Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

White dots/specs in paint after wetsanding

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White dots/specs in paint after wetsanding

I gave my car a new paint job and it turned out pretty good for my first time. Very little orange peel. It actually looks like paint jobs from the factory that come with a little orange peel. But when I began wetsanding it, I started noticing tiny white dots in the paint. I filtered the paint and clear before spraying. Cleaned my gun after every coat applied. What could cause this? Its not just in random spots. I started wetsanding my drivers side fender and stopped at the door because it was everywhere. I'm guessing I'll have to repaint either the whole car or just repaint those areas that were wetsanded and leave the paint the way it is. Unless I keep wetsanding and see if it will come out before getting too deep into the base?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: White dots/specs in paint after wetsanding

could be a variable of things. Could be water in the material, it could be the paint not mixed well enough, not reduced enough, or not having a small enough micron filter. i double filter everything before spraying. Or it could be your paint gun malfunctioning and its not atomizing the paint properly. or it could be solvent pop that your noticing. thats when you dont give the material enough time to vapor release beetween coats and that can cause tiny little bubbles that will be everywhere. depending on what color the car is it can be really noticeable or barely visible. if you can take an upclose picture of it we can give you a more definitive answer.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by IMPATIENT
could be a variable of things. Could be water in the material, it could be the paint not mixed well enough, not reduced enough, or not having a small enough micron filter. i double filter everything before spraying. Or it could be your paint gun malfunctioning and its not atomizing the paint properly. or it could be solvent pop that your noticing. thats when you dont give the material enough time to vapor release beetween coats and that can cause tiny little bubbles that will be everywhere. depending on what color the car is it can be really noticeable or barely visible. if you can take an upclose picture of it we can give you a more definitive answer.
we actually had a similar problem at the shop just last week. for us, it turned out to be a gallon of clear from back on a random shelf that had gotten frozen or at least well below the recommended storage temp. when it froze, it must have gotten little micro bubbles in the clear that didn't mix out.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is how it looks after wetsanding with 1500 grit. I think I'm just going to repaint the car. I'm not really digging this color. Hopefully I can figure out what went wrong so it won't happen on the next paint job.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by IMPATIENT
Well, its supposed to be NHBP and its very noticeable. I waited the amount of time recommended by Omni between coats and I'm sure I mixed properly. I didn't double filter, didn't know people did that. Might give it a try and it's a brand new Devilbiss GTi gun and it sprayed fine. As for reducing, I followed the manufacturers specs. Base was 3:1 and clear was 4:1
Old 09-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JmurGSR98

This is how it looks after wetsanding with 1500 grit. I think I'm just going to repaint the car. I'm not really digging this color. Hopefully I can figure out what went wrong so it won't happen on the next paint job.
holy ****, Ive never seen it happen that bad before. jeez. thats terrible. Did you buy chance use old hardener ? ive had that happen to me when using hardener that had the cap left off for too long and it actually started to harden up. If you leave material open to air for too long it can start to malfunction and harden, even with out catalyst.

Also, what did you reduce the paint with ?, and did you use a compatible sealer, and/primer ? just asking cause if you used say lacquer primer and then sprayed a urethane sealer the next day you could be having some reaction problems.

Also, did your activator have a temperature range ? if you use an activator in a temperature that is either well low, or well high above its range it can cause bubbles that look just like that, the clear actually dries too fast or too slow and traps **** inside of it when the top of the clear hardens first. Clears supposed to harden from the inside -out. not the reverse.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought my paint, clear, and primer in December and painted the car in May. Everything remained closed until the day I painted the car and everything was new, nothing was old. It was about 60 degrees outside and the directions only said to let it cure longer for lower temperature. I believe the recommended temperature for the products was 70 degrees. The paint booth I used wasn't a temperature controlled one. It was basically a shack with filters that let an air draft through that I rented for the day.

My paint and primer was Omni but my primer was Limco. The paint shop said they were compatible.

I did not use a sealer. When I got my supplies, I asked if the paint, clear and primer was all I needed and they said yes. Plus, a guy I work with used to paint cars on the side and he said all I needed was base and clear because I wasn't doing a completely different color. Just went from the original GSR black to Type-R NHBP.

Omni paint was reduced with Omni reducer.

I'm just going to repaint the car, but with a different color. Probably will try a different paint shop.