Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine Idle and Radiator Problems, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Engine Idle and Radiator Problems, please help!

hey H-T.
So i recently had the Crank-No-Start, fixed.. got a whole new distributor. so it fires up now. but, my Problem lies here: When ever i rev up higher than 3k rpms, Rpm's go all the way up fine, but when i release the throttle it comes below 1k and bogs like it's about to shut off. please help! is it the IAC? i cleaned both the IACV aswell as the FITV.

Secondly: My car starts up fine, but after awhile, when it's time for the fan to kick in, it does , BUT doesn't shut off?? also my temp gauge shows cold all-time.
could it be Thermostat?

please and thank you i'm almost done...

specs:
1995 civic ex 5spd,
Old 01-08-2011, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Engine Idle and Radiator Problems, please help!

Sounds like the engine is overheating but you don't realize it because the cluster temp gauge is not working.

The 1-wire temp sender unit (sends temp signals to the temp gauge) is located below the distributor. Is it disconnected? If not, unplug the sender unit and then ground the disconnected wire onto the engine. When you turn the key to ON(II), does the temp needle now begin to rise from Cold to Hot? If so, the temp sender unit is likely bad or the connector was contaminated with oil or corroded, preventing good contact.

Overheating: After fixing the temp gauge, replace the thermostat and then thoroughly bleed the cooling system:

(This may take 20-30 minutes)

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push the dash heater lever/**** to MAX heat.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below (hint: the bleed bolt is located where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine):

Then go from there.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Engine Idle and Radiator Problems, please help!

thanks Ron,
i went out to diagnose, with your instructions, to my surprise when i ground the one wire temp wire the fan comes on?? then i furthure suspected the Engine Cooling fan swtich, i jumped the two pins together and the temp gauge shot up?? their like completely opposite?
helpp!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What are the colors of the two wires (should be Grn and Blk) in the fan switch connector and the single wire (should be Yel/Grn) in the sender connector? Post pictures if necessary.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah,so in pic one sorry if it's hard to interpert. but the first is the switch, and the second if you look at the Label "J" that's the yellow/black one wire plug, and if you look behind it, that's where it connects to that "nipple" ?

i'm going to be heading to work in about an hour for 4 hours, so if i don't get back to you that's why! but i'll be back :D!
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see tape from wire splicing. This is likely further evidence that the Yel/Grn sender wire has been incorrectly swapped with the Grn switch wire.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ohkay so i went out and just re-check and did the wireing turns out when i did the harness i mixed two identical yellow/green wires, still the gauge didn't show, so i guessed-and checked, and replaced the temp sensor, with a b18 one in my shed, now it works. and now the fan comes on at the right time ... but still kind of confused on how to completly bleed the cooling system,

also, from distributor leaks, is it only that 0-ring ?

what i forgot: so i did attempt to bleed the system, what i did was, lossen the radiator cap AND the bleeder screw while the cars running, and just topped off the radiator when it got low, Could air that was inside the system cause the rpm bogg? i mean i reved and didn't notice it anymore, or could it just be that the car was warmed up?
thanks!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Double check your computer is programmed. I think like 5 mins at 55mph+ and then like 10 mins straight idle will reset the computer to whatever combination of thrrotle body mods, fuel mixture in your area, temp, baro pressure etc etc etc.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you still have any idle problems?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just went out to start it and , so far so good, fire's up reved it and no idle problems just sits nicely at 1k rpm. BUT i now notice.. in every car, even before when ever you start a car in the cold or after a while, it fires up about 2k rpms and then slowly drop to 1k idle?? mine doesn't it fires up at 1.5K then come down to 1k?? doesn't seem right is there an ajustment screw?

also the above comment about reporgramming ecu does that work?
thanks!
almost there!@