Notices

Mig welding aluminum intercooler piping

Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mig welding aluminum intercooler piping

Would mig welding aluminum piping be a good or bad idea reason being is so i dont have to buy a 1500 tig welder along with the mig i'm getting. It just easer to use a mig with a spool gun. Can this be done and still look clean. Also since this is a custom set up on my upper charge pipe how do i install my bov flange. Meaning how is that hole cut and welded how could this be one in my garage ?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:19 AM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: Mig welding aluminum intercooler piping

you could probably do it with pulsed mig, but it would be pretty tough with a spool gun.

And if you dont know how to install a BOV flange, you should probably just consider paying someone to weld it all up.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i'm a DIY kinda person and everything i've done on my other car i did my self except my welding and bottom end building but i've have built bottom ends since than and this time around on my new project starting soon I would really like to do EVERYTHING. I'm very eager to learn i do a lot of reading and researching. I just dont know anything about welding which is why i plan on buying a mig and doing a lot of practice welds before i attemp my actual piping But dont want to buy a mig and a tig. So any help or tips would be great i'm not a noob with cars or turbo hondas just welding. And I know SS piping would be probually easier with a mig but i'm unsure if i want ss piping instead of aluminum i'de rather have aluminum. Why would it be hard with a spool guy ? the people at cyber weld said thats what i would need it was a miller welder if that matters. And i'm just unsure about the flange i know it probually sounds stupid but i just dont know how that whole would be made like a whole saw or car-bi cutters. Again i appreciate any help that i can get
Old 09-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b16bri
Well i'm a DIY kinda person and everything i've done on my other car i did my self except my welding and bottom end building but i've have built bottom ends since than and this time around on my new project starting soon I would really like to do EVERYTHING. I'm very eager to learn i do a lot of reading and researching. I just dont know anything about welding which is why i plan on buying a mig and doing a lot of practice welds before i attemp my actual piping But dont want to buy a mig and a tig. So any help or tips would be great i'm not a noob with cars or turbo hondas just welding. And I know SS piping would be probually easier with a mig but i'm unsure if i want ss piping instead of aluminum i'de rather have aluminum. Why would it be hard with a spool guy ? the people at cyber weld said thats what i would need it was a miller welder if that matters. And i'm just unsure about the flange i know it probually sounds stupid but i just dont know how that whole would be made like a whole saw or car-bi cutters. Again i appreciate any help that i can get
Sounds like you need to take some welding classes where you go there and use their equipment for a few weeks and all of your questions would be answered...
Old 09-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's kinda hard i one dont have that money right now second i dont have that time i work full time and starting to go back to school at night for automotve. So i was just kinda looking for some quick help or guidence