Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

won't shift into gear, help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't shift into gear, help!

So it was getting pretty hard to shift while I was driving home, I parked it at home and left it for the weekend. Came back hoping it fixed itself, and I went to push the clutch in and it hit the floor without barely touching it. And it wouldn't come back up when I let off. So I popped the hood and noticed the resevior was empty ( weird ). So I filled it, and now the clutch is back to normal. Sort of. But it won't shift into gear, it makes a little grinding noise when I try and put it in reverse, but won't go in, and 1st 2nd 3rd, etc won't allow me to shift into. Anyone know what's wrong/what I broke/or what I need to fix? I haven't really tried anything, a friend said to try and bleed the clutch, haven't tried it yet. Any help is appriciated.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: won't shift into gear, help!

you must have a bad leak. you definitely have air in the system if it got that bad and you simply added fluid without bleeding it. Fix the leak first, then fill and bleed it. make sure nothing is leaking inside the car.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have air in the system, and the clutch is not releasing fully. That will cause your reverse grind and keeping you out of the other gears. Bleeding the system will fix it temporarily. Fixing the leak will prevent it from happen again.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95boston_ex
So it was getting pretty hard to shift while I was driving home, I parked it at home and left it for the weekend. Came back hoping it fixed itself, and I went to push the clutch in and it hit the floor without barely touching it. And it wouldn't come back up when I let off. So I popped the hood and noticed the resevior was empty ( weird ). So I filled it, and now the clutch is back to normal. Sort of. But it won't shift into gear, it makes a little grinding noise when I try and put it in reverse, but won't go in, and 1st 2nd 3rd, etc won't allow me to shift into. Anyone know what's wrong/what I broke/or what I need to fix? I haven't really tried anything, a friend said to try and bleed the clutch, haven't tried it yet. Any help is appriciated.
Well, obviously you have a leak so your job is to try to find the leak. First things, first you need to get fluid back in the clutch. It's pretty simple to flush/bleed/refill your clutch cylinder but u need someone sitting the car.

You will need some hose for the brake fluid to bleed/fall into and a cup at the bottom with a lil bit of brake fluid in so that at the beginning if you suck up air it'll be the fluid instead. Then fill up the reservoir. Then find the bleeder valve for the clutch. Perhaps someone can chime in and tell you where it is. To find it u look at the top of the transmission and you'll see the clutch cylinders, follow those and you'll find the bleeder valve. Mine is in the front of the engine, kinda pointed at the radiator. To bleed, you will crack that open, I think about a three quarters of a turn is perfect, , then tell the person in the car "down". then the person in the car will push the clutch down and hold it. Then you close the valve, make sure it's closed, then tell them "up". They will lift the clutch up. Normally when doing this the clutch will stick to the floor, they will pull the clutch up. Do this about four times and then refill the reservoir. Make sure the reservoir doesn't go empty in the top or you will get air back in and you will have to go all way through again to get the air out. That will suck. You're gonna do about 5 refills of the reservoir until you see that fresh fluid is coming out of the bleeder valve. If you ever get air in the system you will pretty much tell because the clutch will keep sticking and won't come back up after pressing it after you think ur all done which will occur because when you're pressing the clutch and air is in the system it will not have anything pressing back on the clutch.

Then find the leak. It could very well be at the bottom of the reservoir 'though it's not likely.

Oh, I forgot that if you have a leak, you very well won't be able to get the fluid to pass from the reservoir to the bleeder valve.

Last edited by holmesnmanny; 07-08-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Trial User

I have had this happen to me once. I have a leak and if I don't watch the fluid levels it runs dry and I don't have clutch anymore. You need to bleed the system for it to return to normal. Stay on top of the fluid level. Mine runs dry every couple weeks. If yours is worse than this you will definitely need to fix it.

It has been suggested to me that it is the slave clutch cylinder. I haven't looked into it yet. But I will probably replace that.

My accord is temperamental in First and Reverse some times I have to let up on the clutch a bit to get it into these gears when the car isn't moving. Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth are all smooth. I think it is the mechanism that prevents you from going into First and Reverse at high speeds also makes it tough when not moving.