Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Few questions about the 1st gen CRV

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions about the 1st gen CRV

Hey guys im thinking about picking up a first gen crv pretty soon. I just have a few questions about them first though. I come from a civic/integra backround so im pretty fimilar honda backround. I love the fact that these have a b20 because my last car was a gsr so i feel like i will be very comfortable having one of these crv's.

I will be for sure be getting a manual.
I understand there is the ex/lx. Can you guys tell me the differences an pros/cons about them. I think they are the same but from what i understand is the lx doesnt haver alloy wheels (no biggie to me) and also no abs brakes (does it even matter?)
ALSO i know i will get a 99-01 since they have the b20z which have like a bit more hp and tq so im gonna be aiming for those years.

Can you guys just give me a little info that i should know about these? Fill me in on some stuff. Also what i should look out for and stuff along those lines.
What mantaince should i make sure to get done?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Few questions about the 1st gen CRV

Also all 1st gen crv's are equiped with awd right? (real time awd)
Old 02-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are front drive only CR-Vs. I just recently bought an 01 EX RT4WD and I can't imagine this thing with any less hp. Its enough, but not much. Mine is also a 5sp, and once again I can't imagine how hard it would be to use the power in a 4sp auto. I've heard that the autos do a lot of downshifting at highway speeds just to keep up. No experience there but it makes sense. I have no problems and I picked mine up w/ 79k miles and payed 9800 at a dealer. So a little steep, but it's exactly what I was looking for, and looks like you are too.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man, an yes they do not have much power at all lol. if i pick one up i might throw on an intake or something just to free up a little extra restricted power. I just really want a nice reliable dd. An from my research i love the crv's. Im getting sick of the slammed car thing, especially in our winters.

Also is there a way to tell that it has RTawd? other then the sticker in the back window? lol
Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simplest way would be to look under the back end for the axles going out to the wheels.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jaker
Simplest way would be to look under the back end for the axles going out to the wheels.

The little bit of power you might get from an intake would sound cool, but I am trying to keep my motor as stock as possible, and I am having a hard time living with that, but I am trying.
I feel your pain on the lowered car thing. I had a lowered S2k and a slammed EF when I got mine and getting in it and feeling on top of the world made me appreciate and enjoy my lowered ride when I got back in it. But it's nice to be able to cruise around all high and comfy.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha yeha the modding bug suck... it sucks even or when our 18 and still in high school and have to save forever for the parts you want like me lol. That is why i only ever did suspension and wheels for my cars. But lately (especially after having the blizzard we just had and driving my dads truck around in 4wd compared to my sitty 2wd winter beater) made me realize that i pretty much want something bigger nad more practical. After i sold my gsr i bought a na miata that is being stored in my garage til spring when i had plans for it but now im thinking about selling it for a crv. decisions decisons....

Also i here about some problem with the valves on the crv? Someone want to fill me in on this. Also does anyone know what a rough estimate is on getting that taken care of at the local honda dealership? Also new timing belts... how much are new ones of those. Im taken a guess an gonna say pretty damn pricy having that done... All these answers id like to know before i purchase a crv.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The valve lash has a tendency to need adjustment. All you need to do it check it at regular intervals as specified. 30k I believe. The telltale sign is the motor sounds 'tappy' at idle and grows with engine speed. Nothing crazy. Here's something a lot of people don't know. Honda does free inspections on vehicles. When I sold my S2000 they did something like a 21 point inspection, which was free, and made the buyer very happy. So if you go to buy one from a private seller. Take it to the closest Service center and get it looked at. They go as far as pulling the brakes apart and measuring the components such as pads, rotors, and rear drum internals, and other things like tread depth, fluid levels and test drive. FOR FREE!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you serious?! Jesus that almost sounds to good to be true. ANy honda dealsership will do that? All you have to do is show up and ask for a free inspection?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats what I thought! It wasn't an entire dealership though it was just a Service Center. So i don't know if all dealers will do it.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha thanks mann. im gonna have to check into that.

thanks for all the help.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The 99-01 CRV has valve problems, but you shouldn't be discouraged from buying one. If the owner has maintained the vehicle well, especially if it has been maintained at a dealership. The vehicle will be up to par.
Also, the 99-01 CRV also added rear cup holders to the rear doors. A nice feature. On mine, I have a total of 6 cup holders. Not really needed, but when you do, it's there.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah thats the only think im worried about. I am only looking at spending around 5k on one so im sure at that price i wont be able to find one with the lowest mileage or anything like that. We'll see what happens. I just want a crv cause its a honda with a b series and awd. Best of both worlds! haha
Old 02-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, I own 4 Honda CR-Vs (2 manual 2 auto). My 1999 5-speed was bought as an abused child. I still drove it for 1 year with only changing plugs and wires. Last month the motor started stalling during idle (rpm's just randomly drop). Luckily, I was aware the the B20Z need valve adjustments more frequently.

So I brought it in to our shop and had my partner adjust the valves (max 1 hour job). Just buy a valve cover gasket to be used after the adjustments. They exhaust valves need to be adjusted to the LOOSE SIDE of the spec.

After this, my CR-V has been running MINT! You shouldn't be afraid of 1999-2001 years, as long as you do the valve adjustments BEFORE it's too late. Too late being the exhaust valves have been burnt! Thus, requiring a new head...

Tell tale signs are, as mentioned, random stalling. It's better to do a valve adjustment once you make your purchase. Should only cost 1 hour labour + valve cover gasket.

Have a good one!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man! Im definitly not affraid either! I really want one now and if i get one i plan to do that maintance right away anyway so i think im gonna put my car for sale and hopefully all goes well and i can get my hands on a crv!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, regarding the AWD system. In Canada all 1st Gen CR-Vs came AWD. If you are getting one, MAKE SURE you change the differential fluid. It requires Honda's Dual Pump 2 fluid. If you don't change this every 30000K you will start to hear a whining sound from the rear. But once you change this fluid (1 hour labour) bottle cost $10 you will need 1 bottle plus a bit from a second bottle. The sound will be gone.

Cheers

Last edited by ALPHA MOVEMENT; 02-13-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where do you get the bottle? Honda dealership?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, ONLY the Honda dealership sells this fluid (Honda dual pump 2 fluid). DO NOT use anything else, as you can damage your differential.

If you think you really will miss your integra, guess what? You can put integra front seats in the CR-V. All you need to do is keep the CR-V seat rails and base.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Was just going to add that all 5 speed CR-Vs are 4wd. The 2wds were only available with an automatic. As long as you keep up on the valve adjustments (which you can do yourself in your driveway with basic hand tools) you shouldn't have any issues with burnt valves.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you guys for the help!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In the U.S. ALL 1997-2001 EX models are RT-AWD. The LX models had AWD as an option. If you buy an EX it's guaranteed to be AWD, LX's are hit or miss.

We bought my wife a 99 EX slush box last April and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I did a valve adjustment and full tune up immediately after buying it. Runs great and has adequate power, hunts for 3rd going up hills on the interstate but it can really DIG in taking off from a stop light. They are great vehicles, I'm getting ready to lower ours a little bit (1.4" front, 0.8" back) to give it a slightly sporty ride while still maintaining light off-road capability.

Good luck hunting!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 19dabeast85
In the U.S. ALL 1997-2001 EX models are RT-AWD. The LX models had AWD as an option. If you buy an EX it's guaranteed to be AWD, LX's are hit or miss.

We bought my wife a 99 EX slush box last April and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I did a valve adjustment and full tune up immediately after buying it. Runs great and has adequate power, hunts for 3rd going up hills on the interstate but it can really DIG in taking off from a stop light. They are great vehicles, I'm getting ready to lower ours a little bit (1.4" front, 0.8" back) to give it a slightly sporty ride while still maintaining light off-road capability.

Good luck hunting!
Damn, that sucks to hear about the hit or miss thing about the lx's, i would only get one with AWD. I wish there was an easy way to tell just from looking at pictures online. Thats where i do most of my car shopping so i kinda only have pictures to look at until i get there. So far i have been just looking for the real-time awd sticker at the bottem of the back window lol..
Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When i was looking i mostly saw 4w/All wheel drive CRVs. hard part was finding a 5spd. I bought mine from a lawyer and his wife. all stock other than a cd player.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it possible to use a tranny other than the AWD 5-speed that comes stock on the 99ex 4wd CRV?

Now Obviously I know you cant utilize the 4wd system with any other tranny, but say you really need car back on road, could you use any other hydro B-series tranny and convert car to just FWD?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

some good information in this thread
keep it going guys
now I know I need to have the valves done, and I was already planning on getting the diff/trans flushed

Quick Reply: Few questions about the 1st gen CRV