Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to install fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install fog lights

Let me know if this is waste to post this.
Figured I'd do a write up since Honda's instructions aren't to clear.
Okay, so I recived my fog lights that I had been searching for on 09/22, found them on ebay from this guy all Honda genuine for like $100, really good price.
First thing you want grab a cold one.
Got home around 5:45 (from work honda)
Started around 6:15
Finshed around 8:45 (not including break time)
Total install time (app) 2hr. 30min.
(probably would have had a faster install time if it wasnt so dark out)
Skill level required: 4 (1-10 scale)
Patients required: 5 (1-10 scale)

Tools required: 3 Philps screw drives (1 fine-tip one fat-tip and a mini-me)
1 Flat tip screw driver
10 mm Wrench
10 mm Socket with ratchet
1 Big *** knife (make sure it can cut threw plastic)
11mm Drill bit
1 Drill
1 File (optional)
1 Extension

Okay, so lets get started first thing you want to do is, disconnect the battery. Then remove the bumper. There are 7 clips that are really easy to take off, these sit between the hood and grill

After these are out get under the car, and bust out the mini me cuz a regular screw driver will NOT clear the ground and the bumper.

There are 2 philps screws one on the left side and one on the right. Remove these.

Last there are x2 10mm self tapping screws, one on each side. Unblot them and then pull the clip down out of the insert. (on some models the temperture sensor is mounted by to bolt and there is one other bolt to the frame make sure these are takin off)

Now the bumper should come off nice and easy.

Now heres where I found it to be a pain in the *** because I didn't have a wizz. wheel to just cut this **** out. First drill a 11mm hole in on the waved area of the vent where the fog light is going to mount. Do this from the inside of the bumper. Then take 7 pushpins and make a 7 point marking. I didnt do either of these steps i Just took a knife ( 3 inch blad, was a pain in the ***) and took to it. Every once in a while I'd take the cover of the fog light and make sure it fit untill I had a proper fit.

After you're done with that take a break becuase in the next few steps you're going to hate(the hardest part, not that hard just a pain).

Take the fog light harness that came with the fog lights that has x2 2pin connectors and x1 1pin connector (brown) and run it through behind the radiator support leaving the x2 2pin conectors in front of the bumper. These will be your foglight connectors.

Once you've done that bend the power steering resivour toward the valve cover, this will give you space to put you're hand in and grab the other 1pin connector that attaches to the 1pin connector that you just wired threw.
It will be marked with blue tape and will sit behind the winshield washer fluid. Once connected zip-tie everthing down and tuck. Don't foget to bend the resivour back, and unscrew on of the bolts to the fender and atach the ground cable.

There should be 6 zip-ties with clips that insert into the supports 2 of them will be of set they will go on the very end where the connector is (green tape).

Now take you're fog light and it should be marked left or right. I did my left first and take your A and B brackets left also, and 4 screws with washer and screw them in. Do the same thing with the right side.

Okay now take that foglight that you just added the brackets to and place it on your bumper Left with the Left side Right with the Right. Now take 4 self-tapping screws and screw them in there, there will be like little posts that they go into.

Now you're ready to attach Bumper with Body. while doing this make sure you connect the fog light harnes to the fog lights (make sure you leave the foam insert inside of the bumper. I took it out and installed the bumper then had to take it off and put it on).

Okay, align the bumper and screw and bolt the bad bitch in place.

Now you can add you're fog light cover to make it look clean. This is very simple if you drilled the 11mm hole in the bumper ( I Didn't so I waited till i got to work to add it on) but there is a tab that will insert inside make sure that goes in.

Okay, be happy Now you can get in the car and do wiring (yeay).
First take the driver dash board uner cover off. This is just 3 philps screws and 2 tabs.
Dont foget to disconect the power mirror and moon roof switch if you have them.

Now remove the Knew bolter, this is where you're extension is handy. There are 2 bolts on either side. Just lift up and pull out.

Now take the column cover off 3 screw 2 retaining clips push in and up to remove these clips.

Okay now you can see 1 connector farley large right behind the steering wheel(for the light) disconnect this. After diconnecting this take the switch harness you have that came with the lights and attach it to the female connector that you just unplugged, and take the male end and clip it into the female end of your switch harness, so it's in-between.

Okay now set this all a side and crawl your *** under the dash with a flash light and look for a 1pin connector in blue tape right behind the fuse box its really hard to see.It's right behind the fuse box and it's hiding (looks like the 1pin connector that you wired through the radiator support). When found connect it to the switch harness and zip-tie everthing and tuck. It took me about 30min to find the stupid brown connector (Honda's insturctions sucked, on finding this)

Now you'll have a relay attach this to the switch harness, and find a ground. The ground honda recommended was impossible to use and get my hand down to, so i just used the bolt where the knee bolster was attach by and grounded it there.

Almost done last steps, take the cushion tape that came with it and attach it right next to the rack spring big open area (can't miss it)

Now take the driver dashboard lower cover and pop the cover for the last remain switch and insert your switch and attach all you're connectors. Now all thats left is the reinstalltion.

All thats left is to go crusin.
Go for a little ride and then see if they need to be adjusted turn left to lower, right to higher, there is an ajusting screw on the fog lights, if you didn't notice.
Thanks for reading.
If you have any question hit me up.
Any comments leave em.

Modified by q45mm at 5:07 PM 9/23/2005

Modified by q45mm at 12:55 PM 10/19/2005
Old 09-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to install fog lights (q45mm)

Let me know what u think
Old 09-23-2005, 01:19 PM

I dident read it all I just skimed it over and it seems pretty good with nice details.

I dont understand why its necisary to disconect the battery tho? I find that such a pain in the *** when 99% of the time you dont need to.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whoa after the first time you do it, its really a piece of cake.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to install fog lights (nocturnaldragon)

Yeah its just hondas instructions
Old 10-17-2005, 04:58 PM

i did the same install on my 05 civic hybrid. I had one problem, a humming sound from the relay when the mainlamps are off and the fog lamp switch is on. Any ideas? From the instructions they are suppose to stay off. On the 16 pin connector I had a blue wire, which was already in its place. I stripped it and tied the fog lamp wire around it. I had installed the alarm previously and the one it called for was empty. Did I install it in the wrong place perhaps? Check out my link below for more info.

http://www.greenhybrid.com/dis...29758
Old 10-17-2005, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what car is this for cause i did a write up on install for a EG.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1352749
Old 10-17-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

Nice job on yours. It is on a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid. I am using the factory/stock foglamps.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its for a 99 Civic ex
Old 10-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Looks good.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to install fog lights

yoo i have a question how did u get the wires thru the firewall? cuz my idot friends accidently drilled a hole and cut right thru the fuel lines both and now they leak. oh i have a 89 civic hatch by the way.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eazy64
yoo i have a question how did u get the wires thru the firewall? cuz my idot friends accidently drilled a hole and cut right thru the fuel lines both and now they leak. oh i have a 89 civic hatch by the way.
Push it through the same hole that your headlight harness goes through.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

okay thanx. wat about the fuel line is that an easy fix??