Notices

rollcages?? whats good??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rollcages?? whats good??

im rebuiding my car if you wanna call it that.. cut out both querter panels sanding outside and inside for fresh black paint and im really thinking about dragging the car at raceways!!! so my family wants me to install a rollcage cuz they know ill be testing my car in the streets lol... (not that its a good thing) but i think its a good thing to install a rollcage just incase so ..my question is were could i get a good one at?? i have a 93 SI no back seats .. i also see i wont beable to lean my seat back much with a cage huh?? im thinking like 4-6 point pretty much want it, if i could to cage me in not just behind the seats.. i searched JEGS and autopower but i rather take advice from people that been there and done that you know...
Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rollcages?? whats good??

local shops?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anything more then a half cage that's still going to be a daily driver is not a good idea. Even with cage padding a good wack could split your noggin like an egg. When you're on the track and have a good seat , helmet and a properly installed harness it is not a problem.

Just something to think about..
Old 09-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know if you give a helmet a good whack, the structure could be invisibly compromised and you should get a new one right?

Helmet or no helmet if your roll cage has hard unpadded bits in the wrong places then it needs fixing.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soedopelike89
im rebuiding my car if you wanna call it that.. cut out both querter panels sanding outside and inside for fresh black paint and im really thinking about dragging the car at raceways!!! so my family wants me to install a rollcage cuz they know ill be testing my car in the streets lol... (not that its a good thing) but i think its a good thing to install a rollcage just incase so ..my question is were could i get a good one at?? i have a 93 SI no back seats .. i also see i wont beable to lean my seat back much with a cage huh?? im thinking like 4-6 point pretty much want it, if i could to cage me in not just behind the seats.. i searched JEGS and autopower but i rather take advice from people that been there and done that you know...
hopefully you're testing the thing on the streets with a helmet, or else a cage is just gonna be unsafe on the streets. Sound like you really need to research if you need a cage or not before you jump into things.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

precision Fabrication in Dracut, MA 978-735-4510
Old 09-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My talon has a cage, and head clearance sucks.. From factory my 2g it sucks with completely stock trim. Im tall 6'3".

On my caged 1g (10pt), I had to mount a kirkey seat on the floor, its low enough so I can swing my head under the cage. I didn't like the idea of being able to swing my head back and forth and hit the cage, since I drive the car on the street (rarely). At the track with my helmet on, it hits if I swing my head to the left.. however, thats not the cages fault. Its jut the fact that the car has a low roofline, and its not an issue anyways once my helmet is on.

The SFI spec padding for cages is super hard anyways, I see people at the track ALL using that insulating stuff for plumbing, then just ziptied on. Im the only one I see with the proper SFI spec padding on my cage. Its HARD stuff!

Anyways.

Don't buy a prefab'ed cage, you want it to fit pefectly for maximum clerance, have one built by a chassis place.

Really, I caged my car because I needed to for tech at the track to go fast, but.. If you don't need it, don't do it. Especially in a car you drive on the street ALL the time. Having a cage sucks for being comfortable, it really does. Id rather go back to be being uncaged, its not like I go make 5 passes a year and just get booted. I like to race often and compete, it depends what you like to do though.

11.50 is pretty quick! So, if you have plans to go faster, you should just build a dedicated drag car, and cage that, do it properly!
Old 09-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you 14?
Old 09-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a full cage in my street car and I cant get my head near the hoops, clearance is perfect, though I do have harnesses too, but even still that B pillar next to my head isnt going to be soft on an impact either.