Acura MDX / RDX

2005 Odyssey Brake Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:31 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 2005 Odyssey Brake Recommendations

Hello all,

I have a 2005 Honday Odyssey and I need to change out my brake pads. After many years, I figured it was about time I started to do some of the basic maintenance items rather than paying for it.

So, I have few questions:

1. Rotors - I have read in several sites that it may be worth buying and replacing rotors instead of resurfacing to do time and cost to resurface. The question is should you change your rotor each time you replace the pads?

2. What brand and where to purchase - I've searched for 2005 Odyssey pads & rotors and some of the brands that keep coming are Akenono, Centric, Pronto, and others.
a) Any recommendations to which brand? I'm looking for a decent product that will do the job.
b) Recommendations to online shops? My default choice will likely be Amazon.com but I am clueless to other reputable online retailors when it comes to autoparts. Of course there is the usual Autozone, O'Riely, etc. but they don't always have the best prices.
Thanks for you input.

Last edited by kimck99; 12-24-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 2005 Odyssey Brake Recommendations

Originally Posted by kimck99
Hello all,

I have a 2005 Honday Odyssey and I need to change out my brake pads. After many years, I figured it was about time I started to do some of the basic maintenance items rather than paying for it.

So, I have few questions:

1. Rotors - I have read in several sites that it may be worth buying and replacing rotors instead of resurfacing to do time and cost to resurface. The question is should you change your rotor each time you replace the pads?
You don't have to do it every time, as long as the rotors aren't rusted, grooved, warped or have a big ridge at the edge you can reuse them.

Originally Posted by kimck99
2. What brand and where to purchase - I've searched for 2005 Odyssey pads & rotors and some of the brands that keep coming are Akenono, Centric, Pronto, and others.
a) Any recommendations to which brand? I'm looking for a decent product that will do the job.
b) Recommendations to online shops? My default choice will likely be Amazon.com but I am clueless to other reputable online retailors when it comes to autoparts. Of course there is the usual Autozone, O'Riely, etc. but they don't always have the best prices.
Thanks for you input.
If you can afford it genuine Honda is the way to go (you can usually get pretty good prices by ordering though majestic honda -> hondaautomotiveparts.com Whatever you do, don't buy cheap, generic whitebox rotors, sometimes they have fitment issues and they almost always warp.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 94EG8
You don't have to do it every time, as long as the rotors aren't rusted, grooved, warped or have a big ridge at the edge you can reuse them.

If you can afford it genuine Honda is the way to go (you can usually get pretty good prices by ordering though majestic honda -> hondaautomotiveparts.com Whatever you do, don't buy cheap, generic whitebox rotors, sometimes they have fitment issues and they almost always warp.
Thanks for the input. I will stay with the genuine Honda rotors.

As for the brake pads, is it safe to say that non-genunie parts are OK? If so, any suggestions?
Old 12-25-2010, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stay with Honda pads, aftermarket pads are noisy..
Old 12-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TODAwhore
Stay with Honda pads, aftermarket pads are noisy..
My suggestion as well, they all aftermarket pads aren't noisy, but a lot are.

Btw, make sure when you change the pads and rotors you clean up the anti rattle clips in the holder/caliper brackets (wire wheel on a drill works great) and make sure the slide pins move freely (if you have to lubricate them use silicone brake grease and nothing else, neverseize and white grease turn to glue within a couple of weeks)
Old 12-26-2010, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honda pads always come with new shims as well i can't say the same for the aftermarket pads even better quality like akebono don't come with them depends on the car i would still with factory, i mean you did get 5 years out of your brakes being your vehicle is an 05 can't go wrong with that.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 99blackcivicSi
honda pads always come with new shims as well i can't say the same for the aftermarket pads even better quality like akebono don't come with them depends on the car i would still with factory, i mean you did get 5 years out of your brakes being your vehicle is an 05 can't go wrong with that.
Thanks all for the input.

To clarify, my brakes are not the original. I wish they lasted that long. I live on a pretty high hill and I go through brakes about 1-1.5 years. So, I wanted to reduce my expenses and decided to do the brakes myself.