Notices

So, I wrecked my baby, need some help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, I wrecked my baby, need some help please!

A guy turned in front of me last Thursday, and messed up my passenger side front end pretty good:

I bought an 88 CRX last night, drove 8 hours to get it because the body is in pretty good shape. My plan is to use the fender, hood, and bumper from the 88 for my 91.

Can anyone tell me if I am going to run into big issues with this? I just want her back on the road

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So, I wrecked my baby, need some help please!

shouldn't have any probs... unless there's more damage behind the headlight or fender.

post pics when its apart i will try to help if you need it (work at a body shop)
Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WigginsSiR
shouldn't have any probs... unless there's more damage behind the headlight or fender.

post pics when its apart i will try to help if you need it (work at a body shop)
OK sounds good will do. I plan on making a rebuild thread out of this car, maybe learn alot myself and help others at the same time.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My CRX had similar damage but to the driver side. My roof buckled and had a gap on the door opening indicating a bent frame so I sold it. I had cracked windshield too. How fast were you both going?

Inattentive cellphone driver = 1

CRX = 0

http://www.vadriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339485

Old 08-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you plan to do the work yourself?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Laserjock
My CRX had similar damage but to the driver side. My roof buckled and had a gap on the door opening indicating a bent frame so I sold it. I had cracked windshield too. How fast were you both going?

Inattentive cellphone driver = 1

CRX = 0

http://www.vadriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339485

I was going about 30, maybe 35 mph. He was turning in front of me, so no forward momentum for him. No glass broken with the exception of headlight, doors still close freely. May have some a-frame damage though; the wheel looks as if it is pushed a bit farther back than normal maybe?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EL Vap133
Do you plan to do the work yourself?
Yes I do. I worked at a car audio shop for many years, and during slow downs we concentrated work on adding wings and kits to cars for dealerships and individuals. I know how to spray and prep, but the actual repair work will be a new experience for me.

Something I should know before hand lol?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mai bpen eheah=It's a bitch
Old 08-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shouldnt be hard when the wheels pushed back get a new front crossmember and radius rods and a new lower control arm that should fix that then get new bumper headlight fender hood etc
Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bent lower control arm most liekl;y

new fender, headlight, corner, bumper

if the bumper support is bent, rather then jsut the "finger" new radiator support is in order

have a frame shope take a look, they will know if it really did expensive damage
Old 08-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Meh, I found out last night there IS frame damage.
I measured from the jack point to the large bolt under the radiator last night. Passenger side was 29", driver's side was 32".

It looks like the impact bent the front portion of the frame downwards.

At this point, I am thinking about just stripping this car and moving everything over to an 88 Si that I have sitting around. It already has a newly rebuilt motor, and the body is in excellent shape. But the interior and paint look like warmed-over hell.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a better photo:

Old 08-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like it need to be pulled!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if you do plan to do it yourself then I would say it is worth it and it serves you as experience.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rustyself
Meh, I found out last night there IS frame damage.
I measured from the jack point to the large bolt under the radiator last night. Passenger side was 29", driver's side was 32".

It looks like the impact bent the front portion of the frame downwards.

At this point, I am thinking about just stripping this car and moving everything over to an 88 Si that I have sitting around. It already has a newly rebuilt motor, and the body is in excellent shape. But the interior and paint look like warmed-over hell.
That's what I did, instead of getting my frame pulled.I just bought a shell and swapped everything over.It's in my build thread.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so here is an update for everyone:

We have decided to try a few things to get the frame back in shape before giving up on it. Today's adventure included a 52 Massey Ferguson Super 10 tractor and a jack. we Placed the front end loader of the tractor against 2x4 blocks on top of the car, then took a jack to the underside of the frame just behind where the front fender bolts up, like behind where the turn signal goes. I jacked it up, and then used the fender to see how far to go.
The good news is, it worked! Before, the fender would bolt on the at the nut closest to the hood hinge, and the middle bolt. But there was a 2-3 inch gap between the front bolt hole of the fender and the frame. Now it bolts great.

Next big issue we need suggestions for:
The frame is still pushed in sideways, like toward the driver's side of the car. When the fender is placed up to the car, the tire is almost sticking out past the fender. After doing some measuring, it appears to be pushed in about 3 inches on the very front end of the car. Halfway back down the fender line, it is perfect. We attached a chain to the tractor, and pulled it sideways pretty hard. I placed the hood on top of the car so we could tell when it was pulled out enough, by using the seam running down the side of the frame where the fender sits. We got it to pull out about halfway, but the hole in the frame we were using began tearing, so we gave up for the evening.

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to take care of this issue, where is the best place to get ahold of the pull the front of the frame outwards?

One other concern that we will probably run into after getting this issue resolved: The frame may also be pushed in towards the rear of the car, but I am not sure until we get the other stuff done. If I needed to pull the frame at the bottom forward just an inch or so, could I use the tow eyelet to attach a chain to and pull? Or is there somewhere better?

Thanks for all of the help people! I just want my baby back on the road.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh no
Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

idk man, my buddy forked out the 6 bills to get his frame straitened when he was forced to make the decision of tbone the cab that pulled in front of me or plow over the 8" tall curb next to me. he chose the curb...
Old 08-13-2010, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you may want to bring it to a body shop and have them at least straiten the frame.... then do the rest you self
Old 08-13-2010, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WigginsSiR
you may want to bring it to a body shop and have them at least straiten the frame.... then do the rest you self
Well, that's just it: I think the only damage is just right up in that front corner. I drove it yesterday evening, it still drives straight as an arrow, with zero pull or push when you accelerate or break, and no suspension noise when turned hard either way. You can remove your hands from the wheel at speed and it just tracks along great still.
The doors and all of the body parts still have good fitment with no gaps anywhere except that very corner.

Last edited by rustyself; 08-13-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that front apron is an important structural piece and it "should" be fixed correctly... if not next time you get hit it will prob end up pushing into the wheel and doing more damage.

if you can fix it then do so... i know i wouldnt be able to at my house
Old 08-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id say the front crossmember chain around that and also with the hood and fender off all the way around the passenger side frame, and thats good that you got it mostly straightened but uh for the wheel being pushed back. new lower control arm wich wont fit right unless you either unbend the radius rod or get a new one. id go for new my friend plowed a curb in the snow we change the control arm and it was so bent that it wouldnt line up with out us plowing the bar with a full size sledge lol