Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
amej8
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default How often do you service the oil pump?

It didn't occur to me until yesterday that I probably should've looked at the oil pump while my friend and I were changing the timing belt over the weekend. How often are you supposed to service them, if ever? And by service I mean replacing the oil seal or any gaskets. I just passed 216k miles which is why I may have a concern for servicing it if it's something people do regularly. The car has been driven all year every year for the past 12 years.
amej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
grumblemarc
The Grumpiest
1996 Honda Civic

iTrader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to grumblemarc Send a message via Yahoo to grumblemarc Send a message via Skype™ to grumblemarc
Default Re: How often do you service the oil pump?

I don't think they can be serviced. They either work or they do not as far as I know. In your case it might have been a good idea to replace it AND the water pump while you had the T-belt off.
I wish more parents would beat their children, then maybe most of them wouldn't be total spoiled, self absorbed *********.
grumblemarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
honda.lioness
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by amej8 View Post
by service I mean replacing the oil seal or any gaskets.
I change the seal every timing belt change. It is part #15 in the drawing below. It is cheap enough to justify this. Plus around 100k miles or seven years seems about right for the reliable life of the seal.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
amej8
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblemarc View Post
I don't think they can be serviced. They either work or they do not as far as I know. In your case it might have been a good idea to replace it AND the water pump while you had the T-belt off.
I'm not sure if you actually read my post but I said "by service I mean replacing the oil seal and any gaskets". And the water pump did get replaced along with the camshaft seal (that was cracked causing leaks) and the timing belt tensioner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda.lioness View Post
I change the seal every timing belt change. It is part #15 in the drawing below. It is cheap enough to justify this. Plus around 100k miles or seven years seems about right for the reliable life of the seal.

Click the image to open in full size.
Damn... I really don't want to pull it off again JUST to replace the oil seal... I'll have to look into that when I get under my car again.

Is there any way to tell it's leaking without obviously taking the lower timing belt cover off? Should the oil be leaking into a particular spot? When we had everything apart, I didn't see any particular spots that were heavily covered in oil. Everything under the lower cover on my engine seemed pretty clean, nothing was covered in oil from what I can remember.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
honda.lioness
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by amej8 View Post
I'll have to look into that when I get under my car again. Is there any way to tell it's leaking without obviously taking the lower timing belt cover off? Should the oil be leaking into a particular spot? When we had everything apart, I didn't see any particular spots that were heavily covered in oil. Everything under the lower cover on my engine seemed pretty clean, nothing was covered in oil from what I can remember.
The lower TB cover has a little pocket in it that almost looks like it is designed to catch any oil leaking from the seal and then let the oil drip to the ground. If I saw oil on the ground beneath the lower TB cover and knew the seal had not been replaced in awhile, I would check to see that the seal looks like the most likely source of the leak, and then replace it.

No guarantees but like you're saying, I think monitoring the bottom region of the lower timing belt cover will be fine.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
MR.johnson
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

on beaters i run them till they stop working, on my built cars i replace them every time i rebuild a motor.
MR.johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
amej8
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda.lioness View Post
The lower TB cover has a little pocket in it that almost looks like it is designed to catch any oil leaking from the seal and then let the oil drip to the ground. If I saw oil on the ground beneath the lower TB cover and knew the seal had not been replaced in awhile, I would check to see that the seal looks like the most likely source of the leak, and then replace it.

No guarantees but like you're saying, I think monitoring the bottom region of the lower timing belt cover will be fine.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on that.

Thanks all.

submit to reddit

Tags
2005, 91, acura, change, changing, civic, element, honda, integra, oil, pump, replace, replaced, service, water