Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Disable stock alarm system??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable stock alarm system??

Hi,

I have a 2004 Honda Accord Sedan (4 cylinder) 124,000 miles with the stock alarm system. When it rains the alarm goes off. I have had most of the alarm system components inside the car replaced under my warrantee with no luck. The dealer tells me that the most likely faulty component is the hood latch trigger, about $350.00 to replace (no thanks)..I'm now out of warrantee and want to just disable the alarm all-together and still be able to lock the doors with the key fob. How do I do this?

Thanks..Please advise..
Old 06-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disable stock alarm system??

Your best bet would be to find a wiring diagram for the stock alarm and see where u can disable it ...
Old 06-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe some door switches or the bonnet is shorting to the body ?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I called the dealer today and the service department told me that if they disabled the hood latch sensor it would turn off the entire alarm system..So, I brought it in. After I got there they changed their story and said by disabling it, the alarm system would still be active..It sounds like they really have no idea. I let them disable it (at no charge). They did say that disabling it may or may not solve the problem (because they really have no idea why the alarm keep going off).
Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The dealer should easily be able to diagnose this problem. First off is the security system factory or dealer installed? THe dealer has the ability to use their scan tool to access info as to what actually set the security system off. Nine out of ten times the hood latch is at fault especially with vehicles which have had previous front end damage but hood latch not replaced. You can point them in the right direction by letting them know about Honda published Service News article November 2007 for directions. Three hundred bucks for hood latch? 40-60 for part whats the rest for?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's factory installed..The car has never been in an accident. But the front end does get bumped every once and a while when pulling into a parking spot. So by them deactivating the hood latch..I should be 90% assured that was the problem? Also, I'm assuming that when I leave the doors unlocked, the alarm system does not automatically arm itself??? I guess that $300 + is just dealer B.S. pricing...
Old 06-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why not buy one, install it reconnect it and see what happens? You will not know if that is the problem or not becuase now the security system doesn' t arm because of the disconnected hood latch switch therefore the alarm can't sound by itself because it will not activate. Also now your lock confirm function doesn't work( I don't think). By lock confirm I mean locking the doors twice in a row from the remote. The second time should give an audible confirmation using the horn. Again the dealer should easily be able to diagnose and repair this. I would try calling another dealer
Old 06-24-2010, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As KwayRacing points out the latch is cheap , you can get it online for 38$ an change . Its fairly straight forward to replace , under 1/2hr .
On way you can tell, just open(detach wire and tape temp) the wire to the lock , that would make security system see the hood always closed. If that stops it from random going off then just replace it .
Just to be sure the above statement is right , check the continuity with hood up (AFAIK should be grounded) then lock hood latch see that it goes to open (no continuity). Which ever way it goes with hood locked for a test , temporary set the wire to latch .

here part #4

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_...nGroupID=11711
Old 06-24-2010, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elad68
It's factory installed..The car has never been in an accident. But the front end does get bumped every once and a while when pulling into a parking spot. So by them deactivating the hood latch..I should be 90% assured that was the problem? Also, I'm assuming that when I leave the doors unlocked, the alarm system does not automatically arm itself??? I guess that $300 + is just dealer B.S. pricing...
Your factory installed alarm is an add-on to the Honda factory Keyless entry system. The specific alarm brand and model is the KARR 4040a. Its a standard piece used in almost all the Honda vehicles sold with the additional security option.

Your hood latch may not be the problem. There's a way to determine the cause of the alarm triggering by yourself. Lock your car as you normally would, then wait for the alarm to randomly go off again. You'll be notified that it was triggered once you unlock your doors by 4 quick horn honk sounds. Once you get in your car, pay attention to the LED installed by the dealer. You'll either see one, two, or three blinks of the LED. Each sequence is followed by a short pause. FOr instance a 2 LED Blink would be something like: BLINK BLINK ___________BLINK BLINK__________BLINK BLINK.

1 LED Blink: Alarm triggered by Voltage Sensing Component (Lights, shock sensor, wires shorting)
2 LED Blinks: Alarm Triggered by Trunk or Hood Sensor
3 LED Blinks: Alarm Triggered by Door being opened.

And you can also program the alarm to lock the doors automatically after you leave your vehicle without having to bring it to the dealer. If interested, LMK and i'll breakdown the procedure for you.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

According to the dealer who disconnected it (the tech who worked on my car also has the same model & year), the alarm is still active even with the hood latch sensor deactivated. To confirm this, I double clicked the key fob at the dealer, the horn sounded twice and the alarm system light inside the car blinks.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

EnjoyTheRideDC2 - The only problem with your solution is that the alarm system only goes off when it's raining and 99% of the time it goes off at 3am, I'm of course usually asleep..Not fun. I called another dealer and they said they could not find the problem unless it actually went off for them too..I live in the Chicago area, so you would think that I had intelligent dealer tech's in the area...but I guess not.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by elad68
According to the dealer who disconnected it (the tech who worked on my car also has the same model & year), the alarm is still active even with the hood latch sensor deactivated. To confirm this, I double clicked the key fob at the dealer, the horn sounded twice and the alarm system light inside the car blinks.
If the tech disconnected the latch ,then opening hood would not trigger alarm , and then latch would not be cause. make sure the wire that was disconnected is not grounding somewhere. It sounds like your going to need someone to go through the alarm and check it out .
Old 06-24-2010, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Accessory Security System Triggers Unexpectedly
(Supersedes 05-010, dated April 15, 2005, to update the information marked with the black bar)
SYMPTOM
The accessory security system triggers unexpectedly
(the horn sounds and the parking lights flash)
PROBABLE CAUSE
A software problem in the security system control unit
(control unit).
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace the control unit and the security system
microphone.
NOTE: The microphone must be replaced because
control units are matched to their microphones during
the manufacturing process. Using the original
microphone may result in security system problems.
PARTS INFORMATION
Security System Control Unit with Microphone:
P/N 08E51-SDA-101R1, H/C 8028854