Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speedometer guage

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Speedometer guage

Hi,
I have recently notice that my 2000 civic si speedometer guage is bouncing around from time to time and then it will settle down after a while. The alternator was replace by Honda in 2008 of March, so I was wondering if it might be the speed sensor.?? I wonder what you guy's think it might be. any help will be appreciated thanks...
Old 07-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Speedometer guage

Any CEL codes?

Have you checked the VSS plug for damage, corrosion, or moisture?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Any CEL codes?

Have you checked the VSS plug for damage, corrosion, or moisture?
There is no damage to the VSS plug nor corrosion.

and yes i did check it first thing.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Bad Gauge cluster or you have a short somewhere in between the VSS to the cluster.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpecialBrownie
Bad Gauge cluster or you have a short somewhere in between the VSS to the cluster.
There is no codes.
Also the guage cluster is the original that came with the car and never been tampered with nor remove from its location, I hardly think its the guage cluster.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by madracer
There is no codes.
Also the guage cluster is the original that came with the car and never been tampered with nor remove from its location, I hardly think its the guage cluster.
Could be a bad cluster or cluster connector if there's no CEL code. Does the CEL work?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the odometer and trip counter still work? I have the same problem. My VSS completely stopped working, saw the plug was corroded, wired up a new plug and now it does the same the just the odometer works now. Check for a break in a wire.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my money is on the cluster. just cause you didn't tamper with it doesn't mean it won't fail. they have a tendency do so unfortunately. if you don't have a cel for vss and your cruise control (assuming you have it) still works, then i'm definitely thinking the cluster itself is bad.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Could be a bad cluster or cluster connector if there's no CEL code. Does the CEL work?

There is no cel. and yes the cel works as it should.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nothing_shocking
Does the odometer and trip counter still work? I have the same problem. My VSS completely stopped working, saw the plug was corroded, wired up a new plug and now it does the same the just the odometer works now. Check for a break in a wire.
The Odometer works and the trip meter works as well.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
my money is on the cluster. just cause you didn't tamper with it doesn't mean it won't fail. they have a tendency do so unfortunately. if you don't have a cel for vss and your cruise control (assuming you have it) still works, then i'm definitely thinking the cluster itself is bad.
Yes I still have my cruise control and airbag....Why would the cruise control have an affect on the speedometer.???
Old 07-08-2010, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For what it's worth, no codes were thrown when the speedometer stop working on my son's 92 Civic. Replaced the VSS anyway and that fixed the problem. I've read of other cases, as well, where a bad VSS did not throw a code. Not sure why that is, but apparently it happens.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cctgene
For what it's worth, no codes were thrown when the speedometer stop working on my son's 92 Civic. Replaced the VSS anyway and that fixed the problem. I've read of other cases, as well, where a bad VSS did not throw a code. Not sure why that is, but apparently it happens.
Thanks for the info, I'm leaning towards the VSS, because I called Honda dealer today and they said hardly likely the cluster will go bad just like that, unless someone tampered with the cluster before and mess up the wiring etc. I have checked the VSS today and found some corrosion and notice the VSS had a broken side clip, so the connector will plug into the VSS but it will not locked down, however the connector will not come out. so I'm going to order a new VSS from Honda next week and see if that fix the problem.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I still have my cruise control and airbag....Why would the cruise control have an affect on the speedometer.???
i brought up the part about cruise control because if it works then that means you are still getting a good vss signal. the speedometer just isn't displaying it.

The Odometer works and the trip meter works as well.
this further makes me believe that the cluster is at fault. if it was the vss you would have a cel on for it, cruise control would not work, and your odometer/trip would not function.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

So because a dude who probably doesn't even drive a Honda tell you that the cluster is perfect, without him ever seeing it, or you even knowing if it's perfect, guarantees it's perfect? Bullcrap. You'll trust a dude fresh out of HS auto body then a forum full of savvy Honda owners? This is bad troubleshooting. But go ahead, waste $200+ on a VSS and be wrong. I'll sit here and laugh.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpecialBrownie
So because a dude who probably doesn't even drive a Honda tell you that the cluster is perfect, without him ever seeing it, or you even knowing if it's perfect, guarantees it's perfect? Bullcrap. You'll trust a dude fresh out of HS auto body then a forum full of savvy Honda owners? This is bad troubleshooting. But go ahead, waste $200+ on a VSS and be wrong. I'll sit here and laugh.
You can laugh if you want, but its a matter of process of eliminations, you ever heard of that term. At lease its cheaper than buying a new cluster. If it don't work then no problem for me at lease i know i have a new speed sensor for a while anyways. Then I will jump to the Cluster. Its that simple....
Old 07-09-2010, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i brought up the part about cruise control because if it works then that means you are still getting a good vss signal. the speedometer just isn't displaying it.

this further makes me believe that the cluster is at fault. if it was the vss you would have a cel on for it, cruise control would not work, and your odometer/trip would not function.
Thanks for the input, I will call Honda Dealer today to find out the price of the complete cluster.....
Old 07-09-2010, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

through Honda will be obnoxiously expensive i'd bet. if that's the case then you might consider picking one up through eBay. em1 clusters typically go for $350-$400.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

through Honda will be obnoxiously expensive i'd bet. if that's the case then you might consider picking one up through eBay. em1 clusters typically go for $350-$400.

it will be a good choice to look on ebay, the only problem with that is that they all used and you not sure what you getting, where as with new from honda you know what you getting . The cluster is something i might want to buy new so there is no problems and your money is not wasted. the used one you might have the same problem and there is no refund.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you're smart about who you're buying from and read the listing carefully then you shouldn't have any trouble. if somebody dicks you over, then that's what the feedback system and paypal protection is for. now, if the cluster through Honda is only slightly more expensive then used on eBay then i'd probably just grab a new one. if the price however is much greater then i'd likely by a used one. that's just my thought on it anyway.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'd like to do the process of elimination without buying two new parts awhen I only needed one, but if you like spending money, fine. I'm just saying, your thought process was very wrong. Honda dudes that work at the counter don't know everything bro.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi,
I have recently notice that my 2000 civic si speedometer guage is bouncing around from time to time and then it will settle down after a while. The alternator was replace by Honda in 2008 of March, so I was wondering if it might be the speed sensor.?? I wonder what you guy's think it might be. any help will be appreciated thanks...
lol i have the exact problem and nope its not the alternator. its going to stop doing that and come to a complete stop soon, it is your 02 sensors if not it is your speed sensor
Old 08-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I have mention to others here on this thread, It can't be my Speed odometer being bad. I have replace the Speed Sensor and that have fix my problem with the speed gauge bouncing around. So for those who have the same issue please do not go and spend big money to buy a Cluster as it may not fix your problem. Start with the cheapest part first and that is go to the Advance Auto Store and have them put the digital tester on the battery and test for the Alternator and starter and battery load and see if that all is ok, if so then you may want to try a friend speed sensor on your car providing its the same as yours or just buy a new speed sensor, if not then you start checking the wiring behind the cluster and the grounds on the Transmission. Good luck to all who have help in this thread and Thank you all for the info.

The answer to my fix was the speed sensor which cost $68.00 new, and my Speed Odometer is working like it should. Thank god I did not buy a cluster for $200.00 from ebay like others said here, it would of been a waste of money.....
Old 08-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I have mention to others here on this thread, It can't be my Speed odometer being bad. I have replace the Speed Sensor and that have fix my problem with the speed gauge bouncing around. So for those who have the same issue please do not go and spend big money to buy a Cluster as it may not fix your problem. Start with the cheapest part first and that is go to the Advance Auto Store and have them put the digital tester on the battery and test for the Alternator and starter and battery load and see if that all is ok, if so then you may want to try a friend speed sensor on your car providing its the same as yours or just buy a new speed sensor, if not then you start checking the wiring behind the cluster and the grounds on the Transmission. Good luck to all who have help in this thread and Thank you all for the info.

The answer to my fix was the speed sensor which cost $68.00 new, and my Speed Odometer is working like it should. Thank god I did not buy a cluster for $200.00 from ebay like others said here, it would of been a waste of money.....

good to read this, I am trying to work out this same problem on my 94 civic, and will definitely buy a new VSS before getting into the wire checking...
Old 08-10-2010, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take the cluster out and get to the circuit board on the back of the speedo. There you will see a bunch of solder points, as the solder ages it sometimes cracks and leaves a bad connection. Take a soldering iron and heat the solder on each one of the points on the circuit board for the speedo. You might have to add some solder to some of them. I did this in my 95 accord and it took care of the problem. That is as long as your not throwing a speed sensor code.

Quick Reply: Speedometer guage