine front cover really need to be removed or can I get enough slack in the chain by releasing tensioner and then removing the actuator? How long does it take the professional Honda Techs to R/R the actuator? I figure 3 to 4 times longer for an amateur on the first try.
Thx.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am a Honda tech at a dealer. it is possible to replace the actuator with out pulling the front cover. the bulletin tells you to zip tie the chain to the other cam. seen some problems when doing this with keeping the motor in time. just set the motor in time and keep tension on the chain with the cam out. bungee cord it to the hood. if the chain come off the crank then you will have to pull the front cover. if you have to pull the cover, your probably looking at a day or so. not horribly difficult if you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing. just really tedious. it takes a couple of hours to do it at the dealer. unless the front cover has to come off. If you have kept up on all your service and been a "loyal" Honda customer at the dealer it might be possible for you to get the part and labor "good-willed" by Honda. it only has 43k on it. they might hook you up dude.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats a lie, if the chain falls off the crank no you don't have to pull the front cover, there is nothing behind the front cover that the chain rides on other than the crank two guides and then both cam's. I have had many instances where the chain has come off the crank on this job from either my job or someone else at the shop, what you do to make your life easier take the tensioner all the way off don't listen to the tsb in that regard, then on putting it back together run the chain like a timing belt no slack on the non tensioned side and slack on the tensioned side, reinstall the tensioner and rotate motor over by hand check to see if its in time that you put the intake cam sproket back on right if you were careful and payed attention it is in time, slap the valve cover back on and the tensioner cover back on and your good to go.

I have done easily 50 of these and i don't adhere to the tsb at all for the replacement of it. the cover DOES NOT need to come off even if the chain falls off the crank...try it yourself if you don't believe me also this takes a little less than an hour to do.

honda's chain systems are quite simple its nothing like nissan/infiniti, mercedes, bmw, that have tons of crap behind the cover and you can't get around.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all of the info. No chance of Honda covering this under warranty. When I moved to Germany and brought this U.S. spec car with me, the warranty went kaput!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Trial User

Just got a call from my dealer. They tried it early this morning and this afternoon after waiting 6 hours. The VTC actuator still made the noise. They mechanic did not want to do it again. But they called Honda and Honda said the Technical Service Bulletin that they were told to follow was incorrect. The mechanic was furious with Honda changing how to do the repair in less than a week. T'hey ordered new parts and will try to repair it again.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The dealer should take care of it.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Trial User

My accord has been fixed by the dealer 2X already (I had to pay for valve adjustments both times). Now the rattle is back for the third time and the dealer is telling me that the timing chain is causing the problem this time. They said the repair is covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles, but they won't fix the rattle unless I pay for the timing chain to be done.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@ 99blacksi tried that a couple weeks back. Worked really nice. Didn't pull the tensioner, just took the tension off the chain. No zip ties or anything. Worked like a dream. set the motor in time, just yanked it apart put it back together in time. Gravy man
Old 10-14-2012, 04:19 AM
Trial User

I have the same problem, and the new part in hand. Is anyone aware of a DIY method for doing this the easy way???
Old 10-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i work at a honda dealer myself ive herd them so loud it sounds like rod knock but usually once they warm up there fine. id take it in a average tech should b able to do it in 30 mins. i would assume that if left alone it may rattle its self to pieces
Old 10-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Trial User

This one rattles when it's warmed up. Used to only do it in the winter.

Now... onto the DIY instructions??? :D
Old 10-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Trial User

Well, I did it. I wish I knew the right way to lossen the timing chain because I ended up re-timing the engine before it was all said and done.

I have about 5 hours into it, but all that's left now is to put the loose pieces back on and hope I did it right.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Trial User

I took 2008 Accord into the dealer and they're telling me it's not under warranty. I'm outside of the normal warranty (3yrs/36K) but still under the powertrain warranty. It seems to me like this repair should fall under the powertrain warranty, which specifically covers timing gears. Has anyone else had this experience?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not with the warranty, but did mine last month with help from the latest service bulletin and it wasn't too bad pulling the cam out, chain still on the crank. No rattle at first but now getting a very slight noise. I could tell by the actuator pin and relief area that they changed the design but I wish I would have replaced the chain tensioner while doing the job. Gonna do that soon, really too easy to NOT do it when you do the actuator, live and learn. My 08 has 95k on it so I should have done it just based on mileage but just didn't.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: VTC Actuator Rattle - 2008 Accord L4

I have a 2008 accord and having same problem, have 100k and no warranty, It looks like the 08 having similar issue, not sure worth it to change after reading the thread. does Honda have a recall on this??
Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Trial User

Hi

I am trying to replace my VTC in my 2008 accord. I am facing a real challenge how to unlock the brand new VTC gear ??? When I bouugh the new VTC gear its locked and I dont know how to unlock it....Does anyone know how to unlock the new VTC gear????.. Any help will be appreciable

Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by olics99
Hi

I am trying to replace my VTC in my 2008 accord. I am facing a real challenge how to unlock the brand new VTC gear ??? When I bouugh the new VTC gear its locked and I dont know how to unlock it....Does anyone know how to unlock the new VTC gear????.. Any help will be appreciable

Thanks
follow the TSB on how to do it.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Qfactor
follow the TSB on how to do it.
Hi

Thanks for your reply.I cant find the method to unlock it?...Can you please help me out?...I dont have air tool...Would I must requited the air tool to unlock the VTC gear before I install it in my car?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2012, 07:14 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by My_New_Honda
I am a Honda tech at a dealer. it is possible to replace the actuator with out pulling the front cover. the bulletin tells you to zip tie the chain to the other cam. seen some problems when doing this with keeping the motor in time. just set the motor in time and keep tension on the chain with the cam out. bungee cord it to the hood. if the chain come off the crank then you will have to pull the front cover. if you have to pull the cover, your probably looking at a day or so. not horribly difficult if you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing. just really tedious. it takes a couple of hours to do it at the dealer. unless the front cover has to come off. If you have kept up on all your service and been a "loyal" Honda customer at the dealer it might be possible for you to get the part and labor "good-willed" by Honda. it only has 43k on it. they might hook you up dude.

---------------------------------------------------------
Hi

I am trying to replace my VTC in my 2008 accord. I am facing a real challenge how to unlock the brand new VTC gear before install it on my cam ??? When I bouugh the new VTC gear its locked and I dont know how to unlock it....Does anyone know how to unlock the new VTC gear????.. Any help will be appreciable

Thanks
Old 12-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by olics99
---------------------------------------------------------
Hi

I am trying to replace my VTC in my 2008 accord. I am facing a real challenge how to unlock the brand new VTC gear before install it on my cam ??? When I bouugh the new VTC gear its locked and I dont know how to unlock it....Does anyone know how to unlock the new VTC gear????.. Any help will be appreciable

Thanks
you can open it, but you wiill need a special torx five point tampered. it's only a small cylinder that locks the gear on the newer VTC gears. remove three bolts keep gear facing up, turn around plate,the one bolt will hold the plate and internal mechanism from coming apart, get a magnet that will fit hole where pin is located at. pocket screw driver works best. turn gear clockwise to unlock. use hand tools only to remove and tighten up bolt that holds the gear to camshaft.

Name:  DSC06850_zps29f6ed94.jpg
Views: 22564
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  DSC06848_zpsc258adb5.jpg
Views: 14646
Size:  28.8 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VTC Actuator Rattle - 2008 Accord L4