Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

prevent theives from towing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default prevent theives from towing

is there anyway to prevent theives from towing your whip? sure, you can layer everything on, but for someone like me who lives in the city and is the only one in the household with a car, is there a way to prevent it? of course i could just get a beater, but thats not happening. i could park in between cars, but i cant rely on anyone else. i had my honda stolen once and im going to do everything possible to prevent it this time. my old car was found dumped in a discreet location so the theives obviously had a tow truck.
should i mention the car im getting is literally slammed on gc springs so maybe its not even possible to tow it...<edit>

Modified by HONDRETTI at 10:23 PM 2/6/2008
Old 02-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: prevent theives from towing (HONDRETTI)

I was gonna say to park another car behind yours which would make it nearly impossible but you said there's only one car in your household?

If that's the case, parking behind your house is probably your best bet.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 PM

Take off your wheels and put it on blocks or jack stands and what do you mean by alcove, like a tent?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you've got an alarm, there are tilt sensors made by DEI that will trigger the alarm when the car is tilted, i.e. if it's getting picked up by a tow truck. It'd be a matter of being able to react to your pager or alarm sounding off when it happens though.

Being slammed does make it tough to tow. My old DA Integra was low as hell, made it tough to get onto a flatbed, no way anyone could drag it unless they wanted to make a huge scene of the bumper breaking or dragging the exhaust on the ground.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Reject Papi

Default Re: prevent theives from towing (superchi)

here we go again..... thieves and their expletiveing.....thieving. FTMFL!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 PM

Default Re: prevent theives from towing (jhammond_82)

hood latch relocated, pager remote with alarm, spare hidden battery (inside car) with extra horn, vibration sensor turned up more, and a tilt sensor... its would be REAL HARD for them to get it then, they would have to get into the car and disconnect the extra hidden battery just to get your car on the flat bed, and lowering is harder to tow... mine broke down and its lower about 3 inches and the tow truck guy told me i would have to take my rear bumper and exhaust off from axle back...
Old 02-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: prevent theives from towing (ls19integra95)

How about turning the steering wheel all the way to the left or right and locking the wheel? Wouldn't that make it difficult to get the car towed?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:13 PM

or how about just cut the stock tow hook ...front and rear? but sucks if your car dies in the middle of no where..
Old 02-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: prevent theives from towing (SWE3TDUDE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SWE3TDUDE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How about turning the steering wheel all the way to the left or right and locking the wheel? Wouldn't that make it difficult to get the car towed?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would imagine if they were desperate, they'd just drag it away. It'd probably make a scene going down the road though
Old 02-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gps alarm system?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SWE3TDUDE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How about turning the steering wheel all the way to the left or right and locking the wheel? Wouldn't that make it difficult to get the car towed?</TD></TR></TABLE>not really if they have a tow truck they would just toss the front end up on a dolly.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: prevent theives from towing (KaoticSnow)

What if I park the car in gear, steering wheel turned to the side and locked? I would imagine it being a lot more difficult to tow the car when the wheels aren't moving?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:51 AM
* B A N N E D *

tires locks or chain the tires down....

or park the car horizontally across your drive way
Old 02-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: prevent theives from towing (GRAF-FITI)

You guys do realize tow truck carry small wheel dollies right?

they go around your wheels lift the car a bit and then they can move it around on casters to position it to where they can get it.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: prevent theives from towing (siksdb8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siksdb8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You guys do realize tow truck carry small wheel dollies right?

they go around your wheels lift the car a bit and then they can move it around on casters to position it to where they can get it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes.....i was being facetious
Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: prevent theives from towing (GRAF-FITI)

actually chaining down your tires to the ground would be bad ***... i'm thinking of doing it in my garage, and parking spot. but then again chains can be cut.

definately some good security ideas in this thread.

at the end of the day layers of security are the only way to slow theft down.

hood cable relocation, alarm, gps, back up battery for the alarm, tilt sensors, mercury switches, Clutch lock, wheel locks, fuel cut off, ignition cutoff, and the door lock mod all help.

NOTHING stops a determined thief
Old 02-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ thats lottttttttts of security
Old 02-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kelviiv)

^^^^i was just about to say tow trucks carry wheel dollies, i wasn't aware of it til i saw them sliding an escalade on dollies hahaha..
i know it seems/sounds stupid but leaving your car clean on the inside nothing showing,(cd cases, backpacks, etc.) keep it dirty on the outside helps alot, everytime my cars have been fVcked with it's because i just wash/waxed it. as far as them towing it if thieves want it bad enough they'll take it, more layers more safety..
Old 02-07-2008, 09:51 AM

When you say "clutch lock" do you mean a solenoid that would disingage the hydraulic line to the slave? Similar to a "line lock" Seems like that would be a good Idea if it was in a good location. The clutch could not be operated that way.

Chris
Old 02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: prevent theives from towing (shiftyvtec)

no chris i was talking about the actual lock that you put on the clutch pedal

although your idea is definately a good one. not sure if its possible though
Old 02-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: prevent theives from towing (siksdb8)

i wish honda would catch on and do more about including anti-theft devices in their cars. sad when you can't even have piece of mind knowing it's outside in your driveway. people who buy these stolen parts are just as guilty too.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Solenoid on the Clutch line wouldn't be to bad an idea, Divert the flow to a 2nd reservoir. Hell maybe even back into the main reservoir.

Modified by KaoticSnow at 5:28 PM 2/10/2008
Old 02-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Reject Papi

Default Re: (KaoticSnow)

my piece of mind is a high-point 9mm carbine. i'm not too sure if there is any expletive-up proof anti theft device. thieves aren't idiots, they can bypass just about anything.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HONDRETTI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there anyway to prevent theives from towing your whip? sure, you can layer everything on, but for someone like me who lives in the city and is the only one in the household with a car, is there a way to prevent it? of course i could just get a beater, but thats not happening. i could park in between cars, but i cant rely on anyone else. i had my honda stolen once and im going to do everything possible to prevent it this time. my old car was found dumped in a discreet location so the theives obviously had a tow truck.
should i mention the car im getting is literally slammed on gc springs so maybe its not even possible to tow it...&lt;edit&gt;

Modified by HONDRETTI at 10:23 PM 2/6/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, even if your car is slammed, and they screw up the bumpers or chassis while towing it or pulling it onto a flatbed, they're most likely after your engine, chassis parts, and wheels. That's where a lot of the $$ is.

This is the trick I use. I'm sure it's not 100% effective, but It's SOMETHING, I guess. It's also free.

Park against a wall or another car or a parking block with the front of your car. Pull up as far as you can. Put the car in gear. Put the E-brake on. Turn your steering wheel ALL THE WAY in one direction. Take out the key and make sure the streering wheel locks in an almost fully turned position. That way, even if you smash the window, turn off the E brake, and take it out of gear, the steering wheel is locked so that they can't tow with the rear end lifted up as easily. It will also be a little harder to pull your car up on a flatbed.

Like I said, it isn't much, but usually theives go for an easy, quick target. Make it more difficult and a little more time consuming, and that's a good defense.

Praying helps.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Reject Papi

Default Re: prevent theives from towing (B serious)

good idea ^^^

Quick Reply: prevent theives from towing