Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 10-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Shaggibus
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Wobble at low speed-vibration like a ***** at high: easy fix

I just got a del Sol 93 Si after trading an 83 VW GTI Rabbit. I have always had hondas and the rabbit was too much for me.

I'm not very experienced in the garage-- I can do an oil change, filter change, basics-- so I was concerned when the wheel wobbled at low speed. Driving the car home on the highway, it was crazy how much it vibrated at 65. However, the car didn't pull to either side.

I got home and emailed the guy I bought it from. He told me to check the power steering fluid. It was a little low, but not bad. I started examining everything and hoping for an easy fix, but thinking it was some issue with the suspension... not something I could fix.

Long story short: it was the tires. I took it in to get them rotated and to get an oil change (wanted them to check out the car overall too) and they said they wouldn't let me drive off the lot in good conscience as the rubber was separated from the belt on one and the other had some of the belt showing. The tread looked good from the edge, but was crazy out of round and bald on the inside. New tires = great ride.

Just a note of caution for us newbies who don't start with the facts and start jumping to conclusions.

It's a great ride, but I miss honda civic hatches. I think my dream would be to get a mint CRX one day or get another 92 Si hatch. It's already too cold to enjoy the targa top, so maybe this one will grow on me in the spring.
Shaggibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
h22preludevtecx
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Wobble at low speed-vibration like a ***** at high: easy fix

Congrats luckily you found out the problem before anything bad happened
h22preludevtecx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
Shaggibus
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Wobble at low speed-vibration like a ***** at high: easy fix

I do feel very lucky there. The tread pattern when they pulled it was crazy: the half was bald and half was at about 55-60 percent. Waaaay out of round, and not the same all around the circumference.

It was interesting though. The guy at the tire place suggested that the tires for a stock alloy 14 inch rim were rare. They weren't expensive, thankfully. I did a google search when I got home, and it seems most places had a few options. Oh well, still driving straight and an arrow (knock on wood!)
Shaggibus is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
06, civic, honda, low, lowered, s2000, shake, shimmy, slow, speed, speeds, steering, vibration, vibrations, wobble