Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Car Wont Start After Sitting for a Few Days

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Wont Start After Sitting for a Few Days

My car has a JDM B18C stock motor and im running Hondata S300 with a stock JDM map. Mods are just a SRI and exhaust. The car ran great for over a year and drove it with no problems. Never had problems before until now. Its been sitting in the drive way 3 days before Christmas and now it wont start.

It cranks strong but it just keeps on turning and turning. It has fuel, spark, air, and compression. Theres no signs of combustion just the smell of gas. The The swap has been in there over a year now.

I checked:
Timing Belt- Good ( All lines match up, crank and cams)
Fuel pump - Good (hear it priming)
Fuel Pressure - Good (48psi)
Fuel injectors - Good ( All spraying, clicking)
Distributer - Good (ohms in spec, rotor & cap 2 months old)
Sparkplugs - Good ( good blueish white spark/replaced)
Sparkplug Wires - Good ( All below 25kohm)
Compression - Good (200/195/200/210) Seems usually low for a 10.6 CR - but should still start
Main relay - Good ( Did Helms Diagnosis, all of it clicks )
Ground - Good (I Have over 6 ground wires going to the motor and shell)
ECU - Good ( swapped it out wit two different S300)

When i open up the spark plugs, it comes out wet with gas. The cylinders arent flooded. I put it in a heated garage and warmed up the car incase it was temp related but it didnt help. I live in IL where its cold. Sprayed starter fuild in it and still no any sign of detonation.

Im stumped now and its frustrating!
Its so strange, its just been sitting in the driveway and it drove prefectly the last time.

What could go wrong with a car sitting in the cold?

Any ideas would be helpful?
Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 PM
rel
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Wont Start After Sitting for a Few Days

spark some starting fluid in it if it hits u know u got fire inside, if know fire look into the distributor i had that same problem i did my ls swap it started for the first time then when i cut it off and came back the next day nothing i changed everything and nothing rechecked timing like 10 time change fuses and everything and found out that a brand new distributor craped out on me i would check the ecu fuse and see if theres any check engine lights to start
Old 12-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Triple check timing. Alot of these no starts despite having everything u need to start alwayz end up coming down to timing..
Old 12-31-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what year?
check the code(s)
could be the ckp sensor. that would set a code. so would many other things. check the codes
Old 12-31-2010, 03:22 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto the above^^^, you need to check for codes.

What is MM&Y of car the JDM B18C engine is in?

Have you checked to see if there is power to the distributor assembly, [black/yellow lead most Honda/Acura].

Recheck the coil and the ICM. 94
Old 12-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its in a 2000 Teg GSR. S300 used to bypass the green key. No CEL lights. All fuses are good, F-I, and fuel pump, etc.

I pulled the timing belt cover and the lines on the crank matches to the lines on the cam on TDC on cylinder 1. So i know thats good. No slack play on the belt.

I diagnosis the ICM and ignitor tested on the Helms manual and the ohms it was in spec. No moisture either.

I thought it was timing related but i checked those and my other two friends did too. All prefect. I have air+fuel+spark+compression and still no sign of detonation.

Swapped ECUs and its not helping.

Its so strange having a car sit in the cold for 3 days and not even choking or any sign of anything burning. What could it be?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JDM B18C has no crank sensor. No codes coming up. All sensors are working because everything is showing values on the S300 when i hook up the laptop to the ECU. Throttle, map, etc

I double checked the firing orders and its all in sync: 1>3>4>2, on the cap and wires.

I tried giving it gas but it wont help. Not even the slightest sign of fire. Its so strange just letting it sit and not starting.

I tried a heated garage and still no go.

Wouldnt you think if Gas+spark+air+compression, it should start? At least some kind of detonation or smoke. I tripled check the timing by pulling the crank and looking at the markings with the cams and they are all good.

Gas is premium an burns when i put a lighter to the wet plug.

Its so strange just letting it sit in the cold and not starting.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:23 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry, I had to reread the first post to see you said you have spark, obviously there is power to the distributor assembly.

How good is the spark, how far will it jump, can you hear it?

You said your fuel is good, "Gas is premium an burns when i put a lighter to the wet plug" diesel, kerosene and a number of other liquids will burn if a lighter is put to it.

If you have good spark and compression and "gas" the timing could be off and you would still get backfires, even a couple of spark plug leads switched, there would be combustion.

With "everything working" it only leaves the fuel, no chance some ******** messed with your fuel maybe?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

checked injector pulse?
and are you sure the spark was consistent and not random? though as stated, even if it were, you'd probably still get a puff or something at least.
any sign of chewed wires anywhere? or any chewed rubber? any evidence of rodents? rats/mice love hiding out in engine bays during the winter months and the sheathing on the wires is a treat for them when food's scarce
Old 12-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your kill switch LOL bumped its been days.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spark is consistent. Injector pulse is fine i assume cuz i swap that out too with two different factory fuel rails.

No kill switch, the only kill switch is the starter kill but its no on because the starter is cranking.

Im starting to think its the fuel too cuz i have everything that a motor needs to run except combustion.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

weak coil maybe?
you checked all your grounds, yes?
Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 AM
rel
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by snake208
Spark is consistent. Injector pulse is fine i assume cuz i swap that out too with two different factory fuel rails.

No kill switch, the only kill switch is the starter kill but its no on because the starter is cranking.

Im starting to think its the fuel too cuz i have everything that a motor needs to run except combustion.
u try that starter fluid yet? i would see if it hits
Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^he tried it. it's in his first post
Old 01-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the ignitor coil was bad, wouldn't the ohms be outta spec? Because ive tried the helms diagnosis procedure on it and its all in range.

Starter fluid doesn't even detonate either. Ive got good spark becasues its a blueish white bright spark and i even swapped them out.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ye, it would be.
****, i'm scratching my head now. starting to think maybe there is an issue with the fuel in there. how much is in the tank? i mean, you have adequate fuel pressure, compression, spark. even if it were timing related, you'd still be getting something. you've swapped out the ecm, rail and injectors.
you try another main relay yet? because one of the circuits goes from the relay to the ecm to the injectors. if there's a break in that circuit you'd still get the 3 "clicks", and have pressure at the rail.
try actually using a 194 bulb and checking for injector pulse
Old 01-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How are you checking for spark? If your grounding the spark plug electrode to the valve cover and getting spark, it still may not be getting spark under compression inside of the combustion chamber. Didn't you say you have a bumped-up C/R? However, if you're using an inline spark tester, and leaving the plugs installed when you're checking for spark, this is not a concern.

I'd pull the spark plugs and check the gap. Maybe even tighten them up 0.2-0.3mm and see if that makes a difference.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to swap the spark plugs too. I had a bad dizzy and put on a new one. It fouled the plugs when I was cranking it. I pulled the injector wires off and cranked with the new plugs. It fired up then put the injector wires on and it was fine. I AM NOT saying this is the original problem but with the plugs being that wet it will be hard to start
Old 01-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used an inline tester on the spark plug and it flashes. Double checked the gap on the old and new plugs and its .041, oem spec say it should be between .039 -.044

The C/R is 10.6 because its a JDM GSR motor.

Okay, i just drain the tank and put 2gallons of new 93 octane in. Still no sign of combustion. It just keeps on turning and turning.

I did notice a weird noise coming from the intake thought after trying to crank and leaving the ignition on. Theres a weird humming noise coming from the intake. If i cover the intake with my hand, the noise muffles.

When i turn off the ignition and turn it back on the humming goes away. Sounds like an electrical problem. Any idea on what it is?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe something to do with the ckp bypass?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bet its the tdc sensor, top dead center sensor on the dizzy. entire dizzy needs replacing due to cannot change the tdc sensor).

this sensor throws ur timing off and starting time
Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

!bump! for updates

Very interesting/weird problem. All I know has been stated here so I'm curiouse whats the deal.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt bypass the crank cuz the s300 took care of that.

If my TDC sensor was bad, wouldnt my CEL come on or throw any codes?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes. yes it would
i guess you can't try it without the s300, eh? what with the absence of the ckp and all. so how exactly does the s300 take care of the ckp? where does the ecm get ckp signal from?
hmmm. something missing here. usually, if you don't get anything with a blast of quick start, it tells you it's not fuel related. that leaves ignition and compression. compression is adequate. that leaves ignition. gotta be ignition/timing related. again though, that kinda doesn't jive either. even if timing were way out or all over the place, you'd still get a puff at least. i know you said it's not flooding, but if something caused timing to be thrown way out, it should flood and you probably wouldn't get anything

Last edited by el crapitan; 01-01-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

At this point I would start from the beginning. This kar is supposed to start and its not. There are no further explanations so if I was in ur position I would honestly start from scratch. Start checking everything over again starting from the most trivial things..

Quick Reply: Car Wont Start After Sitting for a Few Days