Go Back   Honda-Tech > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
Johnny.
Widow's Son
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Johnny.
Default Lost iPhone pwn3d in 6 minutes

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...x_minutes.html

http://www.sit.fraunhofer.de/en/Imag...m502-80443.pdf

Phone Attack Reveals Passwords in Six Minutes

Researchers in Germany say they've been able to reveal passwords stored in a locked iPhone in just six minutes and they did it without cracking the phone's...

By Martyn Williams

Feb 9, 2011 10:40 PM

Researchers in Germany say they've been able to reveal passwords stored in a locked iPhone in just six minutes and they did it without cracking the phone's passcode.
The attack, which requires possession of the phone, targets keychain, Apple's password management system. Passwords for networks and corporate information systems can be revealed if an iPhone or iPad is lost or stolen, said the researchers at the state-sponsored Fraunhofer Institute Secure Information Technology (Fraunhofer SIT).
It is based on existing exploits that provide access to large parts of the iOS file system even if a device is locked.
In a video that demonstrates the attack, the researchers first jailbreak the phone using existing software tools. They then install an SSH server on the iPhone that allows software to be run on the phone.
The third step is to copy a keychain access script to the phone. The script uses system functions already in the phone to access the keychain entries and, as a final step, outputs the account details it discovers to the attacker.
The attack works because the cryptographic key on current iOS devices is based on material available within the device and is independent of the passcode, the researchers said. This means attackers with access to the phone can create the key from the phone in their possession without having to hack the encrypted and secret passcode.
Using the attack, researchers were able to access and decrypt passwords in the keychain, but not passwords in other protection classes.
Among passwords that could be revealed were those for Google Mail as an MS Exchange account, other MS Exchange accounts, LDAP accounts, voicemail, VPN passwords, WiFi passwords and some App passwords. Researchers published a paper with full details of the attack's results.
"As soon as attackers are in the possession of an iPhone or iPad and have removed the device's SIM card, they can get a hold of e-mail passwords and access codes to corporate VPNs and WLANs as well," said the researchers in a statement. "Control of an e-mail account allows the attacker to acquire even more additional passwords: For many web services such as social networks the attacker only has to request a password reset."
The attack has particular significance for companies that allow employees to use iPhones on corporate networks, because it can reveal network access passwords.
"Owner's of a lost or stolen iOS device should therefore instantly initiate a change of all stored passwords," said Fraunhofer SIT. "Additionally, this should be also done for accounts not stored on the device but which might have equal or similar passwords, as an attacker might try out revealed passwords against the full list of known accounts."
Researchers at Fraunhofer SIT have previously revealed security problems with other operating systems. In late 2009 they published multiple attack scenarios criminals could use to access files protected by Microsoft's BitLocker disk-encryption technology. Last year the institute began selling a Java phone application for securely storing passwords.
Martyn Williams covers Japan and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is martyn_williams@idg.com
Comments or Statements made using this screen name are frequently made in jest. These statements do not represent the position of any organization or entity and should not be taken as factual commentary on any topic, to include the author.
Johnny. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
Just a n00b
Accident Prone
1997 Integra Type-R

Default Re: Lost iPhone pwn3d in 6 minutes

Cliffs?

And since I dont have time to read, what can we do to protect our iPhone stored passwords
1997 インテグラ タイプ−R #208/318
Just a n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
ActiveAero
Honda-Tech Member
2010 Tokyo Metro Tōzai Line

Send a message via AIM to ActiveAero

OMG stop the presses! I just found out that if you give a damn hacker physical access to your fvcking computer that they can do **** with it that you won't like! Definitely just an Apple flaw though, because we all know if you handed these same guys physical access to any other computing device that you own that everything would remain ultra safe and secure lol.
ActiveAero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
crawdad689
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to crawdad689

^^ Are you implying that other devices BESIDES APPLE'S can also be hacked?!?!!! I don't believe that for a goddamn second!!!

crawdad689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
njn63
Honda-Tech Member
1993 Mazda Miata

Inb4Androidowners
I would own your company within a year if I worked at it. Unlike you I actually understand how to run a budget without external injections of capital.
njn63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveAero View Post
OMG stop the presses! I just found out that if you give a damn hacker physical access to your fvcking computer that they can do **** with it that you won't like! Definitely just an Apple flaw though, because we all know if you handed these same guys physical access to any other computing device that you own that everything would remain ultra safe and secure lol.
Apple has a reputation of unhackable with those who aren't up on tech, IE:most of the general public. No one said that this is an apple only flaw, though perhaps you can point me to the article where other mobile os devices have similar flaw?
020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
96hb
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Solution: Don't lose your damn phone.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
Chubz
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Chubz

OMG, an actual device has been hacked in the hands of hackers...who knew
Old 02-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
TheMuffinMan
He knows where you live!
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveAero View Post
Quote:
It is based on existing exploits that provide access to large parts of the iOS file system even if a device is locked.
Essentially, the hacking of iOS and OSx has begun. I have said it all along with everyone else. Apple has not been targeted in the past because they were not popular devices. Now they are gaining market-share they are being targeted and exploits are being found. Apple themselves have gloated it and blamed other companies for any vulnerability (see Adobe).

Phones are one of those devices that people CAN easily get physical access too, don't act like its some crazy thing. Exploiters use every available resource to exploit, "physical access" is a resource.
I think TheMuffinMan is Chuck Norris. Seriously, you can't find the TheMuffinMan,TheMuffinMan finds you.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #10
skateboard_ej8
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (4)

They should implement a self destruct feature. I've said this before in another similar thread IIRC.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
-Gary-
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
Essentially, the hacking of iOS and OSx has begun. I have said it all along with everyone else. Apple has not been targeted in the past because they were not popular devices. Now they are gaining market-share they are being targeted and exploits are being found. Apple themselves have gloated it and blamed other companies for any vulnerability (see Adobe).

Phones are one of those devices that people CAN easily get physical access too, don't act like its some crazy thing. Exploiters use every available resource to exploit, "physical access" is a resource.
Muffin Man is like, 1000% right. By the way though, Blackberry hasn't YET. (to my knowledge)
-Gary- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
Tokyosmash!
Tickle-shits
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Tokyosmash!

In for **** storm.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
Chubz
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Chubz

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gary- View Post
Muffin Man is like, 1000% right. By the way though, Blackberry hasn't YET. (to my knowledge)

Blackberry is still king in the business world because of this. Security
Old 02-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #14
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:

bingo. The OS is now an attractive target, and imo a fair bit of the brand image is that they are unhackable/virus proof.
020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
Johnny.
Widow's Son
Garage is empty, add now

This is the scary part:

"Among passwords that could be revealed were those for Google Mail as an MS Exchange account, other MS Exchange accounts, LDAP accounts, voicemail, VPN passwords, WiFi passwords and some App passwords"

..which leads to more vulnerabilities.
Comments or Statements made using this screen name are frequently made in jest. These statements do not represent the position of any organization or entity and should not be taken as factual commentary on any topic, to include the author.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #16
junior40er
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to junior40er

There's apps that will allow you to erase phone data remotely if you lose your phone.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #17
singlecamslamed
Stage 3 CLINGER!
1994 Mazda MX-5

Apple. Lol. It's only a matter of time before they get hacked to ****. They're so high on their horse about "NO VIRUSES!!", that they spend zero time on security.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #18
MonkeyMagic
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyMagic

Quote:

this

they were only virus proof because it wasn't worth the effort to translate the software and design a virus that would only affect a small percentage of the population.

but what if some day millions of people had apple products...
MonkeyMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #19
Johnny.
Widow's Son
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior40er View Post
There's apps that will allow you to erase phone data remotely if you lose your phone.
You're not getting the tenor of the article: 6 minutes and it's done.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #20
singlecamslamed
Stage 3 CLINGER!
1994 Mazda MX-5

By the time you notice that you lost your phone, it'll be well past 6 minutes.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #21
skateboard_ej8
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslamed View Post
By the time you notice that you lost your phone, it'll be well past 6 minutes.
Unless somebody is targeting you, you probably have more time than that to erase the phone data remotely.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #22
Ash J. Williams
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun
2005 Acura MDX

Send a message via ICQ to Ash J. Williams Send a message via AIM to Ash J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by esco562 View Post
They should implement a self destruct feature. I've said this before in another similar thread IIRC.
you can remotely erase the content, if lost.
Ash J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #23
96hb
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Someone should design a case to prevent this.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #24
White95SiHB
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Common sense should be used when using a device that has a high chance of getting lost and/or stolen.

I removed my email account from my iPhone since I knew there's always a chance that should I lose my phone, whoever finds it will have access to my email. I see free apps that enable you to store passwords for your various accounts, but I never get those since I'm sure someone knowledgeable would figure out how to crack those apps. And lastly, I never leave personal pics or videos on my iPhone. Pretty much if someone stole or found my iPhone they'll only see pics my crap. For some reason I like to take pics of all my awesome ***** and send them to chicks if I want them off my jock or send them to friends when I know they're eating.
White95SiHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #25
George Knighton
Grandpa
2000 Acura Integra
My Garage

Send a message via AIM to George Knighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a n00b View Post
Cliffs?
Keep your iPhone in your pants when you're not using it.

Quote:
And since I dont have time to read, what can we do to protect our iPhone stored passwords
Do not use MS Exchange accounts. Use iMap instead. Exchange is notoriously insecure...this is the price we pay for letting Microsoft design and manage it.

Coordinate your information manually instead of relying on token_password routines that are easy to crack regardless of whether you are on iOS, Windows Mobile, Android or Blackberry.

All handsets are easy to crack. All of them. This is why the SELinux/iOS interface was designed for White House employees, but it requires some compromises that the typical user will not like.
2014 RLX Advance #6890 Forged Silver (current driver)
2010 TL 6-6 #988 SH-AWD Tech Palladium Metallic/Ebony (Sold)
2000 Integra Type R #110 K20A(*)
Sold.
George Knighton is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
4x, access, al, honda, iphone, keychain, locked, lost, min, minutes, mobile, motor, passwords, script, stored