Notices

[DIY] OEM 88-91 Honda Civic Cruise Control Retrofit Install [courtesy TJS Hondas]

Old 08-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default [DIY] OEM 88-91 Honda Civic Cruise Control Retrofit Install [courtesy TJs Hondas]

This old website DIY has been long abandoned and relegated to the dust bin of Interwebz history. The last time I recall seeing it operational was some time in early 2008.

Anyway, I managed to dredge it up from archive.org using a little magic, after hunting down an old link here on HT. It was incredibly helpful a couple of years ago when I was doing my own Cruise Control retrofit on my 1994 Civic.

Here is the link, with pictures, wiring diagrams and all text and everything. Archive.org is a permanent repository so it's not going anywhere -- but it doesn't get crawled by Google, either, you would be hard pressed finding it on your own otherwise. Credit goes to "TJs Hondas" who took the time and effort to put it together, and I didn't think such valuable information should be lost.

An excerpt:
Originally Posted by TJs Hondas
FIRST, Don't even try this if you do not have a HELM manual. The wiring gets somwhat complicated as it ties into many existing systems. The 88-91 Civic Helm manual covers both the hatchback AND the sedan so it's not a bad investment. To get started, here is the cruise control circuit diagram from my Helm manual. This should be a good indication of what you about to get into. These are not step by step instructions, only a guide!
In the following notes, I have intentionally made them specific to the 90-91 Civic Si, since this is what I have experience with. I'm sure the 90-91 standard model & DX are similar, as well as the 90-91 CRX models. The 88-89 Civic's & CRX's have slight differences, but this should be a suitable guide for those cars too.

WHAT TO GET FROM A CRUISE EQUIPPED 88-91 SEDAN:
•Cruise Actuator and cable (under hood)
•Gas/Brake/Clutch pedal assembly
Cruise Controller with wiring harness connectors and all 13 wires (in driver's footwell)
•Cruise lamp dimmer circuit (behind instrument cluster)
•Green "Cruise Control" window in instrument cluster for that authentic look
•Steering wheel and slip ring
•Cruise main switch
You will need an EX sedan throttle cable if you have an Si

There is no specific order to installing the system, although logical decisions are encouraged! For instance, while the pedal assy is out, this is a prime opportunity to do most of the wiring/routing.

I have put together these brief notes (from memory) about the parts listed above:
The Cruise Actuator will fit under the hood on top of the drivers side engine mount, however only one of the three available mounting points will be there. I got a little creative to get the unit to hold down with two of the three bolts. It has never fallen off in the 5 years it's been there.

Since the cruise control actuator cable goes to the pedal and not the throttle body, you need to figure out where to drill a cable hole in the firewall. Measure this location relative to the regular throttle cable (over & down) on the donor sedan!

(cruise actuator)

(actuator cable location)

[...]

Actually, his old site has some pretty cool information. You might find something interesting checking out the old pages. Unfortunately, the best way to look around is to scroll through the archive of the individual files because the archived home page is messed up.

Last edited by deschlong; 07-11-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: fixed image links
Old 08-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [DIY] OEM 88-91 Honda Civic Cruise Control Retrofit Install [courtesy TJS Hondas]

whooo hoo
Old 07-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [DIY] OEM 88-91 Honda Civic Cruise Control Retrofit Install [courtesy TJS Hondas]

Good thread...I'm putting the lx cruise in my crx right now. Always had this circuit diagram but found it somewhere else. I would like to add my notes so far:

-The entire pedal assembly is not necessary. The LX pedal bracket alone can be modifed to fit the throttle body. This also saves you from drilling another hole in the firewall.
-You don't need the cruise dimmer circuit or instument cluster piece.
-Don't need the LX throttle cable.

Definitely DO have:
-the main cruise switch
-control module
-actuator with cable
-LX steering wheel, slip ring, and cancel cam for turn signals!!
-harnesses for each piece
-pedal bracket for the cable

I bought a setup that was missing a couple of these key pieces, and it took awhile of junk yard hunting to find them.

Last edited by zrickety; 12-22-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: grammaaarrrr
Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used this thread for my install, but I used all of the pieces for a clean OEM look, but anyway you do it, having cruise is really nice on long drives.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Glad it's helped, guys - and thanks for bumping when you use it. Very courteous.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for bumping an old thread guys, but i have an issue with my stock cruise control in my sedan. it has stopped working and id like to know where u guys think i should go looking for. i have been looking for a fuse or a relay but i cant seem to locate it. and this "retrofitting" thread is the on only 4g cruise control related to my issue
Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The diagram says fuse No. 35, it's 20amp. If that's ok, check the main switch, then start checking the pedal switches. You can do most of these checks right at the module plug under the dash. GL
Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello all. I just bought a 91 STD and I'm going to pick it up Saturday. I have to fly to Baltimore to get it and there is a nearby junkyard with lots of cars. The guy I'm buying it from is letting me use his tools to go to said junkyard. Now I am not the most mechanically inclined person but I want to attempt to remove all parts for the Cruise Control while I am down there but I have no idea what tools I will need. Could somebody please advise me as to what tools I should bring? Thanks a lot.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:46 PM

^ Yeah. Click the link in my sig, then scroll down. Bring a power screwdriver: it will save you from going insane and save your wrist from tendinitis. I can remove a whole CC system in about 2 hours, but I know what I'm doing now. Budget at least 4 hours, if not 6.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow that's a long time. Thanks a lot for your post I might have to postpone the cruise control cuz I'm not gonna have 4-6 hours, and it will probably take me somewhere around 8 lol. Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I followed the instruction on the referenced web page and I was successful. The only part the instructions failed to mention was the cam to turn off the turn signal. I disagree with the "additional technical electrical notes" at the end that the author credited to someone else. That person was trying to do the install without changing the foot pedals and leaving out features like the dimmer.

Most of the wiring just connects between the various cruise control components removed from the sedan. I had to tap into the existing wiring in exactly six places. I attached scans of my notes you might find them useful. I also grabbed the instrument cluster insert from the sedan that holds three controls instead of just two. Some very careful Dremmel work on a spare instrument cluster hood provided a result that looks like it came that way from the factory. (See picture)
Attached Images