Go Back   Honda-Tech > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate > Health & Fitness
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 10-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Luchini
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default 1.5 mile run. Better to start off slow or fast?

So I have to do a 1.5 mile run in less then 14 minutes next week for a military physical test. I have been running on and off for the past couple months. Is it better to start off slow then try to fnish fast or start fast and try not to lose too much steam. Some people say start off slow then sprint the end. Others say 1.5 mile is not long enough to start off slow and that you should just start fast and as your pace slows, overall you will still be faster then the first group.

I always run at a somewhat slow pace for 1.5 miles as this is the only way I can go through it all without stopping to walk. I use to be able to sprint the last 30 seconds of it but havent been able to lately maybe old age is getting to me. Anyways I ran at this pace and finished 15:30.

Today I tried something different. Basically semi-sprinted the first half of it and stopped to walk to catch my breath for about 15-20 seconds every couple minutes before starting again. On the second half of it I went back to the slow jogging pace. Thought about sprinting the last 1/8 of mile but I guess the mind or body wasnt willing. Anyways I finished quicker at 14:30. If I had sprinted the last 1/8 maybe could finish under 14.

So the second technique seems kind of flawed as I always hear you should try to maintain a steady pace but yet I ran it quicker by doing semi-sprints and then walking for 20 seconds to recover and then repeat.

Anyways what are yalls thoughts? I only have a week so anymore conditioning is pretty much out the window. Maybe I should try semi-sprinting intervals the whole 1.5 miles next time. Never heard or seen anyone do that for the 1.5 mile test but it may work out for me better as my jogging stride and pace are horribly slow.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Patrick
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 1.5 mile run. Better to start off slow or fast?

Here's a tip from another military member that has to do a 1.5 mile run for the PT test... don't walk. BAM!

Run through the pain (side stitch, knee ache, whatever), it's 99% mental.

Also, take a stopwatch (I have a cheap digital wristwatch) with you while you run so you ran adjust your pace as you go.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Luchini
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

What do you usually run it in? When I was on the ship I could run it around 13:15. Guess going up and down 20 ladderwells a day built me some pretty good leg muscles as I could sprint the end but im on shore duty now.

In order for me not to walk I always start with a slow pace and short stride. By the end of the run im still huffing and barely make or miss the time cut off. On Monday Im gonna try using a pretty fast pace and long stride. I know I wont be able to keep it up the whole run and may stop to walk a few times but I think it will still be faster then my old style slow *** pace and short stride.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
Honda Bull
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Honda Bull Send a message via Skype™ to Honda Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Run through the pain (side stitch, knee ache, whatever), it's 99% mental.

Also, take a stopwatch (I have a cheap digital wristwatch) with you while you run so you ran adjust your pace as you go.
These. You should definitely practice with a stop watch and adjust your pace to what you can do. And then just keep pushing yourself. I personally try and keep a similar pace the entire way - not too fast at the start and it just traces off little by little and it's worked quite well.

I haven't run a 1.5 mile yet though, but I'd surely adjust my overall pace to a bit slower to go the entire distance and then just push through the pain if necessary. I run 1 mile on the mountain I live on which includes 15-degree slopes, so my *** is whipped by the time I run that since I have a heart murmur. My mile time there though is 7:15.

Concentrate on breathing really well, so that your body can maximize its energy, and also, when you get tired, don't let your arms rock side to side - keep them moving forward to try and prevent ANY loss of forward motion.

Good luck! And keep us updated.

SURJE.motorsports :: EH2 Hatch :: 10.98 @ 129 mph @ "The Beaver"
Honda Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
integra15
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Since you don't have enough time to train more, I would start slow. Don't go so fast that you have to start walking. Jog the first mile at a slow pace, then concentrate on burning up the rest of your energy in the last half mile.
integra15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
goforbroke
MEAT PATTY
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to goforbroke

If you don't have to do any physically activity when you get done, such as pull-ups, air squats or any silly stupid activities to push you over the edge of pukage, just run it BALLS OUT!

Is the run done on a track? If thats the case you just have to run 2:20 laps which really isn't blistering fast. I don't run anymore but if your in half decent/poor shape you can bust this out man. Do not stop running at all its the worst thing you can do.

How long have you been training for this run?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
JmurGSR98
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

I have to do the run in a couple of weeks, too. I've been doing this for 10 years and the one thing that I never do is stop. I always start out a little faster than I like to get past those that are slower than me. That way I can have space around me and establish my own pace. After that I slow down to my pace and carry that same pace until I can see the finish line. From there I gradually increase my speed until I'm within about 15 to 30 seconds of finishing and just sprint as fast as I can to the end. Never failed the PRT yet I'm not trying to break records. Just trying to pass and always have plenty of time to spare when I finish.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
joelmatt89
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to joelmatt89

Your body will perform better if you start slower and increase spead. However most people can't do this so I would recommend start a little fast then slow down then increase speed. Bottomline is it is all a mental game you just have to tell yourself the pain is in your head. Run with a smile the best distance running coach from America would force his runners to learn to run with a smile at all times. The best runners in the world always have a smile while there running Taramahuras, Kenyans etc.

Also I would really recommend you jog a warm up, don't overstretch... it's overated and leads to more injuries than actually runnning. Like others said this really is not that fast at all. I would not consider myself a gifted runner but I used to run alot. After highschool I stopped running altogether for two years, didn't work out at all. One time I was with a friend and bet him I could run a 5 minute flat mile on the premise that it was all mental and that short of a run you just gotta go ***** to the wall. I just used the same mental techinques I had learned from all the running I had done in highschool. I won the bet and felt I felt completely awful afterwards. I am not saying anyone could do this cause learning to play the mental games takes time but you get my point.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Patrick
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchini View Post
What do you usually run it in? When I was on the ship I could run it around 13:15. Guess going up and down 20 ladderwells a day built me some pretty good leg muscles as I could sprint the end but im on shore duty now.

In order for me not to walk I always start with a slow pace and short stride. By the end of the run im still huffing and barely make or miss the time cut off. On Monday Im gonna try using a pretty fast pace and long stride. I know I wont be able to keep it up the whole run and may stop to walk a few times but I think it will still be faster then my old style slow *** pace and short stride.
Last PT test I had I ran it in 11:36 which IMO still isn't very fast.

I will also recommend sprinting/picking up the pace on the turns if you are running on a track. This method can take a good chunk off your time.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
silverstreek81
Honda-Tech Member
1995 Honda Civic

I normally run mine in like mid 13's to mid 14's. Just took mine a few weeks ago, ran a low 12. Have not ran that fast in almost 5 years. I just didn't stop, had somebody that is a fast runner pace me, made sure to kinda stay loose when i was running, kept my arms moving, stayed straight up (slouching when you're tired hurts your breathing) and ate a banana about 45 minutes before my test so i wouldn't cramp up. Also, i drank water and only water starting a week before my test. And i didn't do any pt a week from my test. Having a mp3 player helps too, not just to keep my mind off the pain or whatever, but i chose 3 songs that were around 4 minutes each and tried to finish 2 laps per song (since at our track 6 laps = 1.5 miles), maybe you can do something similar. Not sure if any of this will help, but it's worth a shot. Just don't fail it whatever ya do.....
silverstreek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
Frozen E
H-T White Ops
2008 Honda Element

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchini View Post
So I have to do a 1.5 mile run in less then 14 minutes next week for a military physical test.
How'd you do?

Even my 250lb self can run a mid 10 minute mile and a half.
Frozen E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #12
Fnix
Honda-Tech Member
1999 Honda Civic

iTrader Rating: (1)

I'm in the airforce and run my 1.5 in 10:30, I start off fast and end the same speed as I start. Stick your chest out and breathe from your lungs, take long powerful strides.
Fnix is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
1030, 14, 1430, 15, cover, fast, faster, mile, miles, minutes, run, running, slow, sprint, start