Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - Current)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 01-13-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
MrsR
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Squealing noise

I am trying to see if anyone knows what is going on with my car. I have a 2004 Honda Accord and just recently, I started hearing this light squealing noise coming from my engine area. It sounds very loud from inside the car, but I canít really hear it standing outside the car. It only comes when I am idling, as soon as I press the gas, it stops. It does not seem to be causing any problems to the way my car drives, the sound is just really annoying and I would like to know what it is so I can get it fixed. I already had the main belt replaced, and that did not help at all. Does anyone else have this problem?
MrsR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
andyz
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Squealing noise

Still sounds like a belt problem. Use a little belt dressing or adjust the belt tension. Sometimes a glazed belt refuses to settle down. New belt.

check:
alternator belt
power steering belt
air conditioning belt
andyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
redbull-1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsR View Post
I am trying to see if anyone knows what is going on with my car. I have a 2004 Honda Accord and just recently, I started hearing this light squealing noise coming from my engine area. It sounds very loud from inside the car, but I can’t really hear it standing outside the car. It only comes when I am idling, as soon as I press the gas, it stops. It does not seem to be causing any problems to the way my car drives, the sound is just really annoying and I would like to know what it is so I can get it fixed. I already had the main belt replaced, and that did not help at all. Does anyone else have this problem?
1. Was the replacement belt a Honda OEM or aftermaket?

2. If the noise is coming from the belt area, it may be the belt if your are not using Honda OEM or a quality aftermarket belt. Or my guess would be the auto-tensioner. The attach image is the auto-tensioner for a 4 cylinder (for the 6 cylinder, slightly different part). It may just be the idler pulley (#5) needing replacement or the whole tensioner assembly (#5). The whole assembly isn't that much more than just the idler pulley.

Btw: Is this a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyz View Post
Still sounds like a belt problem. Use a little belt dressing or adjust the belt tension. Sometimes a glazed belt refuses to settle down. New belt.

check:
alternator belt
power steering belt
air conditioning belt
The 7th and 8th gen Accords use a single drive belt for A/C compressor, alternator, power steering pump, and water pump.

Generally, it is best to avoid belt dressing. It'll quiet the squeal for a day or two by making the rubber gummier. The squeal will come back and there still will be gummy belt dressing on parts of the engine.
Attached Images

redbull-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
h2bek
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyz View Post

check:
alternator belt
power steering belt
air conditioning belt
x2
Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Phosho
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Still learning as a noob, but I read that accords have noise canceling projectors that should cancel out the noise. If it is a loud squealing noise, it may not be the problem but could be. Feel free to correct me cause i maybe wrong.
Phosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
redbull-1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosho View Post
Still learning as a noob, but I read that accords have noise canceling projectors that should cancel out the noise. If it is a loud squealing noise, it may not be the problem but could be. Feel free to correct me cause i maybe wrong.
Only 7th generation Accord Hybrids had Active Noise Control (ANC), later the 8th generation Accords (2008 - 2011) incorporated Active Noise Control (ANC), you can read about it in these two links:

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...=2004091736965

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=4107

As it states, "ANC significantly reduces certain low-frequency sounds in the interior. "
Old 01-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
Phosho
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Yea i thought i read something along those lines. Sorry for the misinfo and thanks for the correction.
Phosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
mastermeat
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

I had the same problem when it was cold. You don't think you here it when you drive but it's there. There is a technical bulletin about replacing a smaller o-washer on the power steering pump that gets dried out and allows air to escape hence the "squeal". The Tech said the o-washer usually fixes the problem 99% of the time. I thought there was a sticky on this somewhere.
I had the dealer fix it and they took 20 mins and charged me $32. The part was $1.35...
mastermeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
redbull-1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermeat View Post
I had the same problem when it was cold. You don't think you here it when you drive but it's there. There is a technical bulletin about replacing a smaller o-washer on the power steering pump that gets dried out and allows air to escape hence the "squeal". The Tech said the o-washer usually fixes the problem 99% of the time. I thought there was a sticky on this somewhere.
I had the dealer fix it and they took 20 mins and charged me $32. The part was $1.35...
The TSB is for the power steering "moans or whines" when the engine is cold. The noise usually goes away when the engine warms up.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ac...63906_moan.pdf

The OP states the "squeal" is when idling and stops when the gas is pressed, so it may be a different problem.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
Donalds
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

Is there any difference in the belt of model 2004 and 2005 ??
I want to change the belt but the one i purchased is not properly fitting .
Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
cvega8233
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

I have the same problem. The wining noise usually only happens on a cold start. I have figured out that it is coming from the powerstering motor, so it is probably a belt problem.
cvega8233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
BLKFLSH
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvega8233 View Post
I have the same problem. The wining noise usually only happens on a cold start. I have figured out that it is coming from the powerstering motor, so it is probably a belt problem.
Click on this link. It sounds like your problem.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ac...63906_moan.pdf
Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
Kev2010
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Yeah you should change you're belt.
Kev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
whtguy1678
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

I have the same issue on my '03 Accord LX 4cyl. It's not a belt noise, no question. I thought the power steering pump might going out at first, but there is no noise at all when steering and I have never heard any typical whinig noises from the pump or on start up. It is most definitely the idler pulley (IMO). The noise I hear is a very soft, but very high pitched sound of rubbing metal. It's as if the pulley is slightly misaligned and is rubbing. If I look closely at the pulley on my car, I can see the belt move from side to side. It is hardly noticeable, unless you know what to look for. I would start with replacing the idler pulley or auto-tensioner assembly and see where that gets you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull-1 View Post
1. Was the replacement belt a Honda OEM or aftermaket?

2. If the noise is coming from the belt area, it may be the belt if your are not using Honda OEM or a quality aftermarket belt. Or my guess would be the auto-tensioner. The attach image is the auto-tensioner for a 4 cylinder (for the 6 cylinder, slightly different part). It may just be the idler pulley (#5) needing replacement or the whole tensioner assembly (#5). The whole assembly isn't that much more than just the idler pulley.

Btw: Is this a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?

The 7th and 8th gen Accords use a single drive belt for A/C compressor, alternator, power steering pump, and water pump.

Generally, it is best to avoid belt dressing. It'll quiet the squeal for a day or two by making the rubber gummier. The squeal will come back and there still will be gummy belt dressing on parts of the engine.
whtguy1678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
accordlife92
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

Please help me ! 1999 accord coupe v6 squealing noise i just changed my upper radiator hoes 10 secs after it started . if anybody has any clue comment here's the video of my actual car making the noise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDZdR...ature=youtu.be thanks !
accordlife92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
956api
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

When i turn on my 90 accord it skeaks new belt by the way an even louder when i turn on my a/c how can i stop the noise help
956api is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #17
Lost Again
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 956api View Post
When i turn on my 90 accord it skeaks new belt by the way an even louder when i turn on my a/c how can i stop the noise help
First, you might want to post in the correct section.....

Tighten the belt(s).

I can explian it to you, I CANNOT understand it for you
Lost Again is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
2004, 7th, 97, accord, air, belt, civic, cold, conditioner, generation, glazed, honda, loud, noise, replacement, squealing, taurus, tensioner