Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

koni str.t shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default koni str.t shocks *new pics*

I am thinking about getting these shocks pretty soon. I've heard someone say that these are shortenend shock bodies. Can someone who has these shocks verify this. Cant seem to find any information on this when I searched. Also will the stock metal dust boots fit fine? Thanks..

Last edited by '00DC2; 12-17-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added content
Old 12-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: koni str.t shocks

Originally Posted by '00DC2
I am thinking about getting these shocks pretty soon. I've heard someone say that these are shortenend shock bodies. Can someone who has these shocks verify this. Cant seem to find any information on this when I searched. Also will the stock metal dust boots fit fine? Thanks..
no idea exactly. if they are shorter it's by so little it doesn't matter

boots are also something that doesn't matter, if they fit cool but the shocks are designed to function without em and have a lifetime warranty

best bang for your buck at $300

no other shock at that price point can rival them
Old 12-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool man, thanks for the input. i was just worried it might have a shortenend shock body, cause i had skank2 sport shocks before and they lowered the front more than with my oem shocks because it was shorter, not to mention the ride was horrible. the str.t's sound good, plus the lifetime warranty kicks @ss too.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had these shocks for over almost two years with stock springs and the ride is just like stock. Over 25k miles on them. Fits like OEM so stock dustboots will fit. Like what idrivesideways said, best bang for the buck.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, gonna order them today.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool man, thanks for the input. i was just worried it might have a shortenend shock body, cause i had skank2 sport shocks before and they lowered the front more than with my oem shocks because it was shorter, not to mention the ride was horrible. the str.t's sound good, plus the lifetime warranty kicks @ss too.

ok i have the skunk2 sport shocks on my dc with h&r race springs and they sat alot higher than when i had my oem stock shocks with the h&r race springs and they were not blown...would cutting the skunk2 bumpstop in half make a difference in the height?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

that's odd, wonder if you got everything installed correctly and seated correctly on the Skunk2 shocks.

Cutting bump stops won't affect ride height, unless you're riding on the bump stops now - in which case your springs aren't doing anything at all.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 770_dc2
ok i have the skunk2 sport shocks on my dc with h&r race springs and they sat alot higher than when i had my oem stock shocks with the h&r race springs and they were not blown...would cutting the skunk2 bumpstop in half make a difference in the height?
yeah that's weird, cause i know for a fact that the skunk2 shocks have a shortened body. you sure your shock's are skunk2?
Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

probably the wrong spring for your model. the hr race for your car would be lower if it isn't that they are in backwards..car tilted at all?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:50 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by idrivesideways
probably the wrong spring for your model. the hr race for your car would be lower if it isn't that they are in backwards..car tilted at all?
Indeed. H&R race should look very low. Probably 1 or no finger gap in the front, and 1-2 fingers in the back.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

success!!
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

success!!
cool, please post pics of them laying on the floor next to your OEM shocks (w/o springs on them preferably) so we can see for sure if they are the same height as stock or shortened.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:27 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
cool, please post pics of them laying on the floor next to your OEM shocks (w/o springs on them preferably) so we can see for sure if they are the same height as stock or shortened.
Isn't the Koni yellow a full body shock? I always thought so. I would assume the SRT would be also. but I'm excited to see.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, Koni Sport shocks are the same body height as stock.

However the OP posted that he had "heard" somewhere that the STR.T's are shorter. I doubt it, but would like to see a pic just to be sure, and also so that others don't possibly get the wrong idea.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the koni yellow is full body i believe the sp3 is 20mm shorter heres is wek sos info i plan on goin with their koni yellow gc combo

KONI SPORT SP3 (20mm SHORTER) 96-00 CIVIC #18117

Adjustable in seconds with just the turn of a ****. The SP3 shocks also feature an adjustable spring perch to level the car (5 machined grooves on the shock body for 5 positions of adjustment) - the most desirable handling position, as well as, a 20mm shorter droop length for use with lowering springs.

Don't be fooled by companies that offer the same part number with the "Sport"not "SP3" moniker. Koni "Sport" do not offer as much ride height adjustment 3 grooves vs. 5 grooves and use a standard length piston rod.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, the SP3's have an internal droop limiter on the piston, and that's it. The SP3 bodies are still the same height as regular OTS Sports and OEM shocks. It really does jack squat as far as suspension travel is concerned. You gain zero compression travel with them. Shortened-body shocks DO offer increased compression travel.

Koni Sport SP3 shocks are absolutely pointless to use with GC's. They're valved the same as OTS Sports, and you're using the GC adjustable spring perch so the SP3 perch adjustments don't make any difference there either.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would if i could, but i misplaced my oem shocks. im thinking about going to a junk yard to see if they have some oem's to compare the two.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, Koni Sport shocks are the same body height as stock.

However the OP posted that he had "heard" somewhere that the STR.T's are shorter. I doubt it, but would like to see a pic just to be sure, and also so that others don't possibly get the wrong idea.
here's where i heard about the shortened shocks.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/h-r-sports-koni-srt-t-pics-review-my-96-gsr-2500500/

...and here's a direct quote: "The STR.T front strut bodies are also noticeably shorter than stock....about an inch to allow for more suspension travel."

in the picture's the front of his car looks a lot lower than the rear so maybe it's true, also PatrickGSR94 you were the first to respond. lol
Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay went to the local junkyard today to compare the two. the results are in... looks like the str.t's are the same height as stock. what do you guys think? now lets see if the stock dust boot's will fit over that black cap. =/
Attached Images   
Old 12-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's been like a year since i installed these for a friend of mine. i think, think mind you the black cap is designed to be used with no dust boot, if you use boots you don't need them. also found rancho 4x4 boots work well
Old 12-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool, thanks for the heads up bro. i guess if the stock one's don't fit i'll just run 'em w/o the boots. hopefully it wont degrade the shock's any faster than with the boots on. i mean the manufacturer put them on there for a reason. oh well, let's see whats about to happen...