Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

defective steering rack or Power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Default defective steering rack or Power steering pump?

Hello all,
1999 Honda Accord EX 4 cycl, automatic.

I replaced my power steering rack a short time ago, and I had an issue pop up since then. When you first start the car in the morning, you cannot easily turn the steering wheel from a dead standstill, you can hear the power steering "complaining" or whining a bit and sounds somewhat like when a power steering pump is low on fluid. However, if you start rolling forward, maybe ten feet or so, then turn it goes without complaint. And once you have started driving you don't notice any issues. Checking underneath shows no leaks, the power steering pump is not leaking, the fluid level is staying the same. At first I thought perhaps I not sufficiently filled the rack correctly, so I went back and made sure to move the steering wheel from end to end again and check the levels. No bubbles or other items, it's definitely full. It didn't behave this way with the original rack. So my questions is: can the rack be defective in some way, not circulating correctly? Or is it more likely the power steering pump just happened to weak, it just wasn'working that hard with the original because it's been leaking so it didn't need the pressure it now needs to move a good rack?

I'm leaning towards a power steering pump replacement, and I've seen somewhere you can pressure test it...has anyone done that before? How is it done?

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: defective steering rack or Power steering pump?

Originally Posted by 99stockcivic
Hello all,
1999 Honda Accord EX 4 cycl, automatic.

I replaced my power steering rack a short time ago, and I had an issue pop up since then. When you first start the car in the morning, you cannot easily turn the steering wheel from a dead standstill, you can hear the power steering "complaining" or whining a bit and sounds somewhat like when a power steering pump is low on fluid. However, if you start rolling forward, maybe ten feet or so, then turn it goes without complaint. And once you have started driving you don't notice any issues. Checking underneath shows no leaks, the power steering pump is not leaking, the fluid level is staying the same. At first I thought perhaps I not sufficiently filled the rack correctly, so I went back and made sure to move the steering wheel from end to end again and check the levels. No bubbles or other items, it's definitely full. It didn't behave this way with the original rack. So my questions is: can the rack be defective in some way, not circulating correctly? Or is it more likely the power steering pump just happened to weak, it just wasn'working that hard with the original because it's been leaking so it didn't need the pressure it now needs to move a good rack?

I'm leaning towards a power steering pump replacement, and I've seen somewhere you can pressure test it...has anyone done that before? How is it done?

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They do sell power steering pressure test kits.
i have looked in my repair manual (96-00 accord) nothing on testing the pressure.
For bleeding simple as turning lock to lock engine running.
I would look for binding or a bad belt.
jack up the front and try and push the wheels with the column unlocked. Mine is pretty easy. At the same time look for contact points in the tie rods?? (Most likely not)
you may be right by going with the pump. New rack and old pump may. not have the pressure needed.
Hope it helps
Old 12-24-2020, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

Yes, I think the pump is the easy thing to replace overall. as you said, bleeding it was quite simple, lock to lock, drive around, lock to lock, fluid is steady now and has been for a bit. Also, as you suggested, I brought the car up, took the wheels off and with on, and turned lock to lock to check if there was binding, but this occurs right at startup, doesn't seem to matter the placement of the steering wheel when started, always does this oddness. I've sat under it while someone turned lock to lock while running, and still see no contact anywhere. I suppose the belt could be loose a hair, but why only on startup. Very odd.

Well, holidays are here so easy to swap and see what happens. Thanks for the thoughts.