Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Engine swap to different year?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap to different year?

I am the (usually) happy owner of a 91LX with 155K on it. The drivetrain, other than the little PGMI relay issue I will hopefully have fixed today runs like new. The body? not so much.

It needs a windshield. It has typical rear well well cancer. I absolutely abhor the motorized belts.

It drives like new and I could fix these issues, but, what I would much rather do is find another car, preferably a little newer with a blown motor. Ideally, I'd like to find a wagon.

Are there issues with drivetrain swaps to different years? I really like the next gen, particularly the interior. A 94-95 wagon would be ideal.

How new can I go without major reworking? I am handy enough and could deal with slight harness mods, so long as I knew what they were ahead of time.

the other question is how much tougher is it to do if the donor body has an automatic? Seems like most of the good candidates out there are autos. a few years ago i was looking over an auto in the boneyard. It had a beautiful body and interior and was labled as having a good engine. I asked the boneyard worker why in the hell it was being parted? he said smoked tranny.

Another reason I am thinking of going this route is it is way overdue for a t-belt, water pump and there is some sort of oil leak, I believe front main seal.

All these issues are very easily dealt with when hanging from an engine hoist.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine swap to different year?

If you're swapping into a CD chassis using any ECU other than the CD ecus will need to revers pins A6 and A11 (IACV and O2 heater) in the plugs. For the wiring neccesary to convert over to manual from an auto check the FAQ.

Aside from that, mix and match engine mounts and some wiring mods and any F/H motor will drop in.