Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2005 Civic Instrument Cluster Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 2005 Civic Instrument Cluster Nightmare

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum so I wanted to share my experience with 2005 Civic SE (Canadian Special Edition).

Firstly, car is running great and I have no issues with it at all. Only problem was coming from Instrument Cluster. At the beginning it would just stop showing odometer count (it would show 88888888) and fuel gauge would go to full tank. After about 15 min of driving it would correct itself to a proper mileage. Then speedometer would stop working intermittently and once was stuck at max speed (stopped working at about 140 kmh) and dropped to right side bottom. Lately, it's giving me complete darkness, nothing is working but blinkers and handbrake sign, also no lights on dashboard. Comes back to life from time to time.

I tried dealership, but their recommendation was to get a new one. I was wandering if anyone had similar problem. Searches on internet found nothing similar so my case could be unique.

I tried fuses, cluster connections, cleaning wires and grounds, still nothing.

Thanks for reading...
Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 Civic Instrument Cluster Nightmare

This happened to a friend of mine and her 2005 ex. She noticed that the fuel gauge stopped working and the odometer went 8888888. The car was still under warranty and the entire gauge cluster was replaced.

I hope my cluster lasts. My warranty expires next month.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Belmont
entire gauge cluster was replaced.
Sounds like what the OP needs to do. When mine went I searched around to see what it could be and it seems like it's pretty common for them to die. They can be found used for not much money. The only thing I'm still working on is how to set the correct mileage on the cluster.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^It requires a specialized machine; most dealerships don't have the machine, but if they do it costs a small fortune to have them do, I've heard quotes between $350-$450.

The least expensive place I've ever seen is $85.
http://www.tacomaspeedometer.com/ind...d=12&Itemid=38
Old 01-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MindBomber
^^It requires a specialized machine; most dealerships don't have the machine, but if they do it costs a small fortune to have them do, I've heard quotes between $350-$450.
What kind of machine is needed? It's digital, shouldn't it just need to be reprogrammed? I could see a machine needed for an analog, but you could just do that with a drill.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AutoXer
What kind of machine is needed? It's digital, shouldn't it just need to be reprogrammed? I could see a machine needed for an analog, but you could just do that with a drill.
I don't know all that much about the device itself, so machine might not be the best word; from what I understand its a computer that has a specialized software built into it that allows you to change odometer mileage. I also was told on another forum it costs around $10k and they're rarely used, which is why dealers charge a lot for them.

Anyone able to back up that info would be much appreciated.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll call the dealership in the morning, because it makes no sense to me that they would charge $350 - $450 dollars to adjust the mileage, when a brand new cluster is just over $200.

If someone needed a new cluster and wanted the mileage to match, that'd set them back nearly $600, minimum? Doesn't sound right.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Plead da Fif

Very, very strange. I called the dealership and either the chick had no idea what I was referring to, or they really don't have the ability to change the mileage. (at that dealership)

What she said is that if someone replaces their cluster, that they (for legal reasons) post the original mileage on "an obnoxious, bright orange sticker" and place it on the the door jam.

So, I dunno. lol

I guess I could call other dealerships, but .. meh .. not worth worrying about, really.

Looks like if I ever need to have my mileage changed, I'll just have to hop on the freeway, drive to Tacoma and have it done.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Trial User

Thank you all for help...

I just came from Honda dealership and price for new cluster is $730 plus setting up mileage on new cluster (they didn't give me price for that).

I also talked to one guy that is repairing clusters and he says that this cluster is part of vehicles CAN-BUS network. And what that means, he couldn't guess if the cluster is it at fault, or it's a communication error in the network of which the cluster is tied to.

I guess I'll look for good used cluster or try to find someone who can repair existing one. That dealership price is rip-off.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Plead da Fif

Originally Posted by sinip
I just came from Honda dealership and price for new cluster is $730
What the hell? That's outrageous!

I don't know what model your car is (EX, LX, or whether it's a coupe or sedan, manual or automatic) but the list price for the 2005 Civic EX Special Edition coupe with a manual transmission a lot less than that. As seen here.

I'd shop around before I ever even considered paying that much for a cluster.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I've got an '04-'05 Civic cluster that's missing the plastic cover piece (the clear plastic). I'm unsure as to if it's an automatic version or not (I didn't really take a look at it closely). I'll sell it to ya' for $50 + shipping. I hate to see people getting hosed by dealerships. You should be able to swap the components over that you need, for full-functionality.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by It Wasn't Me
I guess I could call other dealerships, but .. meh .. not worth worrying about, really.

I wasn't really worried about it, because I figured it'd be pretty simple for the dealer to do; didn't realize it was so involved. Seriously though, thanks for trying

What the hell? That's outrageous!

I'd shop around before I ever even considered paying that much for a cluster.

That is definitely crazy. That's about 1/2 the value of my car.

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
You should be able to swap the components over that you need, for full-functionality.

Good looking out. It's definitely an easy swap, took about 10 minutes even with swapping the plastic sheild.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very, very strange. I called the dealership and either the chick had no idea what I was referring to, or they really don't have the ability to change the mileage. (at that dealership)

What she said is that if someone replaces their cluster, that they (for legal reasons) post the original mileage on "an obnoxious, bright orange sticker" and place it on the the door jam.
I'm endlessly surprised by the things dealerships don't know. I was in a pretty awkward situation the other day when I correct a tech at a dealership helping a customer next to me, but he brought the service manual out and I was right.

Maybe you should send that dealership a link to tacomaspeedometer haha
Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Trial User

Conclusion

Got the used cluster from eBay ($39). Hooked it up and everything is working just fine. Used cluster was difficult to find because my car is Canadian and its in km.

One funny thing, used cluster was "counting" (some rattling sound) when was hooked. My old one never did that. Later on, I'll try to open my old cluster and try to "fix" it.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey all, it took me a while, but I had the car into the dealer a couple of weeks ago (you know, priorities and all.)

Anyway, after listing off what work needed to be done, I started to ask about the cluster. By the time I said 'swapped cluster' and 'mileage' the woman behind the counter came back and said "not on the older models like yours." "The newer ones can be reprogrammed, but not the old ones." I'm assuming by newer, she meant 2006+.

She then also said something to the effect of legally we couldn't anyway. So it almost sounded like if they had the ability to, they probably wouldn't. I'm thinking that the only way they'd do it and cover themselves is if they swap a brand new cluster in themselves.

That doesn't clear much up, but it sounds like no matter what, there's not much that can be done about mileage on a used cluster.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Trial User

I have the same issue with erratic guages but also no connection to computer and also loss of power on acceleration. Alot points to the cluster? If I run the self test on the cluster and it works then what option do I have? 2003 Honda Civic EX. I just ran the test for the cluster and the cluster doesn't function. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by russ3828451; 01-16-2013 at 04:11 PM.