Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

serious overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serious overheating

Okay, I've replaced - the radiator, the thermostat, t-stat housing, fan switch, and the cooling temp sensor.

The head gasket seems to be okay because i'm not losing any coolant, and there is no oil in the water or water in the oil.

The temp will go up when you are sitting in traffic, pretty much only when youre sitting still. once you drive, its fine.

so... waterpump isn't leaking, but could it still be the waterpump? is there really anything else? I am stumped! when it says its overheating and you open the engine bay, it doesnt really seem all that hot.. but i already replaced the temp sensor. makes no sense.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: serious overheating

Does your fan kick on?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b18bc3po
Does your fan kick on?
Yes. Also forgot to mention, replaced fan switch.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No coolant in your oil doesn't always mean that your head gasket is okay.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EM2abe
No coolant in your oil doesn't always mean that your head gasket is okay.
I also checked the plugs, and the exhaust smells normal. I don't think it's the HG.

What else could it be?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Getting wiffs of antifreeze? Maybe radiator cap?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Getting wiffs of antifreeze? Maybe radiator cap?
replaced the radiator cap with the radiator.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, did the overheating happen before or after the radiator install? Did you bleed all the air out?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, did the overheating happen before or after the radiator install? Did you bleed all the air out?

as a result of the overheating, i replaced all those things one by one. still nothing.

and yes, i bled the system.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to check if you purcged all of the air out of the coolant system first, then once that is done, drive it around to see if i toverheats still. If it does, then you surely must have a warped head/bad head gasket. This is a common problem with 2001-2005 civics. They overheat after so long, and you cannot find the problem because normal signs dont show their faces... In the end, its a warped head.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check air in the system first as EM2abe wrote

But is very strange, because he is not loosing any coolant at all, head and head gasket could be Ok. When you have a bad head or headgasket the engine overheats because you loose coolant, it can be very slowly or very fast. I can´t think of anything. The cooling system seems to be Ok. Check your timing and check if your are running a very very lean fuel mix for any reason.

Overheating because of the waterpump occurs from loosing coolant. Do anyone had a waterpump that do not leak but the impeller in the inside disolves by exterme rust
Old 08-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tico Loco
Check air in the system first as EM2abe wrote

But is very strange, because he is not loosing any coolant at all, head and head gasket could be Ok. When you have a bad head or headgasket the engine overheats because you loose coolant, it can be very slowly or very fast. I can´t think of anything. The cooling system seems to be Ok. Check your timing and check if your are running a very very lean fuel mix for any reason.

Overheating because of the waterpump occurs from loosing coolant. Do anyone had a waterpump that do not leak but the impeller in the inside disolves by exterme rust
is it possible the waterpump just isnt flowing enough coolant?

the headgasket is fine, ive checked.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is seriously driving me nuts. i know it is not the headgasket. the radiator (and cap), tstat, coolant sensor, fan switch, have all been replaced. the system has been bled. WHYYYY is it overheating?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nik1703
is it possible the waterpump just isnt flowing enough coolant?

the headgasket is fine, ive checked.
No. Its not posible... The "fan" on your waterpump is made out of metal. you would definitely notice it, if it werent working correctly.

I am about 95% sure that it is your head/head gasket......

How exactly did you check your head gasket for problems?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No. Its not posible... The "fan" on your waterpump is made out of metal. you would definitely notice it, if it werent working correctly.

I am about 95% sure that it is your head/head gasket......

How exactly did you check your head gasket for problems?

Checked for loss of coolant (none), checked the plugs, smelled the exhaust, checked for oil in coolant, checked for coolant in oil, checked bottom side of oil cap.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Checked for loss of coolant (none), checked the plugs, smelled the exhaust, checked for oil in coolant, checked for coolant in oil, checked bottom side of oil cap.

Like i said, coolant leaking into the head is not a sure fire way to discovering a bad head gasket. Take your car to a shop and have them perform a "leak down" test. As for oil in coolant, this is just as i said with the coolant in the oil... same difference. And also, if you dont smell the coolant, you can still have a bad head gasket/warped head. I JUST dealt with this problem, and talked to the guy that worked on my car. Showed me and told me the in's and out's of this common problem with '01-'05 overheating problems.... SO... take it in.. Get a leak-down test done.. And that will tell you for sure. If it comes back as O-K, then I would still get the head resurfaced and replace the gaskets for the intake and exhaust sides, as well as the head gasket itself.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like i said, coolant leaking into the head is not a sure fire way to discovering a bad head gasket. Take your car to a shop and have them perform a "leak down" test. As for oil in coolant, this is just as i said with the coolant in the oil... same difference. And also, if you dont smell the coolant, you can still have a bad head gasket/warped head. I JUST dealt with this problem, and talked to the guy that worked on my car. Showed me and told me the in's and out's of this common problem with '01-'05 overheating problems.... SO... take it in.. Get a leak-down test done.. And that will tell you for sure. If it comes back as O-K, then I would still get the head resurfaced and replace the gaskets for the intake and exhaust sides, as well as the head gasket itself.
Okay so, lets say you're right and the gasket is bad, maybe it has a very very very tiny break in the gasket, which is why the car is not losing any coolant, and there is no air in the system. Why would it overheat then?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so, lets say you're right and the gasket is bad, maybe it has a very very very tiny break in the gasket, which is why the car is not losing any coolant, and there is no air in the system. Why would it overheat then?
In my honest opinion, there wouldnt be any break in your head GASKET itself... More than anything it will be a warped head.. With newer civics and newer hondas in general, the head gaskets dont really "blow"... The motor heads just warp a bit... I am assuming that this is the case with your car. Being that this issue probably hasnt been going on for a while, try driving your car around and about for about 45-60 miles... Then stop and let it sit for about 3 minutes in idle... (this is what I did) ...sure enough, I notice the coolant riding high in the coolant resevoir and the temp gauge rising. I thought it was because there was air in my cooling system. So I purged all my coolant, changed the thermostat, and changed the radiator fan switch. drove it around for a day and it was fine... But the next day, same problem. Overheating. coolant rides high in the resevoir. This made me call my reputable honda mechanic and he told me right off the bat, no questions asked... bad head gasket. If i've checked everything else, and still it overheats, then the head is the last thing to fix.

Here's the trump card - if you have a warped head gasket, then you may see a leak or notice coolant in your oil.. If you dont see these signs, then the exhaust side of your head may be leaking into your coolant causeing unwanted pressure in the cooling system. This may cause the coolant to be at an extremely high level in your resevoir. after a while the coolant level will lower to its normal state, but if you drive enough (45-60 miles) then you may notice this. If you havent noticed it, then I would still have a leakdown test done. I have heard of people having the test done and still no evidence.. but once they have the head resurfaced anyway and have all the gaskets replaced... Miraculously, their overheating days are gone.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In my honest opinion, there wouldnt be any break in your head GASKET itself... More than anything it will be a warped head.. With newer civics and newer hondas in general, the head gaskets dont really "blow"... The motor heads just warp a bit... I am assuming that this is the case with your car. Being that this issue probably hasnt been going on for a while, try driving your car around and about for about 45-60 miles... Then stop and let it sit for about 3 minutes in idle... (this is what I did) ...sure enough, I notice the coolant riding high in the coolant resevoir and the temp gauge rising. I thought it was because there was air in my cooling system. So I purged all my coolant, changed the thermostat, and changed the radiator fan switch. drove it around for a day and it was fine... But the next day, same problem. Overheating. coolant rides high in the resevoir. This made me call my reputable honda mechanic and he told me right off the bat, no questions asked... bad head gasket. If i've checked everything else, and still it overheats, then the head is the last thing to fix.

Here's the trump card - if you have a warped head gasket, then you may see a leak or notice coolant in your oil.. If you dont see these signs, then the exhaust side of your head may be leaking into your coolant causeing unwanted pressure in the cooling system. This may cause the coolant to be at an extremely high level in your resevoir. after a while the coolant level will lower to its normal state, but if you drive enough (45-60 miles) then you may notice this. If you havent noticed it, then I would still have a leakdown test done. I have heard of people having the test done and still no evidence.. but once they have the head resurfaced anyway and have all the gaskets replaced... Miraculously, their overheating days are gone.
Interesting, thank you very much for the info. That does happen, the level will rise significantly after 30 minutes of driving and then idling. I'll go ahead and do a leakdown test and go from there.

So lets say that is the problem, warped head. I'll need to pull the head off, take it to a machine shop and have them resurface the head, then do a headgasket and im good to go? How much would that all cost me if i do the work myself?

can anyone point me in the right direction of a headgasket/warped head DIY?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting, thank you very much for the info. That does happen, the level will rise significantly after 30 minutes of driving and then idling. I'll go ahead and do a leakdown test and go from there.

So lets say that is the problem, warped head. I'll need to pull the head off, take it to a machine shop and have them resurface the head, then do a headgasket and im good to go? How much would that all cost me if i do the work myself?
If you do it all yourself, make sure you know what you're doing.. Also, I would find a reputable place that can resurface it perfectly. All the parts, if bought at the dealership should come to around $250-$300.

you should buy:
-intake gasket
-exhaust gasket
-head gasket
-timing belt and driver belts
-timing belt tensioner(optional)
-waterpump (since you're working in that vicinity, you might as well replace it)
-cam seal

I might be missing a few parts, but im sure I've got them all. The belts, tensioner, and waterpump are optional really. Its just good preventative maintenance... Dont forget to get oil, coolant, and an oil filter as well. If i've left anything else out I will let you know by the end of the day.

EDIT: I wouldnt do this myself simply becaus ei dont trust myself to do it all. haha I would have a professional do it all. They'll send the head out to someone and have it resurfaced as well.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you do it all yourself, make sure you know what you're doing.. Also, I would find a reputable place that can resurface it perfectly. All the parts, if bought at the dealership should come to around $250-$300.

you should buy:
-intake gasket
-exhaust gasket
-head gasket
-timing belt and driver belts
-timing belt tensioner(optional)
-waterpump (since you're working in that vicinity, you might as well replace it)
-cam seal

I might be missing a few parts, but im sure I've got them all. The belts, tensioner, and waterpump are optional really. Its just good preventative maintenance... Dont forget to get oil, coolant, and an oil filter as well. If i've left anything else out I will let you know by the end of the day.
Earlier i read through a timing belt DIY, and that seemed pretty easy, nothing i cant do. I figure if i can do that, i should be able to take the head off. What kind of money are we talking for resurfacing the head, aside frmom all those parts?

Are there any DIY's for the head?

thanks.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure about a DIY for a head... The resurfacing charge that my guy gave me was only 50 dollars. He didnt charge me anything extra. He gave me a pretty good deal. Honda dealership told m ethey would do it for $1800. I gave them the finger and went to this guy who said $900. I told him i'd buy my own parts and then he said he'd charge me about $460 for labour. I ended up only paying about $700 for the whole thing. Are you in SoCal? I could hook you up if you are from around here.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it overheat even when both fans are on and on AC? i had a very similiar problem it turned out to be the fans switch not switching when it gets too hot.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure about a DIY for a head... The resurfacing charge that my guy gave me was only 50 dollars. He didnt charge me anything extra. He gave me a pretty good deal. Honda dealership told m ethey would do it for $1800. I gave them the finger and went to this guy who said $900. I told him i'd buy my own parts and then he said he'd charge me about $460 for labour. I ended up only paying about $700 for the whole thing. Are you in SoCal? I could hook you up if you are from around here.
Yeah, I am near the santa monica area...

Im defiintely looking in to buying the parts myself, doing all the labor myself and having the head resurfaced by a machine shop. shouldn't take me more than a few days.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You must have time on your side. hahaha I did not. Good luck.

Quick Reply: serious overheating