Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL
Old 03-25-2015, 09:37 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

leaky gas tank - any quick fix avail other than replacement?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaky gas tank - any quick fix avail other than replacement?

I noticed that my gas tank has developed a leak. I believe it is leaking at the seam between the upper and lower tank, as it only leaks when the car is filled up beyond a certain level. I looked underneath, and it seems like the leak is coming from the seam that is at the rear most part of the tank, facing the rear of the car. It appears that the entire rear subframe needs to be removed to access the tank for a replacement.

Is there any quick-fix kit that can be applied to the leaking seam? Has anyone had this issue and found any remedy other than a full replacement of the tank? Removing the subframe and replacing the tank seems very costly, and probably 1/2 of what the value of the car is.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: leaky gas tank - any quick fix avail other than replacement?

If its leaking at the seam theres not really anything you can do besides replace the tank.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Back in the day - tanks were made of steel.

We used to get under the car with a bar of ivory soap and rub it on the area where the leak was. After a short while it sealed.

In high scool I had a 1950 Chevy that developed a tank leak. My dad taught me this trick.

Not saying it will work on today's car, but for the price of a bar of ivory soap - it won't hurt to try.

After the ivory soap application - the tank remained sealed. We never replaced the tank or made any other repair to it.

Google -> "ivory soap gas tank leak"

Last edited by Lester Lugnut; 08-25-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

IIRC the ivory soap trick really only works on a fuel system that is not pressurized. Not that there is a lot of pressure in our tanks but I'm sure it's enough to push past some soap.

Only thing I can think of is some liquid metal or metal putty aka 2 part epoxy or JB weld. There are a few different versions of this stuff. there is the stuff that comes in a solid pliable form that you squeeze together to activate and then stick to the metal surface. Or there is the two part liquid, this takes time to set and requires that the tank be empty or at least the hole has to be dry.

Depending on the size of the hole. If it's a pin hole I have seen people drill them out and use sheet metal screws with a fuel quality sealer.

These are temporary fixes. Ether have the tank repaired properly at a welding shop or replace it at your earliest convenience.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks all for the advice so far. Has anyone actually removed the rear subframe to get access to the tank? If so, was it a very tedious, difficult process? A piece of the rear subframe is blocking access to the rear of the tank (where there is the leaking seam).
Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think your tank is leaking from the fuel pump seal, and its leaking that way where you see it. you dont have to take off the subframe. theres two straps that hold the tank up. very easy. just make sure you disconnect the hose that goes to where u pump fuel. and drop it slowly.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

This all depends on how rusted your gas tank straps, bolts and lines are. If they are all in good shape. It would probably be easier to drop the tank and fix it then it would be to disconnect the control arms and drop the rear cross member.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've had mine off a few times.. its really not that bad to do.. just make sure when you do it that you empty the gas or you will most likely get squashed. its pretty heavy when you try to drop it down on your chest. Get a haynes manual, it'll give you enough of an idea on how to get started and whether or not you want to do it
Old 08-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, my leak was right above the seam on my original tank.. and when i had it down i got a new fuel pump because i didn't want to do it again even though i ended up having to drop it again to do the seals because i didn't replace them. So when you have it down ATLEAST replace the seals.. they are a few bucks and trust me they will be as hard as abs plastic when you go to take them off.. and dry rotted and about to leak.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Last time I checked a gallon of gas weighed 8 pounds.

16 gallon tank - half full -> 64 pounds + weight of tank.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

guys, are you sure the 6th gen accord has straps that hold the tank in? I know the earlier ones do, but it seems like the tank is completely blocked by the rear subframe. the car in question is a 2000 5-speed SE sedan.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

should be the same. held in by two straps. the bolts for the straps go right where the sub frame is. and the back part of the straps just go kinda grabbed on to the other side of the frame. heres a diagram so u can have an idea of parts. dont get lost now. this is just to show you that it is held by straps and you dont have to take apart the sub frame.
Attached Images