Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

93 honda accord front end problems

Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 honda accord front end problems

I took my 93 Accord in because it has been making noises, and there are a variety of problems with the front end.

First, the mechanic told me the rotors are slightly warped, and since the hub bearings are original he said he'd have to replace both the hubs and rotors (hub is all rusted up). I have noticed some vibrating when breaking sometimes, but it doesn't seem to be too bad, and it doesn't always happen.

The front spring on the driver's side has snapped. He said I should replace the entire strut on both sides.

He showed me that there was some play in the control arm, and has both front upper control arms with ball joints as well as the sway bar link/kit and outer tie rod end in the quote.

The total cost of all this comes to be more than what the car is worth. The car seems to be running pretty good, so I was wondering what things I could do (maybe myself) to just keep the car safe. Is it unsafe to drive with the broken spring? Could I just replace the single broken spring rather than both struts? Could I replace the bushings in the control arm rather than the whole arm and ball joint? Can I get away with just leaving the rotors? The brake pads look fine.

I just want this car to be safe on the road for the next year or two, so things like irregular wear on the tires are not really a concern to me. I just need this thing running while I save up for a new car. How hard would it be to do some of this work myself? I don't have much experience but have a friend that does who can help me.

Thank you for the assistance.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 93 honda accord front end problems

I'd at least replace the whole strut assy with a used one. Don't even bother looking for another spring just find another whole used assy.

Replace all the ball joints should be $45 for just the lowers

Sway bar endlinks are about $10 a side.

Tie rod ends should not be any more than $50 plus an alignment so figure another $60.